Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weight loss since surgery

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

Hahaha! But HALF a six inch sub! OMG. The tears are streaming down my face right now. This can't possibly be real. Can it? I don't often sense trolling, but for some reason meters are going off everywhere and I apologize in advance if I'm wrong! LOL!

Yeah your suspensions are definitely not without reason! Not to mention if they’re eating like that after surgery then why even have it at all!

As others have said, potato chips will likely keep making you hungry with sugar spikes and drops plus the savory flavors telling your body to expect Protein which it then doesn't get, and you need to avoid eating them from now on. Seriously, cravings for potato chips were one of the common themes amongst many of the super obese gastric bypass patients featured on the "fat doctor" series.

Even if on full solids so soon after surgery, half a subway sandwich is also not a good option for lunch, as the sweet bread will also make you hungrier, and prevent you getting enough of the quality protein you need at every meal. It sounds like your daily calories are much too high for effective weight loss.

Talk to your doctor and nutritionist, and consider going back to a full liquid diet for at least a few days to try to reset your tummy and cravings (or 2 Meal Replacements + a lean meat and veggies/salad which is what I"m on now 3 weeks pre-op). Simple scrambled eggs (made in the microwave) and tinned tuna (or the much less fishy-tasting smoked rainbow trout I've found at ALDI) are good quick and easy protein options. I know it's harder if you are not experienced with cooking, I do all the cooking in my house and my husband initially couldn't do anything other than boil an egg or pasta/rice. He now frequently scrambles himself some eggs in the microwave (including at work) and eats fresh fruit and tinned tuna most days at work (and he's not the one who needs weight loss surgery hehe).

You have been granted such an amazing tool to assist with weight loss and give you a solid shot at long term weight maintenance (as opposed to the long term 95%+ failure rate of dieting and excercise on it's own) please get whatever skilled support you can to make this work for you.

24 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

WTF? It's hard to believe this is real. The pure volume that early out would make your stomach split open like a watermelon on a summer day! :rolleyes:

This has got to be Trollin' Trollin' Trollin' bait?

I'm with Fluffy Chix! This sounds like total BS. At 2 weeks out with this list of food this person would be in the emergency room! Surgery is pretty drastic if you have no intention of trying at all.

At two weeks out I was still eating out of tablespoons. I know I’d have been in the hospital if I ate like that 😐

and i tried so hard not to be a total d**k to this guy and completely missed that he may be fake.

joke was on me i guess

I haven’t had my surgery yet but in trying to lose weight before the surgery, I have struggled to try to find more convenient healthy options. One of the things I had to admit to myself is that, just because I’m busy and don’t have time, there’s always a healthier option. Starbucks actually has a sous ve egg white thing that sounds gross but is awesome and way better for you than the wrap. Or a piece of grilled chicken from a fast food place over chicken wings. I also realized that it was possible to buy things that involve very little prep like: The seasoned tuna packets have low calories almost no fat and a lot of Protein and involve no prep. Part skim string cheese. Yogurt. Protein pudding. Chicken sausages (get ones that are already cooked and you just need to heat up). Rotisserie chicken. Cottage cheese. Hard boiled eggs. Protein Shakes. Smoked salmon.

Edited by CTGirl08

No, you were right not to be a d*ck, allwet.

I don't think this person is trolling. I think they're being honest about what they're eating FOUR weeks out. I think other people on this thread are being d*cks, though.

At 3 weeks, I was eating 1000 calories a day. Very comfortably. On the advice of my team.

I strongly disagree with the choices this person is making, but I'm not about to call them a liar, I could have eaten a 3 inch piece of Subway sandwich four weeks out. In fact, I did.

Half a 6 inch turkey breast sandwich on wheat is 140 calories.

Two wings...is about 150 calories.

Starbuck's spinach egg white wrap has 290

chips from Subway are 130 calories a bag.

That's a daily total of 720 calories.

I was eating more than that at 4 weeks...at the urging of my dietitian. (better choices, I like to think...but still...the volume is very workable for some people at 4 weeks)

Why don't I think this person is trolling?

Because I actually took the time to look at their posting history.....and it would seem really odd to me for someone to make pre-surgical and post surgical posts following up on given dates......and tell other people they're proud of them for their weight loss :(....when they're here to troll.

I think this person is for real, and incredibly rude things were just said to them.

And I might be wrong.

But given the posting history, I'm going to err on the side of decency and apologize to the OP for his/her treatment.

Edited by Creekimp13

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Dude. The person claims to be eating a "half" a 6inch Subway sub and also to be eating 3-4 chicken drummies this soon out from surgery. LOL. And chips...but those are sliders and probably won't make his stitches pop. LOL.

