Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric haul! What have you bought for your journey or plan to buy?

ZPS I am also preop,but I pray for not much longer!😛

Hi all, I read through this thread last night and realized I was both lucky and horrified.
Lucky, because my center gave me a binder similar to the one discussed. I find it surprising that some of you haven't received a whole lot more information from your docs pre-surgery.
And horrified because I am a super-nerd book girl, and before my first seminar I had read every book about wls I could get my hands on. And every medical journal article on the subject available to me online.
Why are you waiting until surgery to read the books you mention? They have fabulous suggestions for what to bring to the hospital, what to eat, recipes for each stage of recovery, etc. Not to mention dealing with emotions post op. And blow-by-blows of what you're going to feel like after surgery as you heal.
If you own a kindle, Alex Brecher's The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass is only $9.99, as are the other "Big Books" (on Gastric Sleeve and Weight Loss Surgery). "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" is about $11.99. "The Emotional First-Aid Kit" is $9.99. And on and on. You can of course buy the paperback books as well. If you are a Prime member you'll find books you can read for FREE, and if you do Kindle Unlimited (or a month's free trial) you can find more free books than you'll know what to do with. (Sorry, I don't know about Nook or other Apps).
Speaking of FREE, go to Amazon, find what you'd like to read, and then go to your local library and find it. Sometimes a book from the shelf, an interlibrary loan, sometimes borrowing electronically--you can almost always get your hands on what you need. Why wait until post-surgery to read about what it's like, and how to prepare for it?
I think I'll be way too stupid with pain to read anything after surgery, but that's just me. I'm already like that half the time. I'm going to write very clear checklists for myself (and whoever might help me) on what to eat and when to take meds. Then it's just choosing the right level of silly for my TV watching--Steve Martin? The Princess Bride on endless repeat? Monty Python? Miranda Hart? French & Saunders?
I always write too much. Sorry for that. (My family is trying to teach me how to text. Imagine how that's going).

I don’t need to read every page on google for bariatric surgery nor do I need an encyclopedia so don’t be horrified for me. I have a nutritionist and a team of doctors and a line to reach my surgeon 24/hours a day. I don’t need my procedure broken down to me I know what it’s all about as well as most of us who decided this is was best for our health. This is a support group where people exchange ideas, recipe and any other sort of curiosity. These forums aren’t in place for doctors advice, with that said all your materials couldn’t prepare you for what lies ahead because that’s to be determined. like yourself all we can do is inform ourselves and exchange ideas and share our own individual experiences.

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City :)

"Bariatric haul! What have you bought for your journey or plan to buy?"

I'm gonna buy a kick bike this fall:)

I want to bike behind my puppy in the woods like this:

Looks like a blast!

"Bariatric haul! What have you bought for your journey or plan to buy?"

I'm gonna buy a kick bike this fall:)
I want to bike behind my puppy in the woods like this:

Looks like a blast!

[emoji23] great idea.. should i buy the dogs or the bike 1st? Idk [emoji848]

The🐾dogs, you can walk them and love them for a month or 2 before you start 🚲biking😝

Hi all, I read through this thread last night and realized I was both lucky and horrified.
Lucky, because my center gave me a binder similar to the one discussed. I find it surprising that some of you haven't received a whole lot more information from your docs pre-surgery.
And horrified because I am a super-nerd book girl, and before my first seminar I had read every book about wls I could get my hands on. And every medical journal article on the subject available to me online.
Why are you waiting until surgery to read the books you mention? They have fabulous suggestions for what to bring to the hospital, what to eat, recipes for each stage of recovery, etc. Not to mention dealing with emotions post op. And blow-by-blows of what you're going to feel like after surgery as you heal.
If you own a kindle, Alex Brecher's The Big Book on the Gastric Bypass is only $9.99, as are the other "Big Books" (on Gastric Sleeve and Weight Loss Surgery). "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" is about $11.99. "The Emotional First-Aid Kit" is $9.99. And on and on. You can of course buy the paperback books as well. If you are a Prime member you'll find books you can read for FREE, and if you do Kindle Unlimited (or a month's free trial) you can find more free books than you'll know what to do with. (Sorry, I don't know about Nook or other Apps).
Speaking of FREE, go to Amazon, find what you'd like to read, and then go to your local library and find it. Sometimes a book from the shelf, an interlibrary loan, sometimes borrowing electronically--you can almost always get your hands on what you need. Why wait until post-surgery to read about what it's like, and how to prepare for it?
I think I'll be way too stupid with pain to read anything after surgery, but that's just me. I'm already like that half the time. I'm going to write very clear checklists for myself (and whoever might help me) on what to eat and when to take meds. Then it's just choosing the right level of silly for my TV watching--Steve Martin? The Princess Bride on endless repeat? Monty Python? Miranda Hart? French & Saunders?
I always write too much. Sorry for that. (My family is trying to teach me how to text. Imagine how that's going).

