Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

An Update to my Weight Loss Surgery Journey...

At my last doctors appointment, Friday April 5th; my doctor recommended that I get some lab work done to check my fasting insulin and thyroid condition. I had the lab work done yesterday, and my result were called back to me today:

Thyroid is normal, however, my fasting insulin was high. Normal is 2.6 to 24.9 and I came in at 35.7. The doctors office stated that they want me to start taking Metformin to help manage the insulin levels. The analysis being that the higher insulin levels, could be the cause to my lack of weight loss.

My next mile-stone on my weight loss journey is tomorrow when I meet with my nutritionist for the first time. Note; this visit is also a fasting visit. I plan to bring up the current diagnosis with her, so that she can correctly tailor a diet for me. Looks like my life-style changes are about to get real!

More after tomorrows visit.

Edited by Dragon64

April 11, 2018 1st Visit With Nutritionist

Stats:

Weight: 311.3lbs

BMI: 43.4

**NEW STAT** PBF: 47.8%

(PBF = Percentage Body Fat)

The talk with the nutritionist was good, one might even go as far to say 'uplifting'. Uplifting because I felt really good after talking with "Tacey". We talked at length about where I am at in the weight loss process, and we talked goals. "we have 5-months to help you start a complete life-style change..." We talked my good and bad behaviors, and developed a plan on changing the bad ones for good ones. Specifically reversing some of my bad habits, two at a time over the course of a month. My choices were love myself; and eat a meal healthily divided on my plate (i.e. 1/2 plate of non starchy veggies; 4-6oz lean protein; and 1/3 to 1/2 cup of healthy carbs) The last items was a behavior change, and I have decided not to eat in the living room while watching TV. Next month I get to select two more food practices, and one more behavioral change.

This visit started with two tests; the first was a breathing machine to help determine my resting caloric burn rate, and the second was to step on an InBody 520 machine, which determined fat, Water, and muscle content of my body (way to many stats to post here). Note: I had to fast for the tests. The data is an interesting base line from which to see changes that I will be making to my body mind and soul over time.

Next milestone is another doctors visit, slated for May the 4th (Be With You).

Alos one edit: I mistakenly stated that I needed to visit my doctor 6-times in 180 days... that number is actually 7-visits in 180 days. I must watch and manage the schedule carefully, because if I do not meet the 180 time frame, I have start this process over from the very beginning... :wacko:

Edited by Dragon64

Minor Update to my Weight Loss Journey:

I met with my Hematologist today; this is the doctor who first recommended that I seek weight loss surgery. He gave me high praise for my continued success, because according to his records (& scale), I have lost 22lbs since our January appointment. I have actually lost 17lbs since January, but his assessment sounds much better :P

I explained to him what has changed, and what I still have left to achieve, and that was pretty much it. He wants to see me again in August, to hopefully pull me off of the blood thinner, Xeralto.

Congrats on your progress!

Thank you Fluffy, the news definitely brightened my day!

And I am enraptured following your story as it unfolds. It is almost. like watching a child growing in maturity until they stand alone as an adult. Thank you for inviting me along on your journey!😛

Thanks Frustr8... I don't know about growing in maturity, but there does seem to be some un-used cogs starting to break loose (gears are turning again).

Jonnie I'm ready for a new installment, is the March still moving forward?

Indeed, currently I am experiencing weight loss from either the Metformin I was prescribed for my elevated insulin levels, or from following the diet work-up set forth by my bariatric dietician... maybe a combination of both. As of this morning, I am sitting at 304lbs, down 21lbs since I started this journey. I am told that if I lose enough weight, I may not need to be on the pre-op liquid diet very long. It will be decided the closer I get to the end of "the 6 month march."

Per insurance, I need 5-more visits with my doctor before Sept 4 (end of 180 day evaluation). My next scheduled visit is on Star Wars Day "May The 4th"

Thank you so much for thinking of me and asking for an update, I appreciate you very much.

