Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here has an experience of going through Bariatrix Florida?

Hi pals,

After much research, I have shortlisted Bariatrix Florida as one of the potential clinics for my sleeve surgery. I wanted to reach out to see if anyone here has an experience of getting surgery through them. It would be great to hear your experience and will certainly put my mind at ease. This is a huge step for me and I want to make sure I do my due deligence before I finalize a provider.

Thanks,

Ankur

Yes! I posted a review of them here, it shows up under Dr Wizman even though I used Dr Taggar. I was very happy, and traveled from SC to FL last August. Overall I am down 54.9lbs since last May.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi. Yes, had my surgery with Dr. Taggar. Just had my procedure on Valentines Day! Down 12 pounds so far. I’m back here in the hospital a week later because of my own doing. Tried to fast forward on the food stages. Before that had no pain after surgery, very little nausea post surgery on the same day, none after day one. I had a revision from a lap-band to SIPS.

2 hours ago, GassyGurl said:

Yes! I posted a review of them here, it shows up under Dr Wizman even though I used Dr Taggar. I was very happy, and traveled from SC to FL last August. Overall I am down 54.9lbs since last May.

Thank you @GassyGurl, I am choosing Bariatrix based on your recommendation and your good experience with them. Thank yoh again for your help and quick responses.

2 hours ago, deltagirl93 said:

Hi. Yes, had my surgery with Dr. Taggar. Just had my procedure on Valentines Day! Down 12 pounds so far. I’m back here in the hospital a week later because of my own doing. Tried to fast forward on the food stages. Before that had no pain after surgery, very little nausea post surgery on the same day, none after day one. I had a revision from a lap-band to SIPS.

Hi @deltagirl93, I am sorry to hear that. How did fast forwarding on your food stages led you back to the hospital?

I apologize in advance if it sounds too personal but I would be interested to know so I do not to go down a similar path.

Hi. Yes, had my surgery with Dr. Taggar. Just had my procedure on Valentines Day! Down 12 pounds so far. I’m back here in the hospital a week later because of my own doing. Tried to fast forward on the [mention=334275]deltagirl93[/mention], I am sorry to hear that. How did fast forwarding on your food stages led you back to the hospital?

I apologize in advance if it sounds too personal but I would be interested to know so I do not to go down a similar path.

Sure, I should have still been mostly liquid and introduced grits into my diet.

4 minutes ago, deltagirl93 said:

Sure, I should have still been mostly liquid and introduced grits into my diet.

Thank you. I am a foodaholic as well but not that I know, I will keep this in mind before I put anything solid in my mouth soon after surgery.

22 hours ago, GassyGurl said:

Hi @GassyGurl I had a conversation with Dr. Tagger and was impressed with how he explained me most of the things. I had a ton of questions which he answered patiently.

When asked about the hospital/ facility that I would be operated in, he mentioned Browaed Health in coral springs. Is that the same hospital you went to for your surgery? I would like to know your experience with the hospital, staff and anything else I should know before getting there.

Those are the reasons I liked him too. I had my surgery at Coral Springs. My only other surgeries were an emergency c-section in 1991 and a female surgery in 2007. Both left me pretty icky feeling and nauseous. I was a little worried with this one.

