Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weight loss since surgery

So I got my surgery on 3/15 and the first week I lost 5 pounds, which I think was the weight of my stomach that was removed. After two weeks post op I went back to eating solids. I get full fast but am hungry every two hours. I haven’t lost anything after the first week. This is week 4.😩 am I going to lose any weight. This is insane.

Ok so i have no fear of being first or being wrong or both so here goes.

I dont think your surgeon did you any favors with the solid foods 2 weeks in.

the 5-6 week transition back to solids gives you a chance to get your brain and stomach talking to each other again in a healthy way. It provides a time for you to learn the difference between Head hunger and actual hunger.

lets face it no one in need of WS surgery is in any danger of starving to death. If we cant be honest with ourselves and other WS patients who can we be honest with.

that "Hunger" you feel every 2 hours is in your head and you have not taken the time since surgery to break that habit.

i honestly dont know what your doctor was thinking. maybe some others who had doctors that let them go back to solids so fast will jump in later and explain it.

i cant recommend anything except to try to get past eating every 2 hours. that is what got you to this point in the first place

get Water and Protein in that order in the start try to keep calorie count low and stretch out the time between meals a little at a time till you get back to a more eating schedule

good luck

Edited by allwet

So post what you are eating in one day. Ounces/grams of Protein, ounces of liquids, etc. Are you taking a PPI for reflux - acid can mimmick hunger pangs. How often are you eating? Are you walking daily - how much/often? Are you pooping? That may sound weird but it is important. How much did you lose pre-op?

I am not concerned about your dr's food stages, I have a friend's doctor that advanced the food stages rapidly and she is doing fine. But need more information.

Are you tracking your intake? Doing so might help you find the problem area.

I usually eat an egg white spinach wrap for Breakfast or a Protein Shake, then maybe 3-4 chicken drummies for lunch and for dinner it varies. I have been drinking Water and eating potato chips. I walk moderately. Despite my calorie intake it is still less than I used to eat before the auto so what’s the problem. And no I’m not 💩 that much.

The good news is that the part of your stomach that was removed doesn't weigh 5 pounds (it probably weighed less than 1oz). Like other folks have said it might be easier to give advice if you can tell us what and how much you are eating? How much of it is Protein? How much are you drinking? Are you exercising?

I’m eating a spinach egg white wrap from Starbucks for breakfast usually sometimes I’ll just have a Protein Shake. I usually walk half a mile to a mile a day. I usually eat 3-4 buffalo drummies from 7/11 for lunch, which equals to 1-2 wings. Then for a snack I may have potato chips. But I’m usually always hungry. I drink in excess of 64oz. Of Water. Sometimes I’ll have subway, half a six inch and chips. I know my diet is not that good but I don’t have time to cook so I usually eat from those places and for dinner I may have a cooked meal. It varies. My point is regardless of what I’m eating it is still less than I used to eat before surgery so why am not losing any weight? I haven’t been 💩 everyday either

Ditch the chips. Why chips anyway? You are eating the wrong carbs and those carbs make you crave more carbs - that is one reason you are hungry. Not enough Protein every day and good fats. Take higher protein yogurt for lunch, make a dozen hard boiled eggs (it only takes a few minutes - you can do this while cooking dinner), (take dinner leftovers for lunch and eat while taking a walk instead of driving to Subway) and take the eggs for lunch and some cheese for a snack.

I need daily totals. A whole day. Are you weighing/measuring food? Tracking food on an app? I use Baritastic, it's free.

Eating takeout for lunch is an excuse, unless you pick better takeout than Subway and chips. Seriously.

Just because you are eating less than you used to doesn't mean that what you are eating isn't the problem. I don't know what you are having for dinner, but the "typical" breakfast/lunch/snack you are describing in and of itself is 800+ calories. On top of that you are doing very little exercise (perhaps this is due to some physical limitation that will change as you lose weight). To loose a pound you basically have to burn 3500 calories more than you take in. Assuming that you are burning 2000 calories a day and that your dinner is <400 calories you shouldn't be expecting to be losing more than a pound or two a week, which sounds about where you are with 5 pounds over 3 or so weeks.

WTF? It's hard to believe this is real. The pure volume that early out would make your stomach split open like a watermelon on a summer day! :rolleyes:

This has got to be Trollin' Trollin' Trollin' bait?

