Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Favorite things you can do now that you couldn't before, or things you're looking forward to doing?

Yay! I love how many responses we're getting!

A lot of these are so relateable--MrsGamgee I too am so excited to have cute fandom tees that actually fit me!

I have cute AF clothes from eShakti, Modcloth, and Torrid, but I am very excited to be able to shop in stores. Seriously eff Lane Bryant.

Hiking, cross-country skiing, just enjoying the outdoors is so big for me--I live in Colorado and I can't wait to really experience our beautiful state more.

Yay! I love how many responses we're getting!

A lot of these are so relateable--MrsGamgee I too am so excited to have cute fandom tees that actually fit me!

I have cute AF clothes from eShakti, Modcloth, and Torrid, but I am very excited to be able to shop in stores. Seriously eff Lane Bryant.

Hiking, cross-country skiing, just enjoying the outdoors is so big for me--I live in Colorado and I can't wait to really experience our beautiful state more.

1 hour ago, sideeye said:

This one is huge for me. I have high-end retail clients and it absolutely kills me to have to walk into a meeting knowing I lose points right off the bat by wearing mid-brand, quasi-tailored stuff. They can tell at a glance, and nothing says "I don't understand your business" more than showing up on their turf wearing inferior brands. I am dying to reach maintenance and then assemble two or three killer designer outfits that I can have on-hand for that sort of meeting. It just wasn't possible at pre-surgery weight.

I'm also looking forward to being able to select food based more on my body's signals rather than head hunger. Before a lot of my meal choices were either opportunistic ("I better eat this now because I won't be able to later") or comparative ("As long as I eat less than Bob I'm fine"). But with the deck cleared so thoroughly I'm really starting to figure out what my system is asking for rather than what tastes good. I would love to get to a point where I'm more regularly choosing foods based on how I want to feel physically for the next two hours instead of picking what will taste good in the next 10 minutes.

Well maybe they should have thought, hm, perhaps this is an opportunity for us to expand our reach and attract an audience (and their dollars!) that really wants high-end well-tailored attractive fashionable clothes, rather than turning their noses up at you.

I hear what you're saying but high-end designer retail aren't looking for the dollars above size ten or twelve. At all. It would depreciate their brand. There's cachet in being able to wear clothes that everyone subconsciously knows only cater to a specific range of people, and those people are rewarded and envied socially (as we are all painfully aware). Not a pretty view of the world, but a realist and capitalist one.

Being able to wear their clothes into meetings clears the "but can you really understand us?" barrier right out of the gate.

Being able to slide into resturant booths instead of a table and chair, trying out furniture in a store and not having to ask for help getting back up, being allowed to sit on relatives furniture without them bringing in an old wood chair from the back porch, (yeah it really happened) being able to kneel and get back up at church without grabbing the pew in front, finding clothes in pretty colors instead of the ugly poorly cut ones I find in my local store's miniscule plus size department. Sometimes to fit the rest of me they gape at the neck. I have to wear a t-shirt underneath or expose the "girls" to the breeze. Find fitting slacks that don't ride up in the back and give me a wedgie. No longer buying Granny Panties and Industrial strength bras. Finding them in colors and prints instead of stark white. If I tried to get intimate with someone they'd laugh at my undies, and if by chance we got that far the size of my panties is so big when he tossed them they'd land over top of my lamp and obscure it. Of course the dark might be a good thing. Having my body not glow in the moonlight like an airport beacon. Being identified by my name instead of That fat woman with the red hair. Bring able to outrun a molester or at least able to raise my leg high enough,to kick him where it counts, the best I could do now is stomp on his toes. Rollar skate without banking myself into the side rail to slow down. Going to parades and being able to stand up and watch them. Maybe someday I can March in them again! Those are a few of my hopes and wishes.
Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I also am the "fat chick with red hair." And I can totally relate to an earlier response about selfies taken from an angle to show less chin...FB_IMG_1520699682872.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

My main goal is to eliminate having to use insulin for type 2 diabetes. I take 5 a day. The day that happens I’ll cry like a baby with a wet diaper.

i’m tall and would love to wear some of the cute tunics out there. Also a band hoodie/shirt.

another big one....not having to tell my nieces and nephew that I can’t do this or that with them!