We were pleasantly surprised from the minute we walked through the door bright and early Friday morning. Check in was quick, and a lady greeted me by name at the top of the elevator and took me right into a room to change into a gown and start prep, including more bloodwork. Hubby got to stay with me the entire time, which helps with nerves! The Iv wasn’t the most fun, but tolerable. The process went pretty quick, I spoke to Dr Taggar, the anesthesiologist and the nurses checked in often. They took my nausea history pretty serious, gave me a patch, IV meds and I never had any issues. When it was time to go, they had me use the rest room (so no cath!) and they put meds in the IV and I didn’t even remember leaving the room. Also very good for nerves! I’ve read where some people are wheeled into the OR, aware of everything and I was worried I’d freak out. Next thing I knew, I woke in recovery to a nice nurse tending to a few post op patients. I asked what pain meds I had been given, and she said none. (I wasn’t in any pain, which seemed surreal) Hubby got to come back and visit, while we waited for a room. I was awake the whole time going up stairs and ended up helping transfer myself to my new bed, as mine was broken. There were 3 ladies trying to do it, but instead of laying there like they asked me too, I just grabbed the handle and scooted over. My nurse Luis did a once over, assessed my pain, got all the meds hooked up and had to go tend to other patients. When he got a chance, he came back, walked with me and verified I wouldn’t fall, then cut me loose. I was determined to not need assistance and I was able to get my leg cuffs off by myself, get myself out of bed, walk, get my leg cuffs back on and then settle back down. Slow process and sometimes comical, but what else did I have to do? Repeat over, and over for about 24 hours! Some of my neighbors were not feeling too hot, but I felt pretty good and walked over 100 laps before discharge. I received 3 food trays while I was there – tea, broth, Jello and crystal light and was able to finish all of it slowly. I felt like my pain was well controlled (I had none) but I had a reaction to something so they used IV benadryl which knocked me out and then I felt better. I never used the call button, but they came by to check on me, take vitals, blood, etc every few hours. My IV did blow and was painful, but I refused to let them do it again. Dr Taggar came by mid day Saturday, and asked if I wanted to go home, and I said of course. I walked myself out of the hospital (slowly with a babysitter nurse) around 3pm and went back to the hotel with hubby. Felt good enough to go to the beach (quick visit – it was hot) and walk around costco.< span> The gas pains hit right about the 24 hour mark and were slightly alarming, but the nurse promised it was gas, recommended walking, gas X, and laying on my left side. Said it would change my life, and he was right.

One thing that sort of weirded me out at first, is there were a lot of people speaking Spanish. Not to me, but to each other around the nurses station and such. I come from a very rural town, and it took me a few minutes to realize “duh, this is South Florida and this is normal!”.

I also like how I was able to create a patient portal account and download my records after surgery. Nothing like surgical notes or medications, but discharge instructions, test results, etc. I had to have this for my disability claim. The hospital also called to check on me post discharge a few times.

1 hour ago, GassyGurl said:

Those are the reasons I liked him too. I had my surgery at Coral Springs. My only other surgeries were an emergency c-section in 1991 and a female surgery in 2007. Both left me pretty icky feeling and nauseous. I was a little worried with this one.

We were pleasantly surprised from the minute we walked through the door bright and early Friday morning. Check in was quick, and a lady greeted me by name at the top of the elevator and took me right into a room to change into a gown and start prep, including more bloodwork. Hubby got to stay with me the entire time, which helps with nerves! The Iv wasn’t the most fun, but tolerable. The process went pretty quick, I spoke to Dr Taggar, the anesthesiologist and the nurses checked in often. They took my nausea history pretty serious, gave me a patch, IV meds and I never had any issues. When it was time to go, they had me use the rest room (so no cath!) and they put meds in the IV and I didn’t even remember leaving the room. Also very good for nerves! I’ve read where some people are wheeled into the OR, aware of everything and I was worried I’d freak out. Next thing I knew, I woke in recovery to a nice nurse tending to a few post op patients. I asked what pain meds I had been given, and she said none. (I wasn’t in any pain, which seemed surreal) Hubby got to come back and visit, while we waited for a room. I was awake the whole time going up stairs and ended up helping transfer myself to my new bed, as mine was broken. There were 3 ladies trying to do it, but instead of laying there like they asked me too, I just grabbed the handle and scooted over. My nurse Luis did a once over, assessed my pain, got all the meds hooked up and had to go tend to other patients. When he got a chance, he came back, walked with me and verified I wouldn’t fall, then cut me loose. I was determined to not need assistance and I was able to get my leg cuffs off by myself, get myself out of bed, walk, get my leg cuffs back on and then settle back down. Slow process and sometimes comical, but what else did I have to do? Repeat over, and over for about 24 hours! Some of my neighbors were not feeling too hot, but I felt pretty good and walked over 100 laps before discharge. I received 3 food trays while I was there – tea, broth, Jello and crystal light and was able to finish all of it slowly. I felt like my pain was well controlled (I had none) but I had a reaction to something so they used IV benadryl which knocked me out and then I felt better. I never used the call button, but they came by to check on me, take vitals, blood, etc every few hours. My IV did blow and was painful, but I refused to let them do it again. Dr Taggar came by mid day Saturday, and asked if I wanted to go home, and I said of course. I walked myself out of the hospital (slowly with a babysitter nurse) around 3pm and went back to the hotel with hubby. Felt good enough to go to the beach (quick visit – it was hot) and walk around costco. The gas pains hit right about the 24 hour mark and were slightly alarming, but the nurse promised it was gas, recommended walking, gas X, and laying on my left side. Said it would change my life, and he was right.

