Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ESG providers in Florida?

Hi there,

I am new to the forum and I have been considering getting a bariatric procedure. I have struggled with my weight for most of my adult life. I have tried everything I can to lose weight, but I seem to just keep getting bigger. The vanity of it is one thing, but now my bloodwork is showing me some scary realizations about myself. High cholesterol, very high triglycerides, slightly high readings on the liver enzymes (I think that's what it is, but I am not 100% sure what it means other than it's high), and my fertility hormones are all out of whack. I don't want to be this way anymore, but everything I try, I just can't succeed at because I am so hungry all of the time! It's frustrating! Even right now... I just ate a healthy, satisfying meal only 2 hours ago and I feel like my stomach is about to turn itself inside out just to get some more food. I considered having the sleeve procedure done a few years ago, but decided against it because I did not want to have an operation. My mother mentioned that she's heard some good things about the ESG procedure and I just wanted to get some feedback on what it is like on the patient side. I have done my internet research, but that can only get someone so far. I'd like to know if anybody has any negative feelings about it after having it done and of course, I'd love to hear any positives. I live in southwest florida and there is a big bariatric surgery center one city over, but it doesn't look like they have the ESG. Does anyone in Florida know of where I can get it done in Florida? I have started corresponding with a place in Houston, but I'd like to try to stay as local as possible. Any advice?

Kristin i'm just going to give you the advice,to Google your search.

Also leave a message on the ESG thread,,for one of the people on there, do it as @ their name or better yet just respond to the latest posting, say Hi my name is KristinW and I have some questions about ESG? Odds are good they'll respond back. Good luck, I will be having a RnY for,multiple reasons but I try to help where I can. God Bless[emoji13]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi Kristin,

I am 25 days, post-op, from getting an Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty done at the mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL.

Dr. Victoria Gomez was my surgeon. The procedure took 90 minutes total, and I only stayed overnight in the hospital. The recovery pain was manageable (I slept off the anesthesia, and the nurses came in every couple of few hours to administer fluids and pain meds). Since it was an endoscopic procedure, they warned I would have a raw throat or pain swallowing afterwards....but I didn't. Not in the least. I think that speaks to how good of a surgeon Dr. Gomez is.

Day 1 & 2 post-op, minimal pain...managed with some Rx drugs they gave me to take home. Day 3 - back at work. Seriously.

I've been very pleased. What AMAZES me is not only how so very little food fills me up now, but how I have little to no hunger. I've read that after a couple of months, my hunger will come back, but I'm telling you, it is the most freeing feeling. Food doesn't occupy my every thought any more. It's a non-issue. And tell you what, so is my grocery bill.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the process. I'm happy to share.

~ Kate

On 4/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, TransitionKate said:

Hi Kristin,

I am 25 days, post-op, from getting an Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty done at the mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL.

Dr. Victoria Gomez was my surgeon. The procedure took 90 minutes total, and I only stayed overnight in the hospital. The recovery pain was manageable (I slept off the anesthesia, and the nurses came in every couple of few hours to administer fluids and pain meds). Since it was an endoscopic procedure, they warned I would have a raw throat or pain swallowing afterwards....but I didn't. Not in the least. I think that speaks to how good of a surgeon Dr. Gomez is.

Day 1 & 2 post-op, minimal pain...managed with some Rx drugs they gave me to take home. Day 3 - back at work. Seriously.

I've been very pleased. What AMAZES me is not only how so very little food fills me up now, but how I have little to no hunger. I've read that after a couple of months, my hunger will come back, but I'm telling you, it is the most freeing feeling. food doesn't occupy my every thought any more. It's a non-issue. And tell you what, so is my grocery bill.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the process. I'm happy to share.

~ Kate

Kate, how is it going now? I spoke to someone at mayo today about ESG, but they made it sound pretty expensive. The self pay program sounded higher than a gastric sleeve at many other locations. Do you mind if I ask ball-park how much the surgery costs at mayo? I am looking for an ESG provider in Florida.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recent Topics

• Most popular:

• Recent Status Updates

• Krestel

Meal replacement shakes are soooooo good when you have a sore throat and don't feel good enough to cook. Plus, I always have lots of them at home. So I'm not tempted to grab crap from McDonalds (which has the best cold "medication"). 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Arabesque

This morning I had an abdominal ultra sound because apparently my cholesterol keeps rising.
      I don’t get it. My cholesterol was always fine & now when I eat less of everything & have lost weight it starts to go up.

