Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey there. I was sleeved on Tuesday of last week (May 8th). I have done my fair share of research and reading but didn't realize just how hard the recovery would be. The gas pains are unbearable, Gas-X does nothing, and it hurts when I eat, drink, move or sit. I am walking as much as I can but due to me feeling sick after eatinf and drinking I barely can get around the apartment more than once. I can't stomach the Protein Shakes, they make me sick and frustrated. I get about 16-32 ounces of Water in daily. The incisions hurt on and off but the pain seems to be tapering off. I just feel miserable and it feels like every good step I take, something sets me back 3 places. I get maybe a couple bites in of baby food or pudding before I'm full. I will drink MAYBE half a Protein Shake before feeling like it's torture. I had severe IBS before this so I am being super careful with what I take in, but since I have another full week of full liquids it's like I feel like I am never eating anything. I also feel off and on Constipation that kinda clears with diarrhea in the mornings (I took Miralax last night....NOT A GOOD IDEA LOL!) Sweet things make me gag and I am worried about the Protein intake. I don't want to go back to the hospital but I don't want to force myself to eat either. Did anyone else have these issues? Did it get better/is it normal to not get enough protein the first couple weeks? Did anyone have bad IBS that was improved?

Thank you in advance for the feedback. This is such a huge deal, I can't believe some people say it's nothing. It's definitely SOMETHING. 😂

If you have lactose issues related to the IBS then any shakes made with milk products are going to be hard to take. Maybe consider a vegan shake or using alternative milks like soy, almond or coconut. My program does not allow any pudding or baby food on full liquids but plain, non fat yogurt 1 oz/hr is allowed.

If you are having diarrhea every morning it doesn't sound like Constipation and Miralax is only going to suck more Water in there.

Bone Broth is pretty good and has some Protein.

Since the sleeve doesn't involve anything except making your stomach smaller any foods that you could not tolerate preop due to you IBS are still going to be problematic.

You really should get in touch with the nutritionist or other provider that did your preparation for surgery, Don't wait until you feel weak and dehydrated.

Sorry you are having such a rough time of it.

Edited by MIZ60

One to consider is Svelte, soy based but I tasted no soy taste in the French vanilla I have. Alas the Protein Count,is lower than premier protein😝

Have you tried clear Protein? Premier makes a clear protein that is similar to juice, I mix in a crystal light to enhance the flavor. It is not uncommon to root reach your protein goal within the first week I believe.

If you’re allowed pudding/applesauce I would just mix Protein Powder in with that. I also recommend splitting up your protein so it doesn’t feel as if I am trying to drink a whole shake at on once. I am 4 days post op and can get 40 grams in if I do a protein breakfast/lunch/dinner and continuously sip Water in between

but yes, call your nutritionist if this continues and you can’t reach your goals

Hey there. I was sleeved on Tuesday of last week (May 8th). I have done my fair share of research and reading but didn't realize just how hard the recovery would be. The gas pains are unbearable, Gas-X does nothing, and it hurts when I eat, drink, move or sit. I am walking as much as I can but due to me feeling sick after eatinf and drinking I barely can get around the apartment more than once. I can't stomach the Protein Shakes, they make me sick and frustrated. I get about 16-32 ounces of Water in daily. The incisions hurt on and off but the pain seems to be tapering off. I just feel miserable and it feels like every good step I take, something sets me back 3 places. I get maybe a couple bites in of baby food or pudding before I'm full. I will drink MAYBE half a Protein Shake before feeling like it's torture. I had severe IBS before this so I am being super careful with what I take in, but since I have another full week of full liquids it's like I feel like I am never eating anything. I also feel off and on Constipation that kinda clears with diarrhea in the mornings (I took Miralax last night....NOT A GOOD IDEA LOL!) Sweet things make me gag and I am worried about the Protein intake. I don't want to go back to the hospital but I don't want to force myself to eat either. Did anyone else have these issues? Did it get better/is it normal to not get enough Protein the first couple weeks? Did anyone have bad IBS that was improved?

Thank you in advance for the feedback. This is such a huge deal, I can't believe some people say it's nothing. It's definitely SOMETHING. [emoji23]

Hi!
I had the sleeve done 5/10 and my recovery has been super easy. I’m so sorry you’re going through all this! But I do have some questions.
Are you already on full liquid diet? I’m on clear for 10 days after surgery and then I can go to full. Maybe the fact that you’re trying to eat pudding and sweet stuff is what’s upsetting your tummy?
I did have IBS before my surgery, but I’ve had no problems after. I was instructed to take a stool softener nightly and that has kept me from getting constipated. I do get little bouts of diarrhea, but I’m told that’s because all I’m taking in are liquids.
As for the protein, my NUT suggests that you keep working to get that 64oz of Fluid a day (it definitely takes time though!) and starting on day 1 increase your calories and protein each day. So day 1: 100 calories and 10g protein. Day 2: 200 calories and 20g protein ect until you get to 800 and 75-90.
My advice is don’t push yourself super hard, but do constantly sip sip sip. I can actually take pretty normal drinks now; not GULPS, but not sips. And if it continues to be too hard to get your fluids, call your team. Most readmissions to the ER after WLS are for dehydration.
Hope you feel better soon!

HW: 311
SW: 255 VSG
CW: 252
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

29 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

If you have lactose issues related to the IBS then any shakes made with milk products are going to be hard to take. Maybe consider a vegan shake or using alternative milks like soy, almond or coconut. My program does not allow any pudding or baby food on full liquids but plain, non fat yogurt 1 oz/hr is allowed.

