Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder removed during surgery

Ok soooo I’m having my gallbladder taken out the same time I’m sleeved. My story to anyone that ask is I’m having gallbladder surgery We have so many nosy family member trying to figure out if I need to have someone constantly in the hospital with me. Can my husband leave after I’m situated after surgery and then pick me up the next day I know that sounds weird but the longer he’s not with me the better it will be. Otherwise people will want to visit me at the hospital

Has anyone had gallbladder removed separator before sleeves. If so. How long were you in hospital and what was similar or different from hospital stay & recovery

Thanks

I didn't have my gallbladder out during my sleeve surgery but I suggest you have him there until you make it to your room and are on pain meds. You want an advocate in case of anything. Very important because you may not be able to make decisions while in pain. Then keep in touch through calls.

I had my porcelain gallbladder removed, a hernia repaired and the sleeve surgery. I went into the hospital on a Tuesday and was release on a Thursday afternoon. My roommate left after the surgery and I was in my private room. He came back the next day to check on how I was doing as he thought I would be coming home on Wednesday according to the Dr. However the nurses saw I was not doing well and told the Dr I needed another day to get my pain under control and for them to get me up out of bed. Thursday morning I called my roommate as I was ready to get out of the hospital. He thought I would go right to my bed but I sat in my recliner for many hours watching Tv and drinking my first Protein Shake. Four weeks later I was back to work. I took an extra week as I wanted to be able to eat food when I started and not be on just liquids. I had a lot of shoulder gas pains but had no incision pains or complications.

I had my gallbladder removed during surgery and I had people visit (against my wishes) and I feel like I would have been just fine myself

Edited by Frikinanni

Other than my roommate who didn't stay very long on Wednesday I had no visitors and was glad I didn't. I needed the time to sleep and recover in the hospital. I got home on a Thursday and believe it was Monday when I had my first visitor who only stayed like 10 minutes. During the 4 weeks I was off work and healing a few more ladies from my community came around to see how I was doing.

When I had my first PS in June more people came and brought my roommate and I Protein meals we were able to eat. The PS took 6 weeks to heal so I was very happy to have company.

Had my gall bladder taken out last year and I was surprised that it and my sleeve surgery (this year) were so similar- 2 days in the hospital, minimal pain and laparoscopic entry points in exactly the same spots so just tell all to stay away so you can have your gall bladder removed and recover some in peace!!

I don't get why people insist on coming to the hospital. I only had my wife come and she was only there off and on once I got situated. It was good to be able to sleep and otherwise risk. Plus people were in and out and if you aren't sharing what you're doing there fully they very easily could overhear something.

On 1/14/2018 at 5:33 PM, Gotalose said:

Ok soooo I’m having my gallbladder taken out the same time I’m sleeved. My story to anyone that ask is I’m having gallbladder surgery We have so many nosy family member trying to figure out if I need to have someone constantly in the hospital with me. Can my husband leave after I’m situated after surgery and then pick me up the next day I know that sounds weird but the longer he’s not with me the better it will be. Otherwise people will want to visit me at the hospital

Has anyone had gallbladder removed separator before sleeves. If so. How long were you in hospital and what was similar or different from hospital stay & recovery

Thanks

I did have my gall bladder out. It doesn't require an overnight stay. Not around here anyway. Recovery is similar. I had a lapband in 2010 and the recovery was similar maybe a little easier than the lapband.

Had my gallbladder removed outpatient laproscopically over 10 years ago. Went in at 7AM, had surgery, was back home on the couch eating a Subway sandwich at 1PM.

Didn't have gallbladder out at time of sleeve.

14 months post sleeve surgery and had to have the good ol gallbladder out almost 4 weeks ago. Gallbladder surgery was at 8:30 am and I was given a sugar free pudding and something to drink by 10:15 am same morning and then they sent me home before 11:00 am. WOW!

Sleeve surgery I was in for surgery in the morning, kept overnight and then on my way home by noon the day after surgery. Easy peasy.

I agree, good idea for your husband to get you up to your room after surgery and stay with you for a bit until you get the pain under control.

My husband held on to cellphone and I didn't take any calls. He handled all that. Only people that came up to see me were my parents who are in their 70's, I was fine with them coming. They didn't stay long at all. If you don't want visitors, don't answer cell calls and when the hospital asks you if you will allow them to give your room # out to visitors, tell them "no".

Do yourself a favor and take the time to rest.

I did not have my gallbladder removed. My parents came to visit, but I was still on pain meds and have no idea how long they were actually there (my wife says one hour, I would’ve guessed 10 minutes). My wife didn’t stay overnight, I thought it would’ve been stupid for her to try to sleep in a recliner while staff were coming in all night to check vitals and my glucose and give me insulin shots and pain meds and nebulizer treatments and blah blah blah, but I don’t think she liked being home alone, either. No one else knew I was having the surgery.

I'm having my gallbladder out on 2/16, it's outpatient so I will go home the same day of the surgery. My VSG I was in the hospital 3 days/2 nights. My husband did not stay the night as we have 2 small children but he was with me all day and I hated when he left. I needed him there for support especially when I was getting up to the bathroom once the catheter was out and during my leak test