Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate it when people post just to post.....

oh slim - saw inlaws yesterday, first time since Xmas. i can really keep up w/this schedule......:laugh:

I am so jealous!

PJTP: Okay, who here thinks it's ridiculous to pay $550 for shots for two dogs??? I only got the necessary stuff (bloodwork for heartworm meds, rabies, lyme, and one other for bacteria) -- no bordatella (?) or anything exotic. I about had a conniption when I got to the counter!!! I'm seriously thinking about having a major "coming to Jesus" talk with somebody there (I haven't paid yet)! :laugh:

Unfortunately Beth, vets are very expensive. The blood work was probably the most expensive thing. rabies the cheapest. I have 2 indoor cats. I don't get them shots because they are strictly house cats. They do go to the vets every couple of yrs for check ups. If they are sick or injured then I take them more often. When my dog Sheeba attacked my cat it cost me $600.00 for a splint for her leg and 1 exray. I later had to have her leg amputated. All cost for that was about $1,300.00. (and 1 less dog) I gave her to a shelter. I knew one of the people there and they made sure she got into a good home as the only pet.

For people who wonder why I got rid of the dog instead of putting the cat down. I have had the cat since she was born. She is the off spring of my male cat who is 13. She was 7 and the dog was 9 months. I had gotten her when she was 3 months old. She was getting where she was attacking my daughter's dog also. Her dog was 4 yrs. old.

Man...the crickets can be heard chirping in here. This sure has been a very slow posting weekend.

Everyone was out and about, I guess. I had the nephew working with me in the garden yesterday - nice, polite, gentle, big guy but LAZY as a cut cat - if I wasn't doing things with him, he slowed to a slug's pace. We managed to do a lot, but still lots remain to do. I invited him to work for me again next weekend - he looked at his dirty bandaged hands, and filthy clothes and said "maybe".

My dear departed MIL (no sarcasm - really did love her to bits) said it never rains all day on Saturday, 'cause if it did, we'd have an excuse to not go to church on Sunday. I've seen days that were cloudy and drizzly all day, but not an all-day rain...things that make you go hmmm

[/b]

Well, I have lived in places where not only would it rain all Saturday, but all week...for several weeks at a time...I have lived in the nicest places, yes??

Happy Monday all!

Edited by tapshoes
typo

Mornin' all! PJTP...

PJTP: Okay, who here thinks it's ridiculous to pay $550 for shots for two dogs??? I only got the necessary stuff (bloodwork for heartworm meds, rabies, lyme, and one other for bacteria) -- no bordatella (?) or anything exotic. I about had a conniption when I got to the counter!!! I'm seriously thinking about having a major "coming to Jesus" talk with somebody there (I haven't paid yet)! :smile:

They are such a wonderful addition to our lives, but oh man, can they put a DENT in the budget! We've had similar experiences with our dogs, too. That DOES sound like an awful lot for shots! Is there a 'teaching hospital' kind of place near you that might be less expensive?

Unfortunately Beth, vets are very expensive. The blood work was probably the most expensive thing. rabies the cheapest. I have 2 indoor cats. I don't get them shots because they are strictly house cats. They do go to the vets every couple of yrs for check ups. If they are sick or injured then I take them more often. When my dog Sheeba attacked my cat it cost me $600.00 for a splint for her leg and 1 exray. I later had to have her leg amputated. All cost for that was about $1,300.00. (and 1 less dog) I gave her to a shelter. I knew one of the people there and they made sure she got into a good home as the only pet.

For people who wonder why I got rid of the dog instead of putting the cat down. I have had the cat since she was born. She is the off spring of my male cat who is 13. She was 7 and the dog was 9 months. I had gotten her when she was 3 months old. She was getting where she was attacking my daughter's dog also. Her dog was 4 yrs. old.

I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your kitty - I love cats, just can't have one because of my allergies. None of my dogs have been cat-friendly, either...I won't let them chase cats we see on our walks, but funny enough - the current dog, Sisko, is actually friendly to the cat who is always in our vet's office! He will sniff at the cat (who's usually on the counter and doesn't even move when the dogs come in and out) but not bark or growl. Cats we see on our walks are a different matter - he tries to chase them. Go figure...:laugh:

I'm nursing sore hamstrings from gardening, but otherwise I'm okay - going on vacation at the end of the week with DH to a pilot's gathering in Arkansas - hotter 'n Hades down there, but the people are great and the event is always fun. We're planning crazy outfits for a 70's night - I'll see if I can get decent pics and maybe post a few when we return. :wub:

They are such a wonderful addition to our lives, but oh man, can they put a DENT in the budget! We've had similar experiences with our dogs, too. That DOES sound like an awful lot for shots! Is there a 'teaching hospital' kind of place near you that might be less expensive?

My mom mentioned the Humane Society...? Don't know if they do them. The other option is one we have used in the past (and I WILL use from now on) and that is Luv My Pet, which makes the rounds to the area Petcos and Petsmarts. I plan on calling them later and do a line-by-line itemization to see what they charge for the same shots and see what the heck my vet's office's problem is!

When I was having a coronary right there at the counter and saying, WTH, the office manager said, "Well, we work really hard to have all the most current equipment, blah blah blah," and I said to her, "Yeah? Well 10 years ago, without all that crap, DOGS LIVED." :laugh:

beth - check out your local tractor supply stores as well.

here in TX they have mobile vets come to do half cost vaccinations at different locations each saturday.

i've not used them, but i know a LOT who do. living in the country the cost of my vet is literally half of what my brother pays in dallas.....so he comes out to me w/his 2 dogs. DH says his paycheck goes to the vet, w/5 and one w/kidney failure the cost is just insane....but we have no kids.

g4e - there is NOTHING wrong with turning in a dog that does not suit your home.....i would just find a no kill shelter. DH ever wk says i need to find a home for our heeler, but deep down he loves her and i've never made the effort - because i rescued her from getting that long night sleep...

