Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband removal and RNY in May

I am feeling very anxious and somewhat discouraged waiting on my surgery, most of the Water has been removed from the band and i am eating what seems to me like a lot of food and gaining weight. My surgery is still 2 months away come on May. Anyone else had the band to RNy revision and if so how is it going.

I'm having my revision on Wednesday, and I can 100% relate to the issues faced after having Fluid removed from the band, I had a harder time eating the proper sized portions and for lack of a better description, I ate like an *rhymes with Bass Hole*, you know all the things you really aren't supposed to do, I did and I gained 8 lbs before starting my pre-op diet. But, good news is, I've lost 14lbs in 2 weeks thus far as of this mornings weight check. Just do your best, keep yourself in check and keep thinking about the reasons why you wanted WLS in the first place. Keep those Protein and Water intakes good and high, you'll be fine!

Edited by Matt Z

I think this is a topic that I can help you guys with.

Many moons ago (almost 10 years), I got the Lapband. It was put in at my highest weight...385lbs. I lost about 115 pounds in about a year...then gained back about half of the weight over a period of two years.

My band was filled way too tight. The only thing I could get down was junk food. I had lost my health insurance at the time...which is why I lived with it for so long. Fills were expensive, I couldnt afford to fill/unfill. I had terrible GERD. I couldn't sleep at night without spitting up Fluid. I was taking antacids (prilosec, tums, etc..) every day!

Long story short, I got insured again and went back to the doctor. I found out that my band had dilated my esophagus because it was too tight! They unfilled the band and life was good again. I could eat healthy food. I actually lost weight once I could eat other things besides sour cream, ice cream, and salads drenched in dressing.

Anywhoo...A few months later, I got the revision to RnY. BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE!

The weight has come off slowly since the revision. Most revision patients lose slower than first time bariatric patients. It has been 2 1/2 years since my revision, and I am less than 25 lbs to my goal weight. I can eat healthy food with no problems. Broccoli, steak, chicken, green Beans, apples...you name it...I can eat it. I now love whole foods and rarely touch junk food.

One word of caution I have for everyone is that the surgery alone does not fix everything. In addition to the support of my bariatric medical team, I also do the following:

1. Psychotherapy: Address the reasons why you are a compulsive over eater. If you need weight loss surgery, you likely have a food addiction. Find out what is causing you to turn to food for comfort. I see a therapist bi-weekly.

2. Diet: Get rid of sugar, flour, Pasta, bread, and rice. Those items are for thin people who need to maintain their weight. Not good for people who need to lose weight. Stick to Proteins, vegetables, and a limited amount of fruit.

3. Exercise: Find some type of physical activity that you enjoy. Do it regularly.

4. Support: Whether it is spiritual or just a support group, find a community that understands the problems associated with obesity. It could be a church or a medical support group. I personally go to O.A. (overeaters anonymous) even though I don't follow "the steps". I go for the fellowship and the weekly reminder of where I came from...and where I want to go.

Another tip... help answer questions on these boards. I don't do this often enough, but when i do, I find it is very therapeutic. Help yourself by helping others.

@nologoz I will add your advice to the journal I have started. I go back and read the jottings often . it keeps me grounded, reminds where I started and also where I want to end up.I am flawed like all of us but I am trying to be better. And if I can help or mentor a "newbie" that's a wonderful thing![emoji275]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I had an emergency revision from Lapband to RNY on July 5, 2017. I had my Lapband placed 1/2010 and in 7 years went through a LOT of misery and pain (too many details) and only lost 32 lbs, then gained 12 back. Since my RNY last July, I am thrilled to have lost 43 lbs. I can even eat without being in pain for literally hours every day. I have very little hunger - and sometimes eat to live ... and not live to eat. I am now under my goal in less than a year. Don’t be nervous. I’m sure that one day you will also be saying it was the best decision of your life. It certainly was for me!

Try not to be too hard on yourself. I had to have my band removed after 10 years and gained back a good portion of my lost weight in the 9 months before I had mini-gastric bypass. If you look at the research, over 90% of people regain after removal. Your body and metabolism have become accustomed to a small amount of food, so it's no surprise that you're gaining even if you're eating a "normal" amount of food. You have no restriction and there aren't many who could only allow themselves 1/2c of food per meal without that help. I'm 6 months out of surgery and have lost all the weight I regained and more. Just eat well, stay active and don't beat yourself up. The weight will come back off.

HI,

I”m having surgery to convert band to bypass as well on May 21st. I am very nervous about complications and such because of the conversion. I’m also having my gallbladder removed. I’ve had the band since 2010. I had terrible reflux and ended up anemic from an ulcer. I’ve regained almost all of my weight.

I am feeling very anxious and somewhat discouraged waiting on my surgery, most of the Water has been removed from the band and i am eating what seems to me like a lot of food and gaining weight. My surgery is still 2 months away come on May. Anyone else had the band to RNy revision and if so how is it going.

I got a lapband in 2009. I had my lapband removed April 2017 due to issues with it. I was required to lose weight during my 6 months of meeting with my NUT. It was a struggle but I lost 25 lbs before I had surgery in Dec 2017. I really pushed to lose the weight, because they said it is always harder with a revision surgery. I just wanted to give myself the best possible outcome. I'm currently 3 months out and I am doing well. I'm so glad I've been blessed with another chance to lose the weight and then keep it off. I just take it one day at a time and try to enjoy the process. I have my emotional times, but I pray a lot and I have an awesome family who is supportive of me. Do not worry about the weight you have gained so far. Just focus on what you can do before it is time for surgery. If you focus on the positive, you will get positive results. If you beat yourself up, then you will not be as successful as you could be.

Sent from my SM-T818T using BariatricPal mobile app

I had the lapband surgery in May of 2017. It never worked for me. I rarely felt restriction even with a full band. In January of 2018, I had the band removed (due to GERD) along with my gall bladder (had stones). I recently was approved for revision and I'm scheduled for RNY on April 26th. My insurance even allowed me to use my diet visits from the lapband preop since it was just last year! I can't wait! Good luck on your journey!

HW- 273
Lapband SW- 258 (5/5/17)
Revision SW-
CW- 251
GW- 140

On 19/03/2018 at 9:07 AM, Missfree49 said:

Hi there

I had my 10 year old band taken out and replaced with RNY 17 weeks ago today. I am now at my best ever band weight, and still easily losing a pound a week. The RNY is an utter breeze compared to a band, seriously! Wish i’d’ve Had the courage to switch years ago!

Fingers crossed for your journey...

I'm a little over 2 weeks from my revision from band to RNY. I had my band for 16 years. I am amazed at how well I'm doing just 2 weeks out. I've lost 37 lbs., that includes my 2 week pre-op diet. I feel great! I wish I had done this much sooner. I had developed a hiatal hernia and I could not tolerate any Fluid in my band. That was also repaired in my surgery. Good luck on your journey.

Well i go for my surgical consultation appt on Monday and find out when and how long i have to be on the pre op liquid diet. It is starting to sink in that this is really happening and I am so excited. Reading all the success stories really gives me hope that i can finally reach my goal wt.

Will be sending supportive thoughts Monday your way. Let us know what happens.😛

I'm a little over 2 weeks from my revision from band to RNY. I had my band for 16 years. I am amazed at how well I'm doing just 2 weeks out. I've lost 37 lbs., that includes my 2 week pre-op diet. I feel great! I wish I had done this much sooner. I had developed a hiatal hernia and I could not tolerate any Fluid in my band. That was also repaired in my surgery. Good luck on your journey.

Was your recovery hard with this? My revision. From lap band to RNY with hernia repair is in 5 days.. I’m so excited!