Edited by FluffyChix

2 hours ago, Amjo said:

So I got my surgery on 3/15 and the first week I lost 5 pounds, which I think was the weight of my stomach that was removed. After two weeks post op I went back to eating solids. I get full fast but am hungry every two hours. I haven’t lost anything after the first week. This is week 4.😩 am I going to lose any weight. This is insane.

Probably not until around 3 to 4 months post-op just like everybody who claims to stall prior to that point. Everybody is impatient including me. Time just seems to move so slow when your waiting for that first significant drop on the scale but the scale should be the least of your concerns this early after surgery. It will come in time just be patient.

2 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

Probably not until around 3 to 4 months post-op just like everybody who claims to stall prior to that point. Everybody is impatient including me. Time just seems to move so slow when your waiting for that first significant drop on the scale but the scale should be the least of your concerns this early after surgery. It will come in time just be patient.

Dude. The person claims to be eating a "half" a 6inch Subway sub and also to be eating 3-4 chicken drummies this soon out from surgery. LOL. And chips...but those are sliders and probably won't make his stitches pop. LOL.

This is what he claims to be able to eat:

I’m eating a spinach egg white wrap from Starbucks for Breakfast usually sometimes I’ll just have a Protein Shake. I usually walk half a mile to a mile a day. I usually eat 3-4 buffalo drummies from 7/11 for lunch, which equals to 1-2 wings. Then for a snack I may have potato chips. But I’m usually always hungry. I drink in excess of 64oz. Of Water. Sometimes I’ll have subway, half a six inch and chips.< /strong> I know my diet is not that good but I don’t have time to cook so I usually eat from those places and for dinner I may have a cooked meal. It varies. My point is regardless of what I’m eating it is still less than I used to eat before surgery so why am not losing any weight? I haven’t been 💩 everyday either

Edited by FluffyChix

1 hour ago, Amjo said:

I usually eat an egg white spinach wrap for Breakfast or a Protein Shake, then maybe 3-4 chicken drummies for lunch and for dinner it varies. I have been drinking Water and eating potato chips. I walk moderately. Despite my calorie intake it is still less than I used to eat before the auto so what’s the problem. And no I’m not 💩 that much.

What? Don’t eat potatoe chips or potatoes or white rice or bread including wraps. I hope your 3-4 drummers are of the hot wing drum size. You should only be consuming between 200-250 calories every 3-4 hours & around 1000 calories per day if your a woman. Your Protein should be between 60-90 grams per day. Your protein should also be lean/low fat. Where in the world is your dietitian? Remember they work for you!

6 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Dude. The person claims to be eating a "half" a 6inch Subway sub and also to be eating 3-4 chicken drummies this soon out from surgery. LOL. And chips...but those are sliders and probably won't make his stitches pop. LOL.

This is what he claims to be able to eat:

I’m eating a spinach egg white wrap from Starbucks for Breakfast usually sometimes I’ll just have a Protein Shake. I usually walk half a mile to a mile a day. I usually eat 3-4 buffalo drummies from 7/11 for lunch, which equals to 1-2 wings. Then for a snack I may have potato chips. But I’m usually always hungry. I drink in excess of 64oz. Of Water. Sometimes I’ll have subway, half a six inch and chips. I know my diet is not that good but I don’t have time to cook so I usually eat from those places and for dinner I may have a cooked meal. It varies. My point is regardless of what I’m eating it is still less than I used to eat before surgery so why am not losing any weight? I haven’t been 💩 everyday either

Yes I find this hard to believe but if somehow it’s even remotely true they’re in desperate need of help!

2 minutes ago, Seahawks Fan said:

What? Don’t eat potatoe chips or potatoes or white rice or bread including wraps. I hope your 3-4 drummers are of the hot wing drum size. You should only be consuming between 200-250 calories every 3-4 hours & around 1000 calories per day if your a woman. Your Protein should be between 60-90 grams per day. Your Protein should also be lean/low fat. Where in the world is your dietitian? Remember they work for you!

Hahaha! But HALF a six inch sub! OMG. The tears are streaming down my face right now. This can't possibly be real. Can it? I don't often sense trolling, but for some reason meters are going off everywhere and I apologize in advance if I'm wrong! LOL!

I would really laugh if this was an RD or surgeon or someone in a bariatric office jerking our chain to see how people would react to this scary larry situation!

Edited by FluffyChix