Thanks, Lulu, I'll check into that. I know the mobile vets are way cheaper. The only reason I went to my local vet was that my female had a cyst on her back that erupted and I wanted to be sure it was okay. I don't think the mobile vets do anything beyond give shots.

G4E, I'm with Lulu on that one. When you have a pet that is aggressive with other animals or family members, IT'S GOT TO GO. We had to do the same with a dog who became aggressive with our daughter after having been boarded. All I can figure was a kid there tortured him (he was good before going in and was too young to be really aggressive) and he started getting ugly with kids (would lunge at them if they rode by on bikes, etc.). The day he snapped at my daughter and JUST missed the end of her nose, that was it. My daughter was 70 pounds and the dog was 75, and she did nothing to the dog. All it would take was coming near him, even if it meant she was also coming near me -- he'd growl and get that crazy sideways glance that says he really means business.

There are just those situations, and it's totally understandable.

G4E, I'm with Lulu on that one. When you have a pet that is aggressive with other animals or family members, IT'S GOT TO GO.

I 100% agree - if my son and daughter-in-law had stayed in my home, I would have let my dog Sisko go...he did NOT like my son at all, though he was fine with my daughter-in-law and wonderful with the baby. He was okay when my son was HOLDING the baby, but if it was just my son, no go.

There are just those situations, and it's totally understandable.

Sisko came to us after spending over a YEAR at the local dog pound - they said they just couldn't bear to put him down...he had already been to one home (beyond his birth home) and because he wouldn't let ANYONE in the car with his then-owner (including family) they returned him.

He's a sweet dog - most of the time - but he also lunges at strangers (rarely), so we keep him on a short leash and do not walk him at times when we're likely to see a lot of kids / people. We live near a big church, so we don't walk him when services are beginning or ending...We also don't tempt fate by taking him out off-leash. We could do that with our labrador and with our other mutt, but not this one.

It's an imposition, but we couldn't bear to leave him at the shelter and condemn him to a shorter life - they were well beyond the time where they would have ordinarily put him down and his time was running out.

Our next dog will probably be a smaller one - we've had three big dogs and I'm ready for a little cuddler...

The cats used to sleep with Sheba. When she attacked Peanut it was on my bed. My grandson and I was on it and had just finished petting her (the cat), then Sheba went berserk. But like I said, she was starting to be aggressive towards my DD's dog. I was already hunting for her a home. The guy at the shelter was one of my customers. So he took good care of her. He made sure that she got placed in a home without other pets. I miss her at times. She was a beautiful husky mix. I just don't know what happened with her. I got her when she was very young, she was growing up with the other animals. 6 months good dog, 1 month psycho. Oh well. It's been 2 yrs. now.

I'm sorry, g4e. It's never an easy decision, but we do what we have to to protect others, whether four-legged or two. You did what you had to, and the good thing is he found a home and was not put down.

Morning everyone - and a glorious morning it is! Sun shining, temps are seasonal, coffee is hot, a few staff are taking a day or two off so it is quiet...

RE: animals. I'm usually the person asked to take the behaviorially-challenged animals. I took one cat with multiple physical anomalies (1 eye, no tail, 6 digits per claw, 4 pounds fully grown)- according to the vet the external matched the creature's internal organ anomalies, and mental deficiencies. The cat would attack anyone at anytime at any (or no) provocation, would spend hours running in circles until she fell over, attacked every dog/cat/person that ever came to the house, would hurl herself at windows for no apparent reason, etc. She was one mean little cat. The vet used to have to wear falconeers gloves to hold her for her annual exams, and never got blood from her! And yet, for a few minutes every day the cat could be sweet - I was never able to approach her, or pick her up....she had to come to me, and it was only for a few minutes and then she would hiss, spit, and run. I had her for 6 years - she died of natural causes. According to the vet, the kitten would in the real world have been eaten or abandoned by the mother, because it was so deformed but because humans intervened, the cat lived...

PJTP...It's been an *ahem* interesting morning!

Got in an unexpected extra walk this morning - had to go to the main train station to see if anyone turned in my work id - I lost it on Friday. Thought I left it on the train, but no such luck...:Banane33:

Got in a little late, then had to go to the ID office to get another. The guy at the desk was flirting relentlessly - not offensively, but in a funny way. :Banane01: Made me smile - but didn't make paying the $20 lost id fee any more fun! :purplebananna:

Now back in the office and the atmosphere here is just plain weird. I can't wait for the weekend - 5 days with my DH, playing around with the other private pilots in Arkansas. Hot weather, good friends, lots of food (though I'll be kept in line by "Jillian" my band) and parties!

Having lunch with one of my best friends today - hoping to hear about another job I've applied for - and on it goes...

We switch to "summer" hours next week - shorter lunch hour means I'll have to get my walks in before and after work instead of at lunchtime, but with temps sure to rise, that may not be a bad thing...

Have a great day all!:success1:

Got in a little late, then had to go to the ID office to get another. The guy at the desk was flirting relentlessly - not offensively, but in a funny way. :Banane33: Made me smile - but didn't make paying the $20 lost id fee any more fun! :purplebananna:

Maybe if you had flirted back... :Banane01:

Having lunch with one of my best friends today - hoping to hear about another job I've applied for - and on it goes...

I hope you get good news re:a new job.

The guy at the desk was flirting relentlessly - not offensively, but in a funny way. :purplebananna: Made me smile -

that's a great nsv - !!!! or at least i'd count it as such!!!!!:Banane01: