Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out With the Old--In With the New!

I was going to call this Break On Through To The Other Side (thank you Doors). But I figured I'd get sick of it after a while. I'm going to use this space to keep track on the 2 week march toward surgery and then to keep track of the recovery and progress. That way I can keep it all together and if I just do one thread, it's all in one place without clogging up the Blog Area. I'm sure it's gonna be excruciatingly boring to everyone--me included! I'm a list and minutia kinda gal. I like tracking and counting--although I can be equally lax about crap. So I stop just short of OCD town (not that there's anything wrong with that).

My official 2 week liquid diet starts tomorrow. I decided to jump on it today because Sunday feels like a great place to start and because it's hard to do better than yesterday as my last food day before surgery. I'm a Texan, born and raised, and yesterday we had a fairwell to my ass and thighs via a Texas BBQ tour through Houston and Tomball. I ate so much brisket, sausage and ribs, I can honestly claim to be over it. Growing up in a BBQ family, slow smoked meats is almost in my blood. So it was only natural that I would choose that as the last rights.

I'm having RNY on February 20th and as I understand it, moist (fatty) brisket might not be my friend post surgery. Supposedly high fat foods (which moist brisket is) might cause a sort of "dumping" in the poop department. So I figure my future, once healed, might only include lean cuts of brisket and smoked meats. It's a choice I will readily make to lose weight and get my health back.

So the morning Day 1 hasn't been very difficult--a little hunger and growly tummy, but nothing that makes me feel anxiety. Protein Drinks on board and this afternoon will shop for SF popsicles, SF Jello and Bone Broth. I think I'll stick to packaged bone broth so I can get the actual nutritional information from a certified source. There's no real way for me to tell how many calories and carbs are in the bone broth I make here at home.

My Pre-Op Plan includes: 80-100g of protein; low fat; 60g carbs and somewhere around 1000cals per day.

4-5 Protein drinks containing a minimum of 15g of protein per serving. They must be low fat and low sugar and can't contain over 4g of sugar per serving. I can have clear low sodium broths, sugar free drinks, sugar free jello and sugar free clear popsicles (no fudgsicles or ice cream based pops).

I will do this from now until February 20th.

I'm pretty sure I will be doing plenty of the following:

image.png.231a3cc9df44a77846092bdd2e6ababb.png

Edited by FluffyChix

I'm so excited for you Fluffy! You've got this! Your pre-op diet sounds much like mine was, but mine was only for a week. The first few days was hard, but after that I really didn't have hunger so much as cravings for something to chew and crunch. The ice pops helped with that.

Are you able to make your Protein Shakes with unsweetened soy milk? I was allowed either a cup of milk/soy milk, or a 1/2 serving of fruit, to blend into the Protein shakes. I found that mixing my shakes with some ice to make them like a milk shake made me feel nice and full, and the soy milk helped because it was thicker than regular milk. Even if you can't add the soy, thickening the shakes with some ice is a nice treat on it's own.

Yo have you see my posting on February sleepers etc, its an update on my life, feel life,has plunked down a prickly pear or century plant in my path. I'd come eat brisket with you except every since the gastric problems I can't engorge like I used to. A 2edged sword darlin'.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Am rooting for you, Fluff. I know you've worked really, really hard. Glad you had a fond farewell to old favorites, and are back on track for the win:) I 100% believe you're gonna do this thing, and kick butt doing it.

@ChaosUnlimited Thank you sweetie!! ((hugs)) Yeah, you know the hunger part isn't so bad (today--haha), but I definitely get you on the chewing part! But so far for a first day it's pretty tame I think? I can have milk, soy milk, or coconut milk (fat free, skim/unsweetened). I think for dinner I will make a shake as you suggest with Isopure bananas and cream powder, Peanut Butter powder and also 1/2c of Fairlife Fat Free and 1/2c of unsweetened vanilla SO Delicious coconut milk with ice cubes, then take a really long time to drink it. LOL. I'm stocked with broth, popsicles, and Jello for later if needed. I know that days 2&3 will be worse before it gets better though, so will just take it a day at a time. Right?! :D

@kakatlady612 So sorry to read about your scheduling snafu!!! ((hugs)) I'm praying that they get it worked out for you quickly on Monday morning! I'll go check Feb. Bypassers after dinner hon! Hang in there. Please don't be sad. Gosh, there have been so many false starts and then stops on this journey, I think we all "get" to experience them. :(

@Creekimp13 Thank you hon!!! ((hugs)) I am back on track for certain. And you know, to be honest, it wasn't as if yesterday was "super off track" by other people's definitions. LOL. I at maybe 10oz of BBQ from 11am to 6pm with green Beans as my side. No sauce, no sugar. So really, it was just the shear volume of calories from brisket and sausage. Lots of fat to be sure! hehe! MMMMMmmmmm fat! But today's been an easy-ish first day and hopefully tomorrow will be tolerable as well!

I'm just actually excited and beyond nervous that my baser instincts won't screw up my golden shot at redemption. :(

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm just actually excited and beyond nervous that my baser instincts won't screw up my golden shot at redemption.

Fluff...you won't screw up. You've been at this a while, and you're serious as a heart attack about seeing it through.

And guess what? If you do screw up? You can learn something from your screw up and wake up the next day with another chance.

All you need is steadfast determination to not give up.....and you've got that in spades.

Hang onto your butt....this just got real:)

3 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

Hang onto your butt....this just got real:)

Hahahahaha! IKR?????!!!!! :o

Thank you darlin'!!! Please feel free to remind me and tough love me if my head goes haywire and you hear me rationalizing slackin' off or deviating from the plan! Ok? ((hugs)) :780_sparkling_heart:

1 hour ago, Nanajokaper said:

Having sleeve tomorrow morning really scard

Hang in there sweetie!! This time tomorrow night you will be on the other side and each day you will be improving more and more and losing a crap ton of weight!!!! ((hugs))

Day 1 is out of the door and a huge success, I might add. There was some hunger, but luckily, no hanger! Mr. F. is relieved! I didn't get all my food in as "scheduled". My doc would have me eat the first meal at 8am. Yeah, whatever. If I eat at 8am, I wake my hunger up for the day. I'm going to try to push it back to 10am as the first meal and have black decaff coffee until then.

I can say hands down, the hardest part is interacting with food: watching food shows, commercials on tv, washing dishes/cleaning the kitchen, shopping, and cooking an actual meal for your normies, is really quite difficult. So do them as little as possible. LOL.

It's also very strange to see just how MUCH free time you have on your hands when you're not eating. It felt like the day took much longer! Ha! Let's just say, instead of being productive as I should have been, I played a lot of hearts and solitaire on my iphone. :D But hey, whatever gets you to the finish line, right?

Oh, and dayum, my fairwell tour of BBQ was not a friend to me. I went from 228 up to 234 for my official Pre-Op liquid diet weigh-in. It's so bogus that I can gain up 10lbs overnight. Let's just say my ankles are cankles. :( Even though there weren't many carbs involved (green beans), or noticable sugar, I got dogpiled. So that sucks. But I just will move forward.

I'm attaching my food log from yesterday as it finished playing out last night. I'm gonna go read how much milk I can have with my Protein Shakes. I'm pretty sure there is a limit.

020418FluffyFoodLog_Day1PreOpLiquids.JPG

Edited by FluffyChix