Wow. Ok. So yo-yo girl already addressed a lot of this but on behalf of myself and maybe others, I’m a little confused and a wee bit offended.
I’d like to point out that you are in the PRE-OP section of this app/website. All of us who are talking about these books have most likely read them if we’re close to surgery and are simply suggesting them to others who are perhaps further away.
Yes. I am lucky I got my binder. I realize most doctors don’t do this. But any respectable doctor is going to give you A LOT of information. I haven’t seen one person on here who hasn’t had MANY visits with a NUT, a psychologist, and EGD and other lab tests and such. Perhaps someone else’s team gives them enough information to the point they believe only a few papers are needed. Which is fine. The fact that our doctors do things a little bit differently is just that. Different from other practices.
The emotional blows of pre and post-op? We’ve ALL been through psychological screening. I personally see a psychiatrist on a regular basis anyway for other issues. Besides that, we have our MANY threads here where we CONSTANTLY get to post and speak with people in all stages of this life change. All questions are answered by many people. The varying responses give each of us a best, worst and plain old regular answer to any situation.
Obviously you haven’t had your procedure done yet. I hope that you will find this app as useful as the rest of us had. With that said, you may not make many friends here with such a condescending attitude. We are here to HELP each other, not SHAME each other.
I’m super glad that you researched the hell out of this on your own and it made you feel more comfortable. But realize no one on here woke up last week and decided to do a WLS procedure out of the blue. I don’t know how far out your surgery date is, but I’ve been waiting and jumping through hoops for EIGHTEEN MONTHS.
Let me break that down for you: Initial consultation in November 2016. 12 months of monthly NUT counseling. 4 psychiatrist visits with a weight loss expert along with my normal psychiatrist. 5 sets of lab work. An EGD. A PT visit. A sleep study. 3 pre-op support group meetings. A meeting with my NUT on how to properly shop for food after WLS. Many visits with my PCP. X-rays. An EKG. A pre-op workshop. 2 weeks on the Optifast diet.
So I think I’m pretty good knowledge wise. Did I read Weight Loss for Dummies too? Yep. Have I watched many a YouTube channel documenting WLS? You betcha. But do I feel the need to read “every medical journal” about this? No. Not at all. And let me throw out that I’ve worked as a CPhT, MA, CNA and medical biller. And what you tossed out as having done is complete overkill even to me. If it makes YOU feel more secure, by all means go for it. But don’t push what you felt you needed to do to feel secure onto others as if they MUST need the same things.
Remember what thread you’re posting on, have a better attitude towards others on here and don’t be “horrified” when other people’s actions don’t meet your specific notions.
You do you, and we’ll do us.

HW: 311
CW: 257
SW: We’ll see on May 10!
First goal weight: 191 lbs
Second goal weight: 159 lbs
Goal weight: 142 lbs

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

5 hours ago, Yo-yo girl said:

I don’t need to read every page on google for bariatric surgery nor do I need an encyclopedia so don’t be horrified for me. I have a nutritionist and a team of doctors and a line to reach my surgeon 24/hours a day. I don’t need my procedure broken down to me I know what it’s all about as well as most of us who decided this is was best for our health. This is a support group where people exchange ideas, recipe and any other sort of curiosity. These forums aren’t in place for doctors advice, with that said all your materials couldn’t prepare you for what lies ahead because that’s to be determined. like yourself all we can do is inform ourselves and exchange ideas and share our own individual experiences.

Well said!!!!

