Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February bypass buddies?

I will. A little skeered! We're leaving now! Wish me luck!

i missed the weigh in :D but here are mine too

SW 251

GW 152

Cw 224

So far ive lost 27 pounds.. My weightloss is slow.. but steady. At my hospital we have to keep a diet of 1000 cal per day.. 6 meals and 60 grams to 80 grams of Protein ..

4 minutes ago, tuli-ps81 said:

At my hospital we have to keep a diet of 1000 cal per day.. 6 meals and 60 grams to 80 grams of Protein ..

Congrats on the progress so far!

I've seen a huge amount of variation on here of what's recommended by different programs in terms of food choices at the different stages. Your programs advice certainly looks sensible.

I'm curious though if you received advice only on calories and Protein - was there any information given on the broader macros such as grams of fat and grams of carbohydrate? I probably wouldn't even be that aware of these other than the fact that I am using My Fitness Pal to track my protein, but it's giving me all of the other stuff on fat / carbs too.

So I talked to my surgeon today, and my only dietary specifications now are to keep working on meeting my liquid (48-64 oz)/protein (60-80 grams), keep my diet low sugar and relatively low fat, and work toward getting into the 1000-1200 calorie range per day (I have no idea what I'm at currently because I didn't have to monitor that in the first few stages). White bread/pasta/rice is not recommended but not flat-out restricted, but I've made a goal for myself to stick to 100% whole wheat and brown rice for as long as possible (and still not very often). I can introduce other foods whenever I please, and if they don't work, just put them aside for a few weeks and try them again later. I do not have specific carb/fat ranges to aim for.

After I got home, I went to the store and bought salad fixings (spinach, crinkle cut carrots, cubed ham, and fat free French dressing); fish sticks (I ate three for supper); and a box of that bacon you just have to microwave (it's a little high in fat if you eat a full serving of three slices, but I'll probably only be able to eat one at a time). I was so happy to have something CRUNCHY! I can't wait to make a piece of toast topped with a little bit of reconstituted PB2 and sugar free strawberry preserves tomorrow. (Don't know that I'll even be able to eat a whole slice, but that's okay.)

My recommended size for meals at this point is 4-6 ounces or 8-12 tablespoons, but I still can't even eat half a cup sometimes, depending on the food. Still working up to that.

Edited by istytehcrawk

Just starting my journey #2. Had Lapband in 2009. Not working for me anymore. Now planning on doing revision and either Sleeve or Bypass. How did you make up your mind on which to have?? Plus my surgeon wants to take out the lapband before surgery to see If esophagus is good. Upper GI done 2 months after. Highest weight before lapband 309. Today 297. BMI 51. HBP, sleep apnea, sciatica, upper/lower back problems. Lost a lot in beginning then had back problems and slowly gained weight back. Just saw the psychologist today. Nutrition counselor is set for April 10. Worrying about if insurance will cover both surgeries. Removal and sleeve or Bypass.??? Won’t know until after lapband removal if they will cover the sleeve or Bypass. I joined all the support groups but just want to know how you decided with Bypass compared to Sleeve!!??

17 hours ago, AniracIre said:

I've seen a huge amount of variation on here of what's recommended by different programs in terms of food choices at the different stages. Your programs advice certainly looks sensible.

I'm curious though if you received advice only on calories and Protein - was there any information given on the broader macros such as grams of fat and grams of carbohydrate? I probably wouldn't even be that aware of these other than the fact that I am using My Fitness Pal to track my Protein, but it's giving me all of the other stuff on fat / carbs too.

I also use the Myfittnesspal app to count. I also have a very cool Bariatastic app I use.. but its american and not all the dutch products are on it.. so sometimes I have to do some guessing. But it keeps all the macros handy in a widget so you know your intake .. I do keep a diary also. Otherwise its so easy to go off track :)

We follow a no fat no sugar low carb diet. So only 50 grams of potatoes/rice/pasta per day- but also 2 slices of wholegrain bread per day- so its not that strict.. I have heard of stricter programs where people even count the calories and carbs in the Vitamin supplements haha yikes!

4 hours ago, istytehcrawk said:

So I talked to my surgeon today, and my only dietary specifications now are to keep working on meeting my liquid (48-64 oz)/protein (60-80 grams), keep my diet low sugar and relatively low fat, and work toward getting into the 1000-1200 calorie range per day (I have no idea what I'm at currently because I didn't have to monitor that in the first few stages). White bread/pasta/rice is not recommended but not flat-out restricted, but I've made a goal for myself to stick to 100% whole wheat and brown rice for as long as possible (and still not very often). I can introduce other foods whenever I please, and if they don't work, just put them aside for a few weeks and try them again later. I do not have specific carb/fat ranges to aim for.

After I got home, I went to the store and bought salad fixings (spinach, crinkle cut carrots, cubed ham, and fat free French dressing); fish sticks (I ate three for supper); and a box of that bacon you just have to microwave (it's a little high in fat if you eat a full serving of three slices, but I'll probably only be able to eat one at a time). I was so happy to have something CRUNCHY! I can't wait to make a piece of toast topped with a little bit of reconstituted PB2 and sugar free strawberry preserves tomorrow. (Don't know that I'll even be able to eat a whole slice, but that's okay.)

My recommended size for meals at this point is 4-6 ounces or 8-12 tablespoons, but I still can't even eat half a cup sometimes, depending on the food. Still working up to that.

