Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help, feelin blue

ok, so i was down like 20-21 lbs or so. this morning that damn scale said i had gained like 2 back. WTH? plus, i thought i would be fitting into smaller pants. i do, but they are kinda tight. i guess i just thought that down 20 pounds would make more of a difference in my pants? i dont know. i am feeling really blue the last couple days. i am on mushies. i just want to eat. i know its in my head...

i think i just need some words of encouragement, or maybe a good swift kick in my butt.

i am finally getting an appetite back. i am scared to death that i will gain back the weight i have lost before my first fill on the 15. i know this is suppose to be the healing period and not the loss period, but omg, what if i gain that back? i am having horrible head games with myself! why cant i get past this? this is so much more a head thing then i expected! any tips on what to do to get past it?

Hello...just wanted to say that everyone's body looses differently. You may be losing inches somewhere other than your waist. That is what has happened to me with about the same amount of wt loss. I have lost most of it up top and now my but looks bigger bc my top is smaller....LOL So keep your chin up, it will all come off sooner or later.

As for the gaining weight back, my doctor said it is perfectly natural to gain weight in this period before first fill, BUT he wants us to be proactive and combat it. Once you get to where you are on close to solid food, my Doc wants us to be on the South Beach Diet. Believe me, that diet works, I lost 11 pounds in one week on it during my preop! Also wants us to exercise regularly again...You get the picture. Basically he is saying we have to learn how to use this tool now!

Also, it is good just to vent sometimes!!!! I want to say that I am not losing much at all post op and I am still on full liquids and very sof mushies....SO I know how you feel....Good Luck, hope some of this helps!

Melissa

Those horrible scales...I just hate mine too. They lie. ;)

But seriously, you keep going forward. Let's remember how much we want this and why. Right it down and then go get the tape measure and feel better. I know how you feel...I'm into day 23 of a 28 day liquid diet. I'm hungry and bored with this liquid phase particularly not seeing the scales decrease in three days. So see, I am bumbed also. It's not just you. Did I tell you it's raining here in NC for the past two days. I know we need it but PLEASE!!!!

Oh - I was so excited to see the Dr for my first post-op appointment!! I woke up early and got to work early so I could leave around 11:40 to get there by my noon appointment. When I stepped on their (low down lying varmint) scales, I weighed 4 pounds more than I did this morning on my (wonderful) scale. When I complained to the nurse, he smiled and said 'yeah, our scales seem to weigh high'. I wanted to slug him. Then he told me that the weight doesn't matter - only the actual difference from the higher weight to the lower weight (duh!).

The thing is, this Doctor is only in my town one day a week and they carry that danged scale around like it's a briefcase. So how do I know its calibrated even close to what it was when I was weighed 2 months or even one month ago ??

Then.. I thought I would be allowed 'soft foods' today and the Dr said not until 2 weeks after surgery - which would be Tuesday ! I am starving for something that's NOT SWEET! These Protein drinks and shakes are starting to gag me.

So, what do I do - I come home and read topics on here and in my Lap Band books about all the things I will never be able to have again... I live alone and tonight I'm having one of those 'what the hell have I done????" nights. :car:

I know I've lost more than the measly 12.5 pounds he wrote down ... For crying out loud- I haven't eaten anything for 16 days !! Ok, I'm done ranting now - but I still feel sorry for myself tonight. Tomorrow will be better .. it better be!!

Judy

I had been doing really well until today. I was on clears with Protein Shakes and started purees today. Well, I was out running errands and was STARVING so, I stopped to get a side of mashed potatos and I got some chicken for my daughter...well, I was only going to have the 3 oz of potatoes that my doc said....I ended up eating the whole 16 oz serving!!! THEN I had 2 bites of chicken. I didn't really feel any restriction, I just burped a lot after. I need to not eat potatoes. They really are a trigger food for me. I am so dissapointed in myself,and even thought I know that I haven't had a fill yet, I am bummed to know that I can get that much food in. I wish I hadn't found out at all.:angry

I've lost ten since my banding on 10/17. eventually you will be able to have anything you can puree in your mouth so don't get down. It is such a wonderful tool and you won't regret it when your clothes are falling off. My friend has lost 65 lbs since her april banding

Don't get down on yourself! this is the band healing process, not the restriction process. The real weight loos begins after your first fill. My friend had her band done last friday and has been eating crackers all week. We are all different. Don't give up

Don't get down on yourself! this is the band healing process, not the restriction process. The real weight loos begins after your first fill. My friend had her band done last friday and has been eating crackers all week. We are all different. Don't give up

I second this...

This is not a magic cure. We just got it put in, and it hasn't been "turned on" Think of it this way: Let's say you bought a really nice car and you wanted to drive it around town, but you hadn't got the key yet. Would you go out to your driveway every morning bang your head on your steering wheel and say, "For the love of god! Why can't I go anywhere?" That would be the most retarded thing you could ever do. According to every book that deals with lapbands says there is a great possibility that we will gain weight during the recovery. Now it is true some people are losing weight during the recovery stage, but are we living with them, do we have their bodies? NO! My doctor told me never compare yourself to ANYONE else; you will be much happier. During this recovery process our bodies are doing crazy things like holding on to gas, and Water. I would put your scales away until I have been on solids for a month, and started a exercise routine. That is just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone - I know deep down inside this wasn't a mistake, but sometimes I just miss food ! Again, living alone and only a few people know about my surgery, so I really don't have too many people to VENT to - other than my adult children. The last thing they need is to hear their mom whine about something like this.