This is what he claims to be able to eat:

I’m eating a spinach egg white wrap from Starbucks for Breakfast usually sometimes I’ll just have a Protein Shake. I usually walk half a mile to a mile a day. I usually eat 3-4 buffalo drummies from 7/11 for lunch, which equals to 1-2 wings. Then for a snack I may have potato chips. But I’m usually always hungry. I drink in excess of 64oz. Of Water. Sometimes I’ll have subway, half a six inch and chips. I know my diet is not that good but I don’t have time to cook so I usually eat from those places and for dinner I may have a cooked meal. It varies. My point is regardless of what I’m eating it is still less than I used to eat before surgery so why am not losing any weight? I haven’t been 💩 everyday either

If you’re going to make fun of me then don’t comment on my post. I came here seeking help and support, not to be ridiculed.

Everyone else thanks for the responses. I know I need to eat better and exercise.

27 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

No, you were right not to be a d*ck, allwet.

I don't think this person is trolling. I think they're being honest about what they're eating FOUR weeks out. I think other people on this thread are being d*cks, though.

At 3 weeks, I was eating 1000 calories a day. Very comfortably. On the advice of my team.

I strongly disagree with the choices this person is making, but I'm not about to call them a liar, I could have eaten a 3 inch piece of Subway sandwich four weeks out. In fact, I did.

Half a 6 inch turkey breast sandwich on wheat is 140 calories.

Two wings...is about 150 calories.

Starbuck's spinach egg white wrap has 290

chips from Subway are 130 calories a bag.

That's a daily total of 720 calories.

I was eating more than that at 4 weeks...at the urging of my dietitian. (better choices, I like to think...but still...the volume is very workable for some people at 4 weeks)

Why don't I think this person is trolling?

Because I actually took the time to look at their posting history.....and it would seem really odd to me for someone to make pre-surgical and post surgical posts following up on given dates......and tell other people they're proud of them for their weight loss :(....when they're here to troll.

I think this person is for real, and incredibly rude things were just said to them.

And I might be wrong.

But given the posting history, I'm going to err on the side of decency and apologize to the OP for his/her treatment.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Probably not until around 3 to 4 months post-op just like everybody who claims to stall prior to that point. Everybody is impatient including me. Time just seems to move so slow when your waiting for that first significant drop on the scale but the scale should be the least of your concerns this early after surgery. It will come in time just be patient.

Thank you

i guess we are all different. when i looked over that food list it really seemed amazing i mean the only thing i could reference it to was my own eating post surgery and i remember how sick i felt after 3 bites (teaspoons) and how i would have to get up and walk around just to get the heavy feeling to pass.

i really do feel bad for this guy cause i dont see the level of support from the doctors that i see people talk about. So i dont know if the doctor let him down or if he just ignored everything they said but i dont believe for a second that subway, chicken wings and chips were on his doctors handouts about post surgery nutrition.

i just dont see a success story being written here and i hope the poster spends so time reading the old posts to get an idea of the proper post surgery habits he needs to learn. The window to learn those new habits and get the max benefit is not open ended but is also not closed by a mistake or two if action to remedy those errors are put in place.

My nutritionist is completely cool with Subway. Provided you choose lean meats and whole gain bread. White bread will cause hunger spikes. Have to watch fatty Condiments, too.

I can't imagine that chicken wings would be a problem if they were baked and not coated or fried. (i'm unfamiliar with 7/11's wings)

I think everyone would agree chips are pure junk.

While I absolutely think constructive advise is warranted...this judgey superior **** makes me nuts.

We were all morbidly obese folks. We have all made horrible decisions about food in our lives...over and over and over. Not a damned one of us....has room to feel superior to these sorts of struggles.

And you know what? A hell of a lot of us...who feel very smug right now...will regain weight.

No one here has all the answers for everyone. Everyone makes peace with this process at their own pace, and some folks really struggle.

It doesn't help them to be ridiculed. It doesn't help to make assumptions and judge them.

And losing weight doesn't give you a license to be a bully...or even an expert on everyone else's process.

I think people here really need to work on constructive criticism. Myself included.

Edited by Creekimp13

29 minutes ago, allwet said:

i could reference it to was my own eating post surgery and i remember how sick i felt after 3 bites (teaspoons)

The OP is FOUR WEEKS out.

You couldn't eat more than 3 teaspoons a month after surgery?

Edited by Creekimp13

33 minutes ago, allwet said:

i just dont see a success story being written here

Maybe four years out you'll fall on your arse and won't succeed either. Who knows? How's it feel to be told that?

Did "tough love" ever help you to lose weight? Or did you just see it for the bullying it was?

I need to go work on being constructive some more.

Edited by Creekimp13