My intake of fats & oils has decreased (not that I was a big fried food person before anyway) & not just because I eat way less. Always cut the fat of meats, still don’t eat bacon, use spray olive oil instead of regular oil. Even the tub of butter in my fridge has been there since before May. Lol.
      I just don’t get it? Is it because I don’t eat anywhere near the amount of vegetables I ate before? It surely can’t be because I eat a piece of cheese every day which I didn’t before? Are all my hormones screwed up? 
      Sigh! 
      · 3 replies
      1. Krestel

Cholesterol seems to be odd that way. I've got a suuuuper skinny brother-in-law who has sky high cholesterol. So don't let the whole "overweight" thing fool you. They seem to find it in people who have the genetic predispositions for it nowadays it seems. Our bodies are really still a mystery of how they react to certain changes. Just keep at it and keep talking to your doctor. Who knows, you could be a medical mystery?!? Embrace the challenge.

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/cholesterol/about-cholesterol/common-misconceptions-about-cholesterol

Think of it this way, you now have an excuse to try ostrich meat! http://safariostrich.co.za/2016/06/ostrich-meat-benefits/

PS. Gah hormones!

2. Arabesque

My dietician thinks it may be the regulatory hormones too & that my liver & gall could be having a freak out from the weight loss. It may be causing my low BP too. Hopefully the abdominal ultra sound will show something when I get the results.
        My maternal grandmother had issues which developed in her 70s but she’s the only one. No heart probs, no cholesterol worries in any one else (incl 13 aunts & uncles & my parents) - cancer seems to be our worry - sad face. And they still live into the 80s & 90s.
        Just strange that for 53 yrs my levels have been normal & 6months of weight loss & it’s now high.
        Don’t know about eating ostrich though that could just be burying my head in the sand - tee hee hee.

3. Arabesque

PS - My menopausal symptoms are still MRI. Even with a 42.5 degree day (108F) last Friday not a twinge of a hot flush. Best non scale victory ever. Guess you win some hormonal battles but lose others.

PPS - Wrapping Christmas presents with air con cranked up today even though it’s only 33C. Ho ho ho

• SabrinaGoddess

TOMORROW IS MY DAY!
      I am so very excited! My sister is here with me and my son. I am so excited. My anesthesiologist called me tonight to discuss our plans for tomorrow. I am not feeling nervous at all. Just excited for the future!
      I did buy a few bottles of CFpreop which is really suppose to help you stay hydrated. It's pricey but I feel it's worth it. I tried the Watermelon tonight. I have to stop all liquids after midnight and I go into the hospital at 5:30am for check in. My surgery is at 8am.
      SO HAPPY for this journey!
      You can get the CFpreop on Amazon if anyone is interested. It comes in Watermelon and White Grape.
      Read my night before thoughts on: www.SabrinaGoddess.com

· 1 reply
      1. GreenTealael

💚💚💚💚Safe Surgery & Congratulations💚💚💚💚

• GothGal

Started mushies on Thursday.  Had to remind myself to eat slowly.....you fill up fast!;
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • SabrinaGoddess

2 Days Till Surgery!   It's time! Time to start my clear liquids! I am prepared! Tomorrow I will only take in clear protein, bone broth and jello for the next two days.   My surgery will be done on Monday, December 9th at 8:00 AM. I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM (EWWW) but who cares? LOL. Funny how you don't get all upset about doing things that are not so fun when you are doing it for a purpose! . I don't plan on doing much this weekend. I have one errand to do and after that is over I will return to my hotel room and go into prayer and meditation. Believer or not, you got to do what you need to do in order to get your heart and mind in a healthy place. . I have a Pre-Op drink I ordered that is supposed to really help your body hydrate before surgery. It's not in the photo just because I don't have it in my hands yet. I will put photos of it up when I get it. . All I can think about it how blessed I am to be able to get this done. I know how it feels to be healthy and happy then have it snatched away. It makes this all the more joyful for me. . So, it's time to lay it down and start letting my mind process what we are getting ready to do. . By the way...funny story. My doc said he had to cancel a surgery because his patient said she thought "Mashed Potatoes" was a clear food! Um, there will be no mashed potatoes for me! LOL This is HAPPENING! . Last thought for today: I knew when they drew my blood yesterday it was going to leave a nasty bruise and I was right. I am so sensitive to that kind of stuff.  

· 3 replies
      1. Billy Bob

That photo looks like one of my phlebotomy jobs. lol

2. Billy Bob

YOU GO GIRL !

3. Krimsonbutterflies

That looks like me after seeing a needle, 😬

• Trending Topics

• Together, we have lost...
      lbs