10 minutes ago, moondoggie1983 said:

Wow. Ok. So yo-yo girl already addressed a lot of this but on behalf of myself and maybe others, I’m a little confused and a wee bit offended.
I’d like to point out that you are in the PRE-OP section of this app/website. All of us who are talking about these books have most likely read them if we’re close to surgery and are simply suggesting them to others who are perhaps further away.
Yes. I am lucky I got my binder. I realize most doctors don’t do this. But any respectable doctor is going to give you A LOT of information. I haven’t seen one person on here who hasn’t had MANY visits with a NUT, a psychologist, and EGD and other lab tests and such. Perhaps someone else’s team gives them enough information to the point they believe only a few papers are needed. Which is fine. The fact that our doctors do things a little bit differently is just that. Different from other practices.
The emotional blows of pre and post-op? We’ve ALL been through psychological screening. I personally see a psychiatrist on a regular basis anyway for other issues. Besides that, we have our MANY threads here where we CONSTANTLY get to post and speak with people in all stages of this life change. All questions are answered by many people. The varying responses give each of us a best, worst and plain old regular answer to any situation.
Obviously you haven’t had your procedure done yet. I hope that you will find this app as useful as the rest of us had. With that said, you may not make many friends here with such a condescending attitude. We are here to HELP each other, not SHAME each other.
I’m super glad that you researched the hell out of this on your own and it made you feel more comfortable. But realize no one on here woke up last week and decided to do a WLS procedure out of the blue. I don’t know how far out your surgery date is, but I’ve been waiting and jumping through hoops for EIGHTEEN MONTHS.
Let me break that down for you: Initial consultation in November 2016. 12 months of monthly NUT counseling. 4 psychiatrist visits with a weight loss expert along with my normal psychiatrist. 5 sets of lab work. An EGD. A PT visit. A sleep study. 3 pre-op support group meetings. A meeting with my NUT on how to properly shop for food after WLS. Many visits with my PCP. X-rays. An EKG. A pre-op workshop. 2 weeks on the Optifast diet.
So I think I’m pretty good knowledge wise. Did I read Weight Loss for Dummies too? Yep. Have I watched many a YouTube channel documenting WLS? You betcha. But do I feel the need to read “every medical journal” about this? No. Not at all. And let me throw out that I’ve worked as a CPhT, MA, CNA and medical biller. And what you tossed out as having done is complete overkill even to me. If it makes YOU feel more secure, by all means go for it. But don’t push what you felt you needed to do to feel secure onto others as if they MUST need the same things.
Remember what thread you’re posting on, have a better attitude towards others on here and don’t be “horrified” when other people’s actions don’t meet your specific notions.
You do you, and we’ll do us.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

What you said....lol

And another Amen from me over in the Perpetual Peanut Gallery. I have been in PreSurgeryVille so long I have my name on the Mailbox. But soon I shall load that Bariatric Moving Van and move over to the Other Side👈😝👉

What you said....lol

Well I mean jeeze! I’ve been doing this for SOOOO long. Then I seem to get a scolding from someone who was conflicted as of 4/21. I’ve worked SO HARD for this (as have the rest of you!) I don’t need to be talked down to by someone who is basically just starting. In fact, no one here needs to be scolded by ANYONE! That’s not the purpose of this place. We come here for advice, friendship and safety. I’ve told everyone important to me about my WLS, but most people don’t and this may be the only place they can come and feel safe and welcomed. I’m not going to tolerate bs like what’s posted above.

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

And another Amen from me over in the Perpetual Peanut Gallery. I have been in PreSurgeryVille so long I have my name on the Mailbox. But soon I shall load that Bariatric Moving Van and move over to the Other Side[emoji118][emoji13][emoji117]

You just wait! It’s going to sneak up on you faster than you think and then you can drive that van right on over to my place (as long as you can tolerate the occasional moon howl!)

5’6” 34 yo female in NC

I firmly believe that no matter how many books or medical journals you read, that nothing beats life experience to get real honest answers. Situations vary so much that books can't possibly provide all the scenerios we see here. To me that makes me feel more mentally prepared because "i remember someone mentioning that" you know u arent the only one dealing with a certain situation.

Edited by Chrisb428

That’ll teach her [emoji23][emoji108]

That’ll teach her [emoji23][emoji108]

Yo-Yo Girl from New York City [emoji4]

Did you have your surgery yet?

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 228
GW: 165

Did you have your surgery yet?

HW: 256
SW: 238(4/25/18)
CW: 228
GW: 165

DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED... can you believe they changed my date. NY Presbyterian had the audacity to tell me that they didn’t have an operating room for this Monday coming up the 15th and that I had to be rescheduled for the 21st. I can’t even recite what I said to them because it’ll be a bunch of *********** ** **** ******** ******* but I was livid. Now I’m just sad that I have to wait another week.