Hello :) HAve you recently had your surgery? We are advised not to eat any raw greens and veg or salads the first three months..also no seeds..rice or stuff that could get stuck in your seatures.

Id also be very carefull with fatty foods like fish sticks and bacon.. you could react to the fat with a massive "dumping" hihi If you have Protein with EVERY meal.. it should be easy to hit the protein mark daily- like instead of pb and jam.. eat cheese or lean meat slices on your bread :) that way the protein adds up quickly- and you feel fuller for longer..also no tricking the brain into thinking its having sugar when its not.. even sugar free products can give you cravings for sugarry stuff.. our brains arent fooled haha

dont worry about the amounts of food you can eat with time.. it increases on its own..

good luck :D

9 hours ago, istytehcrawk said:

Keep in mind, you may need to verify your meal size with your doc or RD. Because when most people here 4-6oz, they start thinking weight--as in weighing on a scale.

But, the reference they gave you still alludes to a volumetric measurement.

1oz by VOLUME (measure) = 2tbsp = 1/8cup by VOLUME = 1/4oz by weight

4oz by VOLUME (measure) = 8tbsp = 1/2cup by VOLUME = 2oz by weight

6oz by VOLUME (measure) = 12tbsp = 3/4cup by VOLUME = 3oz by weight

Conversely, most Protein in it's pure/fluffy/cooked state, unweighted down by meat lube or other moisture additives like light or fat free mayo and dressings and sauces add up like this:

1oz protein by weight (then flaked, chopped fine, or pulled) = 2oz by VOLUME = 1/4c by VOLUME = 4tbsp

2oz protein by weight (then flaked, chopped fine, or pulled) = 4oz by VOLUME = 1/2c by VOLUME = 8tbsp

And then there's the whole "meat salad thing" like tuna salad, etc...

2oz tuna, salmon, canned chicken by weight (flaked, chopped, pulled) + 1tbsp low fat mayo/yogurt + 1/2tsp mustard + 1/2tsp dill relish = 1/4c by VOLUME = 4tbsp.

It will weigh more than 2oz by weight because of the addition of the Condiments. Fun and intriguing bs isn't it? :D

I’m five weeks out and specifically asked about salad, etc. yesterday, and my surgeon said I can try it whenever I want but it may not sit well right away.

Yes, all my measurements are by volume, not weight.

Oh, and the fish sticks definitely backfired. Dumped for the first time last night. It was not pleasant. I don’t ENTIRELY regret it though, because the crunch was A+ (not that I’ll repeat it for that reason).

Yeah they approved me for any food yesterday, starting to add back slowly -- like every 3rd day I can add a new food. I'm adding raw spinach today. So freaking excited!

You can make your own fish sticks:

Cut a filet into fingers (your favorite, but I like cod or pollock, or tilapia, or pangasius). Smear lightly with some low fat mayo (I use 1 tsp Hellmann's or Duke's regular, mixed with 1 tbsp of WF Chipotle Mayo). Rub it all over. Then toss with a mixture of:

Green can parmesan

Almond flour

Pork rinds (crushed to meal in the food processor)

Spices

Then spray with olive oil spray very lightly. Then bake at 450 until done--usually about 15-20 minutes. I turn one time. I also use non-stick aluminum foil so the crust doesn't come off.

I also use an empty parm can to shake the coating on. You want it VERY VERY lightly dusted so it adds a little crunch for the fewest calories. :)

Sorry you dumped! ((hugs))

Edited by FluffyChix

Hi everyone! Just an update on me. Went to see my surgeon yesterday. I've only loss 15lbs in 4wks :( But he said that would be a normal amount for me. I'm 4 1/2 wks post-op and haven't loss ANYTHING this week. During my third week I lost about a pound a day and I was hoping that I was just skipping the 3-week stall. Haha! Anyway, my surgeon just stressed how important it is to get my 64 oz of Water everyday and the 60g of Protein every day. He said I can progress my diet very carefully. Honestly, just getting the 64oz of water in every day makes me feel full all the time. But, I am striving to get at least 60g of protein. Overall, I'm doing good, I just wish those silly scales would start moving down again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

On 22-3-2018 at 2:35 PM, AniracIre said:

I'm curious though if you received advice only on calories and Protein - was there any information given on the broader macros such as grams of fat and grams of carbohydrate? I probably wouldn't even be that aware of these other than the fact that I am using My Fitness Pal to track my Protein, but it's giving me all of the other stuff on fat / carbs too.

no we dont have to count carbs or fat.. but i do see it on my fitness pal app and try to keep it sensible.. but with all the protein and dairy products it does add up. I use products with low or zero fat.. and sugar.. but still even veggies have carbs haha whats your macro's on a daily basis.. i will keep track of mine this week we can compare notes :D

Good morning everyone!!! It's time for Weigh-In Wednesday and Updates!!!!

Tell us how you're doing this week!!!

I'll start us out. I'm so thrilled cuz I had great progress this week! I feel like I'm building stamina again and the scale, "sheeeeee's a moving!" LOL!

5 Weeks + 1 Day Post Op

SW 222.4lbs (2.20.18 RNY)

CW 205.8lbs (-4.6lbs for the week | -16.6lbs since surgery morning)

GW 150lbs

Averaging about 450-500cals/day--eating mostly food for Protein. Having about 1/2 cup of food + about 6oz Protein Drink as needed to make 60g of Protein.

Things are going well and I am eating normal food now. I've had salad 3 days this week! LOL! I :780_sparkling_heart: it. I am even able to handle raw cabbage without issues! Woot!!!!