The weight loss part isn't as bad as hearing all the list of things I can never eat again. When I asked my surgeon before proceding with this surgery - what will I be able to eat once I'm through this - he said ANYTHING. Then he did qualify it by saying 'some people have trouble with stringy meats like chicken and steak - and SOME DOUGHY BREADS. That didn't seem like a big deal.

Then I read about all these people who can't even tolerate one bite of any kind of bread. The chicken and steak isn't such a big deal to me. A friend of mine who had gastric bypass two years ago said he can't eat chicken - except processed - like McNuggets.

Cookie - you are right - I need to RELAX. This is going to take a year or so to get to where I need to be. There will be plenty of foods that I LOVE that I'll be able to eat again.

Sorry about the pity party - but thanks for the support. I needed it!

:car:

Topdownbug,

I was banded the day after you. I am upset that I was able to eat pizza hut last night. I need to remind myself that just because I have the band, it does not mean I don't need willpower. I still have to make the big decisions regarding what to put in my mouth. Good luck to you

i appreciate everyone's responses. i seem to have good days and then blue days. i am pretty sure this is normal.

topdown---i too get that, "what have i done?" feeling, but i know it is worth it. and this is the hard part. i think i have read that it is referred to as bandster hell? that is so true!

i KNOW this is the best thing i have done for myself. i KNOW this is a tool that i must use, not a magic cure. its just hard to do what i am doing and not see a loss, does that make sense? oh i am sure it does, each of you is going through, or has gone through this same thing.

my hubby isnt supportive, so i cant vent any of this to him. thank you all for the encouragement and feedback. good to know i am not alone.

my time-table is to lose this in a year. a year! and when i see those couple pounds bouncing back up and down and up and down on the scale, it is discouraging. but i know that i am only 4 weeks out, and 2 weeks from my first fill, when i will really start working this band! and then i will see results.

thanks again to everyone. it helps to know i am not alone in my misery and questioning and the highs and lows.

My doctor warned me right away that I would be gaining some weight back once I went off of liquids which only make scence. I have lost 22lbs, I can see it in my face (I finally have some bone structure instead of a pumpkin) and my boobs are getting a little smaller but I haven't noticed any difference in my clothes. So don't worry about it! We will get through it!

Hi, I was banded on 6th October and I've been having the same issues. My pants actually feel tight on me again today and I know why - I've been drinking cordial because I felt so thirsty and have been snacking on stuff too. We went out to dinner last night at a friends and I managed to have seconds of dessert - admitedly the portion size was very small but my son looked across the table and said "Mum you should be full!" in a quiet voice, but I did feel pretty lousy.

I have my first fill appointment tomorrow so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

The other issue for me is alcohol - the several glasses of wine still go down very easily and this isn't going to help the weight loss overall. That's another thing to struggle with - it's much easier for me not to eat than not to have a glass/bottle of wine while watching TV each night.

Anyone else have that problem?

cheers! Jude

Hi, I was banded on 6th October and I've been having the same issues. My pants actually feel tight on me again today and I know why - I've been drinking cordial because I felt so thirsty and have been snacking on stuff too. We went out to dinner last night at a friends and I managed to have seconds of dessert - admitedly the portion size was very small but my son looked across the table and said "Mum you should be full!" in a quiet voice, but I did feel pretty lousy.

I have my first fill appointment tomorrow so I'm hoping that will make a difference.

The other issue for me is alcohol - the several glasses of wine still go down very easily and this isn't going to help the weight loss overall. That's another thing to struggle with - it's much easier for me not to eat than not to have a glass/bottle of wine while watching TV each night.

Anyone else have that problem?

cheers! Jude

IT,S SOOO GOOD TO KNOW I,M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH ALL THESE ISSUES...LOL IT I DIDN,T FIND THIS SITE I WOULD BE INSANE BY NOW.

I HAVE BEEN BANDED 11 WEEKS NOW AND WHILST I WAS BEING VERY FOCUSED AND DISCIPLINED FOR 10 WEEKS RIGHT UP TILL MY FIRST FILL WAS DUE I WAS THEN TOLD THE DAY BEFORE MY APPT THAT IT HAD BEEN CANCELLED! DUE TO INCOMPETENCE FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER ANYWAY I WAS FURIOUS AND PRE MENTSTRUAL AND HAD ALL SORTS OF ISSUES I NEEDED TO SPEAK TO THE DOC ABOUT AND JUST FELT DEVASTATED! I HAVE TROUBLE GETTING AN APPT THAT FITS IN WITH WORK AND SO HAVE TO WAIT TILL NOV16 NOW. I DON,T KNOW IF IT,S BECAUSE OF HAVING TO WAIT EVEN LONGER OR WETHER IT,S JUST PART OF THE PROCESS BUT THIS WEEKEND I WAS SOOO OUT OF CONTROL. I DRANK WINE, I ATE CRISPS AND chocolate AND NOW I FEEL REALLY DISSAPOINTED AND ASHAMED OF MYSELF. I DON,T FEEL LIKE I AM GETTING MUCH SUPPORT FROM THE SERVICE PROVIDER IN FACT I COULD WRITE A BOOK ON THE FARCE I HAVE HAD WITH THEM BUT THAT,S ANOTHER STORY, SO LIKE I SAID THIS SITE IS A LIFESAVER FOR ME I SEE SO MANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME ISSUES AND I GET ALL THE ADVICE I COULD WANT. SORRY FOR RAMBLING ON SO LONG , IT,S GOOD TO VENT THOUGH.