Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My mother is taking contrave even though she has had gastric bypass surgery.

Well I do myself take Wellbutrin but mine is for mildish.depression, the appetite[emoji478] suppression is just another benefit. Anything to tame the grehlin monster, subdue the gastritis and keep Hector the baby ulcer sound asleep.[emoji12][emoji7][emoji12]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

FYI Contrave is Mysimba in the European Union, still a diet drug--- Wellbutrin and Narcan in combination.[emoji113] Guess it must work..[emoji10]

Wellbutrin and Naltrexone. Narcan is Nalaxone. Two quite different things. Narcan is an emergency drug used to treat an opiate overdose. Naltrexone is used to treat dependence and they find it also does well with compulsive overeating/binge eating disorder. Wellbutrin is a unique anxiety/depression medication that works on neurotransmitters and again has been useful for compulsive behaviors and addiction.

These are next generation medications that are very different and treat some of the underlying issues leading to obesity for some rather than the “speed” type amphetamines in the past, and have a much better safety profile.

But they will likely only work for those who eat compulsively/binge eat.

Today, has been kind of rough on me with regards to my march to surgery. Sometimes I dwell (or obsess) far to long on a thought. This time it is my alter ego fighting with me; It is telling me not to do it, please don't damage "our" stomach...

I'm litterally sitting here fighting a small war within myself; "why am I going to traumatize my stomach... Why are you going to remove 80% of our stomach... WHY?" Deep down, I know why, but my alter is just not up to speed... I know that I am unhealthy and slowly killing myself. But do you really need to mutilate us?

Anybody else play these mind games? Gosh, 5 more months of this and I am going to be frazzled! :)

It took me 2 years to actually make the decision for surgery. To me, it was an extreme last resort. But once I made the decision and began the process I felt good about it. Yes there were several days I thought I’d made wrong choice but I kept on with the process. I figured if I don’t want to do it I have right up until surgery day to change my mind. Well my surgery is in six days!!! April 9th I will enter the hospital and finally take my life back. I will have a tool to help me control the food. The food will no longer control me.

And everything in Flint will be fine and dandy on that day.I have ordered good weather that day from Amazon, if anyone can deliver they will. Of course nice Spring Weather may be on back-order or deleted from their distribution center. We may have to just wait and see![emoji3][emoji173][emoji3]PS Maybe I should have ordered from Alex at Bariatric Pals Store, they also have a good delivery record.

I'm much better today :1312_thumbsup_tone3: And still on track. My doctors office called to remind me of my April 6th weigh-in appointment.

April 6, 2018 Family Doctor Visit (2 of 6)

Stats:

Weight: 316.6

BMI: 44.2

Zero if any change, but definitely no gain! Discussion with doctor involved going for some lab work (fasting) to make sure I am not having any issues with my sugar or thyroid. Between the first visit and today's visit, I was all over the scale (down to 308 last week and up to 316 this week). I was frustrated with myself to say the least... but then this is why I am here in the first place, because I do not seem to posses the ability to lose the weight on my own.

On a finer note; because I have a history of blood clotting, and I have a sedentary job (and life style), I had my doctor write me a note to get an elevated desk lift for my keyboard, mouse & monitors. That way I can stand for a portion of the day while I work my desk job!

Next milestone is my first of three visits to my nutritionist, that will be on April 11. And on the 22nd of this month I will report back to my hematologist about my current Quest. The hematologist visit is a re-check, as I am on blood thinners due to my clotting issue, but this doctor is also the doctor who recommended I seek weight-loss surgery in the first place...

Glad to see continued movement on your journey. There are people I enjoy postings from and I count you among them. I was enjoying myself today reading away until I saw a posting from one of the few I found a detriment, gosh I had hoped she would go inactive but maybe she is of some use to another poster. Maybe I'll live and let live[emoji20]

Thank you frustr8, the comments are appreciated.

So a bit of a vent; my lab work, which is usually covered by insurance, cost me $32 today. Note here, this is not the lab work that is required for weight loss surgery, no, this is the lab work that my family doctor wanted to have done to check my sugar and thyroid. I cannot wait to get healthier so I can stop paying all of my new doctor friends... :)

In passing, I mentioned to a co-worker that I was looking at getting weight loss surgery in the next 4-months. Her reply was that "surgery is too invasive..." She recommended I "take pills" instead. Her thought was that medicine had advanced so much that obesity could be cured with a prescription. She did not know a specific brand or drug, but she remembered reading it somewhere...

Our talk was not a heart-to-heart, as this is the first time I had talked to her in a long time, as she works in a different department now, so I just smiled and waved. I do not mind telling people about my journey; sometimes you meet an agreeable personality, and sometimes you do not... everyone want to mean well, but in the end, it is my journey to carry.

Exactly! Most recently I let a doctor convince me to take a pill for my Psoriasis. I started a regimen of Otesla, which for all intent and purpose, sent my Psoriasis into remission. However, the pill also made me feel bad all of the time, and gave me headaches. Seeing as I am still taking a blood thinner, I was not able to take any over the counter meds like aspirin or Ibuprofen, so I ended up taking acetaminophen (daily) to counter act the side effects of the Otesla...

I do not wish to get into taking a pill to cure a pill that was used to cure a pill etc etc. I ultimately took myself off of Otesla, and the unfortunate side effect being, I now have full blown psoriasis...