Holey Moley you weigh less than me now! I guess you're going to show me how the pigs eat their corn- Good old country saying, isn't it? Just means I can learn by watching your good example, doesn't it? I'm getting so old commercials and TV jingles run through my head. Today's selection Mary Tyler Moore "You're Going to Make It After All!" My BMI is still hovering around 47, usually if you are close to 50 you have to be on 4 weeks instead 2 week liquid diet to shrink your liver. But we shall see,what we shall see. Maybe what doesn't kill me only serves to strengthen me.😜

Ahh,Ms. Moore, for I watched her shows well. And you are right, we will make it after all. Do you have a surgery date yet? It seems the closer I get to knowing mine, the further away it seems to get. Yes, I suffer from instant gratification; like internet sales, I want my tracking number (surgery date) NOW!!

So what, exactly am I doing?

1) Not watching TV when I eat

20 Cutting calories - although I am not counting them, I know that I am eating less by cutting out foods high in empty calories... walking a mile or so a day helps to burn the rest...

3) Cutting carbs back. Most of my carbs now come from healthy fruits like apples, strawberries, and grapes. As much as I love oranges, they are rich in sugar, so I must strictly moderate my intake of the juicy wedges.

4) knowing when I am hungry; stomach hungry (true hunger), and not head hungry. Head hunger stems from my food addiction, which I am refusing to feed anymore. used to smoke, so I know what it feels like when my head told I needed to smoke another ciggy. Food addiction brings on the same feeling.

No dang it all. But I am closer than I was when last we chatted. On April 25th,i had a psychological evaluation with Dr Kramer in Columbus. This time I passed and passed well. I was given a diet suggestion sheet, I am to go to 3meal/3snack plan, eating every 2.5-3 hours during my waking hours, chart daily on My Fitness Pal and bring my phone to my trifecta appointment. May 24th with my case manager, dietician and nurse practioner, we are going to plan my future surgery etc. Since I have been through the other facility's plan not once but twice, I think things will move faster, all my consults are less than 6 months old, after all. So I'm figuring somewhere between early June to late July. Surely hope June, my class reunion is August 11th,want this done, recovering and weight dropping,before then. Also have a bad left shoulder, broke right upper arm in 2010, overused left one to compensate to the level that joint is close to bone on bone. Hurts like Hades, wakes me up out of sound sleep almost each and every day. If OSU doesn't put me on fast-track I'll have it repaired first. Told "ortho" I will wait no longer than September because by then my patience and endurance will be shot. I am going through 45 minutes twice weekly PT, I am willing to try it but I know in my ❤ it needs surgical repair.

That is pretty strict compliance... every doctor I have had the pleasure of giving a co-pay to has asked that I use My Fitness Pal. I have used it, even recently, but I end up getting tired of always inputting and tracking data. Glad you are working well with your dietician, case manager and nurse prac. It is best to make the life-style changes now, so as to breed success after surgery. You can never be too prepared for anything.

Your class reunion is a good goal... heck about any goal is pretty good, especially once they are reached. I love a true sense of accomplishment. I graduated in 1982, and never returned.

The shoulder ordeal sounds miserable. Nothing I hate more than being in pain and literally losing sleep over it. Your forum name suits you, your year seems quite frustrating... but from what you have posted, you have a plan to remove all frustrations from your life. Stay focused, as you are going to prevail... Thank you for sharing!

Well I never went till my 45th, felt a failure because many of my,plans never came true. Also I am on the high end of the autism spectrum, of course didn't know it then, until the recent psychology type reorganization I fit more as Aspergers except even then until Temple Grand in no body credited there could be female ones. So much of the time I was outsider because people thought me weird. Really hurt, what had I done wrong. One of my former classmates kept apologizing repeatedly, finally told him he was forgiven but nothing I can remember was any different from what others had done. When I went in, a little scared, all these,guys came over, shook my hand, a few tried to hug me, all of them said how great it was to see me,how much they wished they had dated me in high school. I told them not only did that hurt my feelings but also that of my poor dead mamma. Not even the 2 Lesbians in my class asked me out.
I would still wish to,look little bit different. It is bad if someone hasn't seen you for that many years and still recognizes you without looking at the name tag. Call me a tad vain, but I would like to go from "Oh Hi",to "Hubba Hubba Hot Stuff" when we meet.I never got that much chance to turn down, let alone shoot down that many guys! I still would be kind and not shoot them down but a "No,Thank,You Very Much" would feel so good.
Hey good luck with the 4th, believe things will keep on going forward.