Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band and Gall Stones

I just had my ultrasound yesterday to make sure everything is okay (Pre-op) and I found out that I have gall stones. I didn't know I had them, never had a problem or pain. My question is, have any of you had gall stones that interfered with having your lap band surgery. I really don't want to have two surgeries, one to take care of the gall stones, and the other to put in the lap band.

My lap band surgery is scheduled for December 17th.

Thanks!

Why not ask your Dr if your gallbladder can be taken out at the same time? I had mine removed before the lapband but only because I had horrible pain and it was about to burst. Good luck!

Sounds familiar. My pre-op showed gallstones, and I too was surprised. My surgeon told me he'd remove the gallbladder, and if it wasn't inflamed, he would do the band at the same time. Luckily, all went well, and I lost my gallbladder and gained a band during the same procedure. I think I just ended up with more incisions (9) than most folks have for just banding.

I also had my gallbladder removed 3 weeks before my banding. It was inflamed and painful and the risk of infection was too great to do them both at once. It was a real boost for the pre-op diet. I lost 10 lbs with the gallbladder and 10 on the pre-op.

I had to have my gall bladder out about 2 months ago. If I'd known it was bad before my band surgery, I would have requested they be done at the same time. The same surgeon did both procedures and the GB removal incision pretty much just overlaps my port incision. The smaller incisions are in different places, but who cares...

Hi, I have to have my gall bladder out too. I should be getting that out next week some time. My doctor does not do both surgeries at the same time. He says that the bile inside the gall bladder can contaminate the band if it leaks. Well, I know some doctors do it at the same time and from what I've read, there is controversy about whether it should be done together or not. Since I don't want to change doctors at this point, I'm going to have to trust what he says. He told me that he will do the lap band 4 weeks later.

Thanks Alfie -

Did you have problems with your gall bladder? Or did they discover you had gall stones when they did the ultrasound for the lap band? I haven't had a problem at all, I didn't know I had gall stones.

Where are you from and whose your doctor?

Thanks,

Rosita

Hi Rosita,

Actually, I don't have gall stones. My gall bladder is not working properly. In a manner of speaking, it's misfiring (my own words, I forgot how he put it). I have had problems with my gall bladder for many years. Long ago, I was diagnosed with sand in my gall bladder but at the time, the doctor did not recommend surgery (I don't know why).

I mentioned all the problems I've had with my gall bladder to my surgeon so he wanted to have it checked out. Now, when I was tested, they said I have no sand there. Then, I went for a special test called a HIDA scan and it showed the problem. I have actually had what I call attacks for many years. Sometimes I would only have a couple a year while others times I would have one or two a month, so at this time, I'm glad it's coming out.

Even though you're not having pain now, it's good that you are having it removed as weight loss can be a problem with gall stones.

:sick:sick:sick:sick:sick

The symptoms I get are nausea and severe pain under the right rib cage and going around the right side of my back. It usually will keep me up at night for several hours and then it disappears as fast as it came.

My doctor is Dr Nishimura who is part of the team with Dr Vohra from South Nassau Communities Hospital in Long Island, New York.

My gallbladder is the reason this all started. I went to the surgeon to schedule gallbladder removal and he suggested I would qualify for the lapband. So, I'm now scheduled for both on Nov 19. If all goes well and no Fluid from the gallbladder gets out, he will go ahead and do the lapband. It's been a long wait with all the lapband requirements and testing. I can't wait to get the GB out. Wish me luck.

This is all good information for me. I don't know if my gall bladder will be taken out yet. I meet with the surgeon on December 6th. I guess I'll find out then. Thank you so much for all of you comments and for telling me your experiences. Good luck with everything.

your lucky they can take care of it at the same time .i had my gullblader taken out and the worst of it all was the gas that they give you. you'll be okay. you have a banded date your doing great

You should probably just request to have your gall bladder removed at the same time. I have known I've had gall stones for about 10 years. They are too big to pass and my prior doctor did not consider them a threat. My new PCP thinks I should have it removed because there's always a chance newer ones will form, and the small ones are the dangerous ones.

So, I will getting my band in early Jan in Mexico and the doctor there had suggested that the gall bladder should just be taken out at the sametime.

My mother-in-law had her's removed earlier this year at the same time she had her gastric bypass (in the US). Everything went fine.