Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothes shopping is getting way too expensive

Anyone else going broke buying smaller clothes? I know I should wait until I am closer to my goal, but I have to have nice dresses for work and my fat clothes are WAY too big on me now (oh darn! lol). I'm not complaining, I've been dreaming of having this problem for a long time, so it's all good. Anyone ever tried one of those clothing rental services? I was looking at Gwinnie Bee since they carry dresses from my favorite store (Nordstrom), but I haven't pulled the trigger & signed up. We need a clothing trading forum on here.

Edited by shelly420

costco surprisingly has some great deals and they carry some large sizes. I just bought a bunch of tops for $9.99-$12.00 on their website. Anyone know of other cheap places to buy clothes?

I do thrift stores until I’m at my goal weight that way I don’t break my bank lol

49 minutes ago, shamarm31 said:

I do thrift stores until I’m at my goal weight that way I don’t break my bank lol

Same. Thrift stores, yard sales, and hand-me-downs, oh my!

Have you tried a tailored suit or dress? High end tailors can provide excellent fabric that can be retailored for a fee. Something to try out. Dress might be 3x cost, but use it 4x as long, plus you get a perfect fit. I'd talk to a tailor if you need clothes for work. I got a tailored suit for a wedding years ago. I was told it could be retailored many times if I was going to get smaller.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am already starting to prepare for this issue lol. I have a shop near me that buys your clothes and resale’s them. I already have a trash bag of clothes I am taking Wednesday to get credit for the store so when I need smaller clothes, I can go to the store and buy them.

I also plan on buying only from clearance and other thrift shops

Platos Closet is great if there is one near you. Many more nice 2nd hand stores to chose from also

I’m a big fan of TJ Maxx and Marshall’s too if you have those in your area. They have nicer options, but are way less pricey than most other places.

I love both places. I’ve bought a lot from there since I’ve been loosing. I talked to a lady the other day who didn’t even know they carried plus sizes. But clothes can be so expensive, I still shop at Walmart and target just to get me by. No need to spend $40+ on a top that I will be too small for in a couple months.

8 hours ago, shamarm31 said:

Yes, I definitely need to check that out.

6 hours ago, wjgo said:

Have you tried a tailored suit or dress? High end tailors can provide excellent fabric that can be retailored for a fee. Something to try out. Dress might be 3x cost, but use it 4x as long, plus you get a perfect fit. I'd talk to a tailor if you need clothes for work. I got a tailored suit for a wedding years ago. I was told it could be retailored many times if I was going to get smaller.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been thinking of having a few items tailored, but I just don't know of one in my area. I need to ask my coworkers to recommend one. Then I might sell a few, and the rest I'll give to a woman's shelter. I'm guessing they could use some plus sized work type clothes for women in need.

2 hours ago, lo.la said:

I’m a big fan of TJ Maxx and Marshall’s too if you have those in your area. They have nicer options, but are way less pricey than most other places.

WE have both where I live, but I haven't been in years. I'll definitely check them out. Thank you.

costco surprisingly has some great deals and they carry some large sizes. I just bought a bunch of tops for $9.99-$12.00 on their website. Anyone know of other cheap places to buy clothes?

ROSS

Focus on sales and cheap clothes over fashion, for now anyway.
Thrift stores are a major key, I know it kinda sucks... but it's just a stop gap until you hit your goal or stable weight. You can also get items from Amazon, ebay or some overseas sources for a good price.