Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I'm one month out of surgery, and I just don't want to eat anything. I'm not really nauseous or sick, I'm just not hungry and I don't want to eat. I'm still on a soft diet until Friday, but eating some of the things that have worked for me so far (eggs, tofu, cottage cheese) just doesn't sound appealing. Eating new things sounds a bit scary.

I'm getting at least 80g Protein a day, but I'm still using the Protein Shakes at least once and sometimes twice a day to get there.

Does this pass? I'm assuming I'll be hungry later, but I feel super ambivalent about eating actual food.

Edited by Jonsie27

Congrats on your surgery!

Early out I had food ambivalence and no to little hunger. I just ate to a schedule per the RD. I didn't have to do puree and went straight to softs. I just advanced things as I could. There's no rush. I love white fish and so added that pretty quickly. It was just fine. I also added canned chicken and canned salmon. Again, both were just fine.

It is a scary world, but I'd just take it slow and one things at a time! You'll figure out what you can handle pretty quickly. There truly was very little I couldn't handle. You can tell within a bite or two how it's gonna do!

My ambivalence was over by the end of 3 or 4 weeks I think?

Before surgery, I had constant hunger. When I was eating a meal, my mind was thinking what I would have for my next meal. It was incessant. Now the interesting thing that occurred after my RNY surgery was that I completely lost my hunger. It was not difficult to plan my minuscule meals because I wasn't really hungry. This condition does not last forever but for about a year and then the hunger returns. It just isn't as strong as before.

I am 5 weeks out from surgery and have not lost my hunger. I was so hoping to be one of the lucky ones. Enjoy it while you are able to but, do be sure to get your liquids and Protein in.

11 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

I am 5 weeks out from surgery and have not lost my hunger. I was so hoping to be one of the lucky ones. Enjoy it while you are able to but, do be sure to get your liquids and Protein in.

This may be a function of the type of surgery. I think those with gastric bypass experience this effect but I am not sure that holds true for sleeve patients. Perhaps some sleeve patients might speak up about this effect.

Also generally this effect does not take hold until you reach the solid state.

I was sleeve on 3-22 and I feel the same way not hunger but drink plenty of Water and Protein Shakes food has no appeal to me and just trying to eat soft foods gets boring. I have tried like chicken and chicken salad but at this point I can only tolerate 3or 4 baby spoons and my taste buds have change tremendously please tell me they will return to normal

11 hours ago, James Marusek said:

This may be a function of the type of surgery. I think those with gastric bypass experience this effect but I am not sure that holds true for sleeve patients. Perhaps some sleeve patients might speak up about this effect.

Also generally this effect does not take hold until you reach the solid state.

I am almost 6 weeks out and on solid food. I have talked to many sleevers that did lose their appetite. Sadly, I am not one of them.

I was sleeved 4-17. I have no real hunger but maybe once a day. I think most of the time its Head Hunger. I know I dont eat what I should or drink for that matter. It is hard to force yourself! I feel ya

I was sleeved 4/10. I just started soft foods this week. So far, I'm able to tolerate everything I've tried, even though my tummy reminds me to eat a little slower or smaller bites. I can't say that I'm scared of trying new things, but I am cautious. I approach all new things VERY slowly to give my body time to tell me if it's going to revolt. So far, nothing has. I just keep reminding myself to chew very well and go slow!

At first, I had absolutely no appetite and was very ambivalent to foods. In the last 2 or 3 days I've noticed that I do get a little hungry if I go too long between meals, we're talking at least 4 or 5 hours. But, it's not the same hunger that I had before, that voracious "I'm starving and I have to eat NOW" hunger. More like an empty nagging sensation that gets my attention when I've forgotten to eat. Yes, you heard that right. I FORGET to eat and have to make a concerted effort to get my fluids and Proteins in.

I have no cravings and I can't really say that my taste buds have changed. I can say that after the long liquid diet and pureed stage that had a lot of sweet Protein shakes/puddings/jello/etc, my sweet tooth is hanging up her hat. I'm super tired of sweet and I enjoy savory food much more at this point.

Did your RDs or surgeons give you any eating guidelines? Mine doesn't want me going more than 4hours without a meal. They want scheduled mini meals/snacks ideally 3-4 hours a part, throughout the day--anywhere from 3-6 per day.

So... often, I eat even though I'm don't have a hunger cue, but my tool is empty. It's to keep our blood sugar and insulin stable so we don't binge, or eat off plan.

I had a sleeve on 14 Feb, till I went on to eating normal food I had no hunger or interest in food of any kind. I had to set a timer to literally force myself to eat, well drink milk and Protein Powder, I just couldn't stand the thought of Soup again or mush.

Now I get hungry and I'm back enjoying food again though in much smaller quantities. I used to find it difficult to plan, drink this, stop drinking now, eat now etc, it's not even a thought anymore. It'll come back and you'll probably wish you were back there not interested in food! some days I know I do :)

12 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Did your RDs or surgeons give you any eating guidelines? Mine doesn't want me going more than 4hours without a meal. They want scheduled mini meals/snacks ideally 3-4 hours a part, throughout the day--anywhere from 3-6 per day.

So... often, I eat even though I'm don't have a hunger cue, but my tool is empty. It's to keep our blood sugar and insulin stable so we don't binge, or eat off plan.

My doctor's plan is to eat every 3 hours. But, I find that this type of scheduled eating is disrupting to my work day. I go to work and get involved in work/meetings/etc. The next thing I know it's been 4 or more hours. That's life and that's reality.

Can you do little things like chomp on a meat stick or cheese stick or down 1/2oz of almonds or walnuts? I'd make it work for you. The 3hour Snacks morning and afternoon might take a little figuring out...even Protein latte. I do this too: decaff and 2oz of Premier Protein as the coffee creamer. Do that twice and you get Fluid and 4oz of protein which I think is about 12g of protein :)

Believe it or not, eating too little can make you stall and will keep you from meeting your protein but more--your nutrient needs each day. I know. It happened to me. And the second I added 200 more calories and 14g protein to my day I started losing again.

Edited by FluffyChix