Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FH wants to go to a prix fixe restaurant... any experience??

I asked him to help plan something for Valentine's as I wanted him to be able to pick something he'd enjoy... so he picked a (not cheap!) restaurant that is only offering a prix fixe menu that evening... 5 courses and half a bottle of wine.

I'm not a fancy people :x I've never done any kind of prix fixe menu. I know for sure I can't eat 5 courses and half a bottle of wine!! They don't have the menu for the night posted either, just that it's 5 courses. Will it be weird if I take like a single bite of each course and ask for a doggy bag for everything else? Eat just the first course and ask for the rest bagged? Will they even let me do that??? Is that a waste of money????? I'm just imagining getting nervous about asking for leftovers and over-eating and puking in the restaurant bathroom and having gross Valentine's puke breath and wasting my money down the toilet and blahhh. Am I just overthinking this???

I have a bit of a history of nitpicking his choices (I'm much more of a planner than he is) and I really do appreciate that he picked something, so I don't want to change plans if we don't have to. I will talk to him about it if I need to but I need to know if I'm just overthinking before I do that. Have any of you had experiences eating at prix fixe restaurants post-surgery? Is it manageable or am I going to look like the world's biggest douchebag?

I'd just order 1 dinner and share bites of his. He can feed you like in 9 1/2 weeks. :D How's that for romance? ;) hehehe

1 minute ago, FluffyChix said:

I'd just order 1 dinner and share bites of his. He can feed you like in 9 1/2 weeks. :D How's that for romance? ;) hehehe

Haha. I think we would get a few looks... :P

Unfortunately they're only offering the prix fixe menu and it's a "you sit, you order" sort of deal (I called earlier today to ask but forgot to ask about leftovers...) so sharing one meal is not an option. I'm considering asking him to pick somewhere new but I feel bad because I know he was proud of himself for finding somewhere so fast lol.

Just go do it and bring home lots of leftovers! And don't let him make you sit on the floor at his feet. :D ;) You'll have a blast!

Just roll with it. Not the best choice on his part, as far as what you can eat. Be up front with the staff at check in/server. And you can always box it up, you are paying for it. Prior to surgery, hunny and I would fine-dine several times a year and never any issues boxing up all your courses. Take one bite and have them pack it up :)

4 hours ago, elliekay said:

I don't want to change plans if we don't have to

Be that as it may, your husband has not chosen wisely for:

(a) your food consumption reality AND

(b) his wallet.

Speak to him early, ASAP, and ask him to reconsider ... but clearly explain why.

I agree with my friend Rainbow Warrior who can see it from the guys side too. FH thinks he's being kind, might even be,proud of you, but this could,be too kindness too soon. If he could only do this for,Mother's Day,Bday or something else. Try going the box up route if he's adamant about it.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

I will normally Celebrate Valentines Day the day/weekend before, because I hate the fixed menus, extra cost, large crowds and long waits. We will go wherever we want, and then either have leftovers on Valentines Day, or I will cook a good meal for us.

If this isn't an option for you, then I would just order the 5 course feast, eat bites of each course, and then bag up the rest for home. Honestly, everybody is so into doing their own thing, that nobody will notice. Even if they do, who cares? Do your thing.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:26 AM, Rainbow_Warrior said:

Be that as it may, your husband has not chosen wisely for:

(a) your food consumption reality AND

(b) his wallet.

Speak to him early, ASAP, and ask him to reconsider ... but clearly explain why.

Haha more unkind to my wallet. If he was paying for the entire thing I'd be less apprehensive about it (is that mean?) but we're splitting the cost so I feel silly paying so much for a meal I'll mostly be eating as leftovers, if I even finish them before they go bad. I'm going to try mentioning it to him today, thank you for the advice (and thanks to everyone else who gave advice!)

On 1/26/2018 at 5:47 AM, DropWt4Life said:

I will normally Celebrate Valentines Day the day/weekend before, because I hate the fixed menus, extra cost, large crowds and long waits. We will go wherever we want, and then either have leftovers on Valentines Day, or I will cook a good meal for us.

If this isn't an option for you, then I would just order the 5 course feast, eat bites of each course, and then bag up the rest for home. Honestly, everybody is so into doing their own thing, that nobody will notice. Even if they do, who cares? Do your thing.

I wanted to do that this year but I'm traveling both the weekend before and the weekend after! Which is weird because I never travel.