Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonated Beverages?

My program says never. If you must maybe something with minimal carbonation will be better (could use a soda stream or let a soda be mostly flat). Definitely not a great idea, far out it might stretch and be uncomfortable, closer to the surgery it might cause actual damage

OP, think of it this way: It’s 2018, and we know soda is bad for us, so grocery stores have shelves of flavoring you can add to Water that makes it into something delicious that isn’t soda. Once upon a time your choices would’ve been Crystal Light or Kool-Aid with no sugar! I recommend finding one you like.

I would say take a sip. Just my opinion. Just a sip. Because I think if you do you may see that you no longer have that taste for it and your craving might be gone? That's what happened to me. But I understand that everyone is different.

I drink carbonated beverages from time to time. Mostly carbonated Water but I've had some beer and a little champagne at special events.

My surgeon said to wait 6 months and the proceed with caution. He said it will not stretch out our stomach but it can cause discomfort and pretty serious gas. For me, if I sip slowly it does not effect me negatively but it's not something I drink regularly. I mostly stick to water and unsweetened iced tea.

I'm 15 months out and I have not had any carbonation at all since July of 2016. That's a year and a half ago. The only time I miss it is when we are standing in the gas station and my family has all grabbed their sodas and I am standing at the case trying to find something I really want and not just something I'm settling for. If I'm at home or in a restaurant, it's unsweetened tea. If I am in the convenience store...I try to look for Vitamin Water Zero or Bai ( Panama Peach and Costa Rica Clementine) is a fav! You'll eventually make your own decisions about carbonation and you'll determine whether or not it is something you can tolerate.
Personally, I LOVED diet soda pre-op and the sodium in carbonated drinks went a long way in keeping me bloated and heavy. I'd rather not know if I can tolerate it and continue to live my life without it.

Same here exactly

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree with all prior comments..I've lost 125 lbs since July 13, 2016. I drink nothing carbonated. I did try a sip at Christmas. It hurt and made me feel weird. Do crystal light. Forget soda if you can.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

I drink carbonated beverages from time to time. Mostly carbonated Water but I've had some beer and a little champagne at special events.
My surgeon said to wait 6 months and the proceed with caution. He said it will not stretch out our stomach but it can cause discomfort and pretty serious gas. For me, if I sip slowly it does not effect me negatively but it's not something I drink regularly. I mostly stick to water and unsweetened iced tea.

I'm the same way. Beer fills me up quickly, but if I go slowly I can enjoy one.

lol I guess I'm on the opposite end of everyone in this discussion. I've been addicted to soda since before surgery and still drink it here and there. It's THE WORST habit and I need to break it because it is hindering my weight loss and my healthy lifestyle. However, I drink it and experience no problems. However I can't even finish half a can anymore because it's a lot

It's that time of month when this topic come up again. Hold on let me get my pop corn :P

That being said. Yes I drink it. Maybe 1 or 2 cans a week. I do not drink it straight from the can. I always pour over ice. Yes I also enjoy the occasional beer. Again I drink it from a glass (which is the proper way anyways).

I'm not going to get into the Dr. discussion. I have talked to him about it.

Same here. I used to drink at least one diet coke a day. Now I can't touch the stuff. I don't really miss it though.

I drink one or two diet cokes per week. My surgeon does not believe it stretches the pouch and I have researched it - it looks like many are divided on this subject so it’s best to talk to your medical team.

I go slowly, and if I get gas I just burp it out. I did not try it until about 3 months out.

I reintegrated Diet Coke into my diet after a year. I'm glad I waited that long!! It's impossible to eat and drink carbonation without the food being pushed back up my esophagus. But DAMN do I love that cold chemical in my mouth and stomach! lol! Had to get a handle on my eating and triggers first though. A year was just enough. Now when I have a D Coke I don't crave salty or sweet, it's not a trigger to eat other foods. But I can't say that would be true if I had tried 6 months post surgery.

My nutritionist had me give up carbonated beverages pre op. I haven't had any carbonated beverages since then. I don't miss them and I don't want to experiment to see if it will give me pain if I drink it.

I still sip Coke but very little of it. I waited until I was four months post-op, however.

Edited by Strivingforbetter