If you are having diarrhea every morning it doesn't sound like Constipation and Miralax is only going to suck more Water in there.

Bone broth is pretty good and has some Protein.

Since the sleeve doesn't involve anything except making your stomach smaller any foods that you could not tolerate preop due to you IBS are still going to be problematic.

You really should get in touch with the nutritionist or other provider that did your preparation for surgery, Don't wait until you feel weak and dehydrated.

Sorry you are having such a rough time of it.

My body has always been cranky and mean to me. So it is normal. 😂 I use all Lactaid, no lactose products. The thickness and taste makes me sick. I see the nurse Wednesday for the post op appointment so I can talk about this. I just want it to get better.

13 minutes ago, Frustr8 said:

One to consider is Svelte, soy based but I tasted no soy taste in the French vanilla I have. Alas the Protein Count,is lower than premier protein😝

Thank you! I will try that!

11 minutes ago, Bryn910 said:

Have you tried clear Protein? Premier makes a clear Protein that is similar to juice, I mix in a crystal light to enhance the flavor. It is not uncommon to root reach your protein goal within the first week I believe.

If you’re allowed pudding/applesauce I would just mix Protein Powder in with that. I also recommend splitting up your protein so it doesn’t feel as if I am trying to drink a whole shake at on once. I am 4 days post op and can get 40 grams in if I do a protein breakfast/lunch/dinner and continuously sip Water in between

but yes, call your nutritionist if this continues and you can’t reach your goals

All great suggestions. Thank you so much!

9 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

Hi!
I had the sleeve done 5/10 and my recovery has been super easy. I’m so sorry you’re going through all this! But I do have some questions.
Are you already on full liquid diet? I’m on clear for 10 days after surgery and then I can go to full. Maybe the fact that you’re trying to eat pudding and sweet stuff is what’s upsetting your tummy?
I did have IBS before my surgery, but I’ve had no problems after. I was instructed to take a stool softener nightly and that has kept me from getting constipated. I do get little bouts of diarrhea, but I’m told that’s because all I’m taking in are liquids.
As for the Protein, my NUT suggests that you keep working to get that 64oz of Fluid a day (it definitely takes time though!) and starting on day 1 increase your calories and protein each day. So day 1: 100 calories and 10g protein. Day 2: 200 calories and 20g protein ect until you get to 800 and 75-90.
My advice is don’t push yourself super hard, but do constantly sip sip sip. I can actually take pretty normal drinks now; not GULPS, but not sips. And if it continues to be too hard to get your fluids, call your team. Most readmissions to the ER after WLS are for dehydration.
Hope you feel better soon!

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Yes. Full liquid diet until next Tuesday. Looking forward to the soft foods. Ugh.

Yeah the diarrhea is just little soft stools not really bad. Just moving the protein through. Sometimes before I can manage it. 😣 How bad was your IBS?

I DEFINITELY sip not gulp. Gulping hurts so bad. It's just the thought and taste of them makes me sick. Except the baby food fruits. I seem to like those, kinda like applesauce. The gas pains are a huge HUGE issue in general. Sigh.

Yes. Full liquid diet until next Tuesday. Looking forward to the soft foods. Ugh.
Yeah the diarrhea is just little soft stools not really bad. Just moving the Protein through. Sometimes before I can manage it. [emoji21] How bad was your IBS?
I DEFINITELY sip not gulp. Gulping hurts so bad. It's just the thought and taste of them makes me sick. Except the baby food fruits. I seem to like those, kinda like applesauce. The gas pains are a huge HUGE issue in general. Sigh.

Holy crap! Literally! That’s my IBS history. Eat anything, diarrhea 10 minutes later. Cramping all the time. Just AWFUL. I’m actually better now. Like you said, just the little poops.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

36 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

Holy crap! Literally! That’s my IBS history. Eat anything, diarrhea 10 minutes later. Cramping all the time. Just AWFUL. I’m actually better now. Like you said, just the little poops.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I had IBS with HORRIBLE Constipation. So I started the Low FODMAP diet pre-op and it was helping but super difficult. Ugh. I heard IBS can and does improve with this surgery though. I just am so upset and anxious because even at a week post-op I feel like I am doing everything wrong or not doing enough. I am terrified of going back to the ER. It feels like I can't win.

I had IBS with HORRIBLE Constipation. So I started the Low FODMAP diet pre-op and it was helping but super difficult. Ugh. I heard IBS can and does improve with this surgery though. I just am so upset and anxious because even at a week post-op I feel like I am doing everything wrong or not doing enough. I am terrified of going back to the ER. It feels like I can't win.

Just worry about the Fluid right now. Like my NUT told me, the human body can live 3 WEEKS without food but only 3 DAYS without Water.< br>

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

41 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

Just worry about the Fluid right now. Like my NUT told me, the human body can live 3 WEEKS without food but only 3 DAYS without Water.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

That's a good point! I think I get about 16-32 ounces of Water and other fluids in a day. I can't seem to reach 64 yet.

That's a good point! I think I get about 16-32 ounces of Water and other fluids in a day. I can't seem to reach 64 yet.

64oz is HARD! I’m not there yet either, but I keep on trying. My pee is pretty clear though so I must be staying hydrated enough! Who knew pee would be so important? [emoji23]

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

9 hours ago, moondoggie1983 said:

64oz is HARD! I’m not there yet either, but I keep on trying. My pee is pretty clear though so I must be staying hydrated enough! Who knew pee would be so important?

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

Ahhh! Yes! I always check the color of my pee and make sure it isn't dark. It sounds so silly but its so important! It seems I am getting just enough but I still am working towards more.