My main goal is to eliminate having to use insulin for type 2 diabetes. I take 5 a day. The day that happens I’ll cry like a baby with a wet diaper.

I'm not on insulin but I take 5 different prescriptions every day. I can't wait to knock that number waaaaay down.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using BariatricPal mobile app

I can't wait to walk and walk without hurting. I want to be able to do the things at the gym that I can't do now. I haven't been to an amusement park in ages. I love them. I don't want to be the most overweight person in the office. I want to wear heels without pain. Any kind of cute shoe without pain. Clothes...oh my clothes. I can't wait!

I’m almost 8 months out and I relate to a lot of the wishes. I remember a couple months ago when I was sitting somewhere and went to cross my legs in the “4 position” with one leg perpendicular over the other, like all good fat thighs know how to do, when my top leg slipped over the other one and I was sitting with my legs crossed like a skinny person. What?! So cool.

And more exciting somehow than buying clothes because I can’t afford too much, is online shopping in size large. I COULD order all this stuff. You wouldn’t believe how many shops I have with full shopping carts full of stuff that would fit me! Doing that is really almost more fun than actually buying.

Agree with the others who say actually out there living and being active is the best part. And the OP mentioned ice skating. I’m teaching myself to ice skate! My little daughter is taking lessons. My balance is horrible. Possibly because I was fat so long, maybe I don’t have a good sense of my body. I love working out now. I prefer standing to sitting so I am on my feet a lot all day (I’m a mom). And we went to Disneyland last month: I was never body tired once. I never “needed to rest.” At the end of the day, I was more mentally worn out than physically, if that makes sense. I could have gone again the next day (my wallet couldn’t have though).

There are so many good things I can do now. This was the best thing I ever did just for myself.

Sort of running up the stairs (they say ‘tripping’ up the stairs - but this time in a good way!) instead of plodding while pulling myself with my hand on the handrail.

Unearthing beautiful and old favourite clothes out of storage. And not really minding that those flared pant legs went out of fashion 4 years ago.

Scuba diving - 13 sleeps to dive the pacific Athol of Niue!!!

Fitting back into my motorcycle gear - and loving riding it.

Being able to see what I am doing as I shave the backs of my calves!

Nice haircut with no fatroll on the back of my neck.

And the biggie - not imaging the rude things people are saying about me, such as when I cross the crossing in front of a car full of people...

I am looking forward to never having to think about weight limits!!!! Especially when it comes to furniture. I hate looking at a chair and thinking to myself “if I sit on that will it break?”

Horse back riding! I wanted to go horse back ridding while I was in Vermont last year. I was 30 lbs over the weight limit. Now I’m just 6 lbs over! So close!

Hiking anywhere and being able to keep up. I love to hike but I’m always afraid I won’t be able to make it to the end of the trail or over the rocks.

I can’t wait for my feet to shrink and to be able to buy regular boots and not the wide calf boots.

Smaller fingers! I have always dreaded the moment when I finally get engaged and the ring not fitting. I’ve never been close to getting engaged but for some reason this has always been a fear of mine.

Feeling confident enough to date. With online dating I’m always afraid that once the guy sees me he will run.

Buying regular clothes. I really want to be able to walk into a boutique and actually fit into the clothes. I want to be able to wear a bathing suit without a cover up on.

I am looking forward to not having to bother with that little shake test I do on chairs. I give them a little shake to see how sturdy they are...

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

15 hours ago, melsabells said:

i’m tall and would love to wear some of the cute tunics out there. Also a band hoodie/shirt.

another big one....not having to tell my nieces and nephew that I can’t do this or that with them!

You’ll get there. I was never insulin-dependent, but was on two Janumet XR pills a day. The day of surgery, that was cut to one, and then about two months later, I was able to stop taking it entirely. I was also able to stop taking Farxiga/Invokana the day of the surgery.

Overall I’ve dropped from four prescriptions to one (with a drastically reduced dosage), and I should be able to eliminate that one in May.

Shopping! I’ve always spent time and money on shoes, sunglasses, handbags and jewelry to accessorize and look nice because those sizes don’t change. Then i wear inexpensive plus size clothes to try to pull it together. It’s a dream to go on to a normal website/store and buy a normal size on the rack...no more “I wish...”. Like that dress? Go get your size and try it on!! [emoji173]️