One thing that sort of weirded me out at first, is there were a lot of people speaking Spanish. Not to me, but to each other around the nurses station and such. I come from a very rural town, and it took me a few minutes to realize “duh, this is South Florida and this is normal!”.

I also like how I was able to create a patient portal account and download my records after surgery. Nothing like surgical notes or medications, but discharge instructions, test results, etc. I had to have this for my disability claim. The hospital also called to check on me post discharge a few times.

You are a champ and such a good human being. Thank you for explaining everything in such detail. Learning others experince definitely soothes your nerves as you start anticipating your own journey through their experiences.

On 2/22/2018 at 2:23 PM, GassyGurl said:

We were pleasantly surprised from the minute we walked through the door bright and early Friday morning. Check in was quick, and a lady greeted me by name at the top of the elevator and took me right into a room to change into a gown and start prep, including more bloodwork. Hubby got to stay with me the entire time, which helps with nerves! The Iv wasn’t the most fun, but tolerable. The process went pretty quick, I spoke to Dr Taggar, the anesthesiologist and the nurses checked in often. They took my nausea history pretty serious, gave me a patch, IV meds and I never had any issues. When it was time to go, they had me use the rest room (so no cath!) and they put meds in the IV and I didn’t even remember leaving the room. Also very good for nerves! I’ve read where some people are wheeled into the OR, aware of everything and I was worried I’d freak out. Next thing I knew, I woke in recovery to a nice nurse tending to a few post op patients. I asked what pain meds I had been given, and she said none. (I wasn’t in any pain, which seemed surreal) Hubby got to come back and visit, while we waited for a room. I was awake the whole time going up stairs and ended up helping transfer myself to my new bed, as mine was broken. There were 3 ladies trying to do it, but instead of laying there like they asked me too, I just grabbed the handle and scooted over. My nurse Luis did a once over, assessed my pain, got all the meds hooked up and had to go tend to other patients. When he got a chance, he came back, walked with me and verified I wouldn’t fall, then cut me loose. I was determined to not need assistance and I was able to get my leg cuffs off by myself, get myself out of bed, walk, get my leg cuffs back on and then settle back down. Slow process and sometimes comical, but what else did I have to do? Repeat over, and over for about 24 hours! Some of my neighbors were not feeling too hot, but I felt pretty good and walked over 100 laps before discharge. I received 3 food trays while I was there – tea, broth, Jello and crystal light and was able to finish all of it slowly. I felt like my pain was well controlled (I had none) but I had a reaction to something so they used IV benadryl which knocked me out and then I felt better. I never used the call button, but they came by to check on me, take vitals, blood, etc every few hours. My IV did blow and was painful, but I refused to let them do it again. Dr Taggar came by mid day Saturday, and asked if I wanted to go home, and I said of course. I walked myself out of the hospital (slowly with a babysitter nurse) around 3pm and went back to the hotel with hubby. Felt good enough to go to the beach (quick visit – it was hot) and walk around costco. The gas pains hit right about the 24 hour mark and were slightly alarming, but the nurse promised it was gas, recommended walking, gas X, and laying on my left side. Said it would change my life, and he was right.

Hello, I am considering Dr. Taggar as well. So you only stayed in the hospital one day? I would be traveling from NJ to Dr. Taggar and I am curious how much time you needed to take off in Florida?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I am considering Dr. Taggar as well. So you only stayed in the hospital one day? I would be traveling from NJ to Dr. Taggar and I am curious how much time you needed to take off in Florida?

Thanks in advance

We drove Thursday, surgery was Friday. I paid for 2 nights in the hospital, but was discharged after 1 night. Follow up at the office 10am Monday morning, then we drove home. He only does surgery like 2 days a week, then sees you in the office the next office day. Some people stay 2 nights, but I didn't think I needed it. Nothing wrong with the hospital, I'd just rather stay with hubby at the hotel.