Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird that no one at work has commented on my weight-loss..

I started a new job 2 weeks after my surgery. I’ve lost 55 lbs in 8 months. I’ve been a relatively slow loser but my starting weight was 237 so I wasn’t a high BMI to start. I’m also 46 years old . Anyway, not one single person has said a word. I’m starting to think 55 lbs has not changed what I look like and while I did this for me and for health, it would be nice to have someone else at least notice. Is it just me or can you see the change too?
"Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying"
Sleeved 8.21.2017
Age 46
Female
HW 237 SW 226
CW 182 GW 150
Total Lost - 55 lbs

IMG_2159.JPG

I started a new job 2 weeks after my surgery. I’ve lost 55 lbs in 8 months. I’ve been a relatively slow loser but my starting weight was 237 so I wasn’t a high BMI to start. I’m also 46 years old . Anyway, not one single person has said a word. I’m starting to think 55 lbs has not changed what I look like and while I did this for me and for health, it would be nice to have someone else at least notice. Is it just me or can you see the change too?
Sleeved 8.21.2017
Age 46
Female
HW 237 SW 226
CW 182 GW 150
Total Lost - 55 lbs

IMG_2159.JPG.8cebe29042b87edd8d182219e6409c91.JPG

Hi. You can notice. I think maybe it because you're face never looked fat and i know I've said to people before "you look great, have you lost weight" and they've said no. That can be pretty embarrassing. A bit like you shouldn't ask someone if they're pregnant. Maybe your colleagues think it might offend.

I can see the difference in your figure, but that may be less obvious depending on what you wear at work. You're doing great though hun!

Having started the job so soon after surgery your initial higher weight may not have registered with people, plus they could have thought you were only temporarily larger or bloated due to private medical stuff going on. Occasionally we are lucky enough to work with people who don't make our weight/appearance a matter of public discussion. :)

Maybe they think you are dying, more likely they think you have cancer and don't want,to embarrass you by asking. Me and my big mouth , I actually asked my friend T if she had cancer and what stage she was at? Turned out she had a VSG 3 months before. Facepalm to the forehead! Oh did I felt a dolt! 😁 And now I'm going to have bariatric surgery myself. Lucky for me,she has a forgiving nature and is cheering me from the sidelines as I make my run💃 for Weight loss Glory.😁

I'm just the opposite! I'm uncomfortable when anyone comments about my looks or weight, even when they say something nice. My surgery is next month, so I hope to lose weight and overcome my embarrassment soon!

It’s noticeable for sure. You look great.

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth, the comments get annoying...

Hi,

The weightloss is noticeable, keep up the good work.

18 hours ago, Sleeved in DFW :-) said:

Sleeved 8.21.2017
Age 46
Female
HW 237 SW 226
CW 182 GW 150
Total Lost - 55 lbs

IMG_2159.JPG

I'm feel the exact same way! I am 3 months post op and I'm down 75 lbs. Initially I was worried that my physical appearance hasn't changed enough for anyone to notice, but I don't believe that's the case now. I think my co workers are trying to be polite and not bring up my weight. For them, it would be awkward if I hadn't lost any weight and they insinuated that I had. But they also see me everyday and even though I've lost rapidly, it is harder for people who see us regularly to notice.

You can definitely tell! You look great! I've lost 80 pounds since I started losing weight before the surgery, and the only thing that people have commented on is my face. I know I haven't lost 80 pounds in just my face lol

So what are the options here? Your co-workers are either blind, oblivious, don't care or they're just messing with you. In any event, you should have some fun with it because there will reach a point where somebody will notice and ask if you're lost weight, then you should just deny it. Tell them it's a new haircut or new clothes. Just mess with them.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they don't want you to feel uncomfortable. In this time of everyone being offended by everything, some people are overly cautious. Maybe they're waiting for you to bring up the subject. Because it certainly is noticeable! Congrats!

People lose weight for various reasons...and some of the reasons aren’t necessarily positive. From the pics and amount you lost, it’s defnitely obvious that you lost and you look great! It doesn’t sound like you are particularly close with the people you work with and it’s possible they may not want to say anything for fear of offending you or bringing up something that you might be sensitive about. Some people don’t like to talk about weight period and some people lose weight from illness or depression so they may be being cautious. I wouldn’t take it personally. You look fantastic. Shoot! I remember long ago I commented to someone that I know after not seeing her for a while that she looked great and that she looked like she lost weight. She was upset with me for thinking that she needed to lose weight. Yikes! Never mentioned anything like that again to someone unless I knew for sure they were trying!

Yeah for awhile my coworkers didn’t say anything and then someone finally asked for the group. They thought I was ill, like dying ill. It could be something like that where they fear the weight loss is because of something not good.

Edited by redhead_che