Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HI:)

New to this forum and it's so educating reading everyone's stories, goals, concerns, ect. You guys amaze me at your strength and determination.

After much research i think i am going to have the gastric sleeve. Personally I think it's the best option for me. I talked to my insurance today because i had to get preapproved and things look good there. They have assigned me one of their nurses who will call weekly before and after surgery so that is nice.

Now i have to call for an appt with a surgeon. I will do that tomorrow seeing how that closed early today.

My biggest fear is telling my boyfriend and family. I am terrified to tell him afraid he will say he doesn't want me to or to tell my family or friends. Honestly I may not tell them at all but will have to tell the boyfriend seeing how we live together...lol

Anyhow any advice will be greatly appreciated. You guys have a great day!!

Well I'm sure a,lot of people will want to comment on this. Dr Matthew Weiner says this is one of the most major decisions in life. You will get people who will tell you horrible stories, same group who go around telling pregnant women the are going to die. Surgery isn't the easy or quick way out. Your body,no matter which surgery you choose, is forever changed. It takes guts to go through it and a lifetime commitment to make it work. You can't just waltz into a surgeon's office, announce you want surgery and get it the next morning. I had to have cardiac & pulmonary clearances, meet with a nutritionist several times, meet with my surgeon and his staff, have a psychological consult cause the surgery can mess with your mind in several ways, some people go into a funk or even worse depression. So you need to be stable mentally to hanle the stressors. I had to have a sleeping study, found out I do have sleep apnea, you will have xrays, ultrasounds, bloodwork and a cute little thing called. an EGD stands for esophagealgasroduodenoscopy, they put a fiberoptic tube down your throat and into your stomach and small intestine and look around. In the US and Canada I know they put you to sleep, I've heard a nasty rumor they do it with you wide awake in some parts of Europe. Do not think that would be enjoyable. Are you doing this for yourself? Are you willing to give up some foods and drinks, either temporarily or permanently? You in all likelihood will never eat large portions, drink,with your meals, things will taste different and some things will either not agree with you or you'll lose desire for. You may have to adhere to an exercise plan or meet with lifestyle coaches. After all this you still want to go forward then I'd say your head is on straight and you may make a success of it all. For me I reached a point where I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I found myself less afraid of surgery and all It entails than remaining fat until I died. And. at 72 that may be closer than I like to think. So I hope in the next 6 weeks to have RnY surgery, it is my hope at a future. If I can lose weight and get healthier I will smile every morning and sing every night. I hope my honesty doesn't frighten you, I figure my advice might help a little. Good night and Godspeed.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you thank you thank you!! This is what i want! Straight up honestly whether it's someone's opinion or pure fact. I really do appreciate it and no you didn't scare me. I am just excited and anxious to get going!!

Thanks again!!

Hi Sammi!!! Welcome!!! I just recently had my surgery and everything went great, I am fortunate enough to get my fluids and Protein in every day but I literally spend all day doing it!!! I do not regret getting the surgery but by no means is this easy. My hope for you is that your boyfriend will support you! Best of luck on your journey!!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using BariatricPal mobile app