Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spring 2018 Sleevers??? Looking for support, surgery buddies, advice, etc.! Lol.

Hey. I've scheduled my surgery for May 14th. Im from Canada and the wait to even get on the wait list is too hard so I've decided to go to Mexico to a centre that a old friend of mine had gone to. I don't have insurance that covers the cost but hoping to get seomthing back from our provincial coverage like I've seen someone else get. Now since I don't have to go through insurance I don to have all th same appointments that you guys do but my doctor is completely on board with me getting this surgery and has set up a plan with me to make sure we keep on top of my levels to lessen the risk of malnutrition. I'd love to have contact with people who are on the same time line as me.
I have worries like everyone else and some of the research also has started making me second guess my decision to get it done, but I want to th success that others have had to make my life healthier and better.

Welcome! And congratulations on starting the journey. I do have a tedious process to go through, so I spend a lot of time reading, researching, and watching YouTube videos. I won’t say that I’ve second guessed my decision to the point of considering not having surgery, but I have questioned myself on whether or not this is really for me....And it is. I wouldn’t be a good candidate for surgery if it wasn’t...I hate the 6 month wait(I’m on month 3 of the 6 now), but the time has allowed me to do ALOT of research, and my surgeon’s office has support groups every month, which also helps ALOT. One thing I’ve learned is that everyone has a different experience. I like listening to other people’s story, but I understand not to expect my experience to be just like anyone else’s. Stay motivated, don’t psych yourself out of making what could be one of the most life changing and best decisions of your life. Good Luck!!!

Greetings,
I am beginning the process for VSG. I plan to have surgery at the end of June after school lets out for the summer (I am a teacher). I am 28 years old.

MY STATS:

Height: 5”5

CW: 315(give or take)

HW: 320

GW: 170

BMI: 52

Awesomeness! And welcome to the group! How is your process going so far?

Yea, I have a steep payment on my part too. My endoscope was $400. The surgery will cost me 15% and I'm told it will cost between 15,000 and 20,000. So I'm trying to save up.

Sent from my SM-G920T using BariatricPal mobile app

My goodness that’s a lot. I see why some people choose to go to Mexico instead geez lol.

I am in my 6 month waiting period & nutrition Consulting stage that is required by my insurance right now, hopefully I'll be having my surgery around June or July I can't wait I already had my psych eval. I'm just excited about starting a new phase in my life.

I am in my 6 month waiting period & nutrition Consulting stage that is required by my insurance right now, hopefully I'll be having my surgery around June or July I can't wait I already had my psych eval. I'm just excited about starting a new phase in my life.

Welcome.! And congratulations on beginning your journey! The 6 month wait is so annoying.lol. But I’m convinced that a lot of us need it to kind of process this change that is about to happen in our lives...and the wait does go by pretty steady, I won’t say fast lol, but steady. Everyone has had their psych eval, but me.lol. I’ve gotten most of my stuff done though. I just have the sleep study, psych eval, and cardiac clearance left..then it will turn into the waiting game...I’m excited too. My last appointment will likely be April 2nd and I’m really hoping to get a late April date rather than May..How did the psych eval go for you?

The psych evaluation was pretty quick she only talked to me for about 45 minutes and then she gave me a clearance. I am scheduled for my sleep study next month on the 26th. With the psych evaluation they just want to make sure that you're not going to turn to be anorexic or bulimic

Mrs Rob

The psych evaluation was pretty quick she only talked to me for about 45 minutes and then she gave me a clearance. I am scheduled for my sleep study next month on the 26th. With the psych evaluation they just want to make sure that you're not going to turn to be anorexic or bulimic

Mrs Rob

I hear people say it’s long and they have to take this depressingly long test of over 300 questions...I’m just ready to get all of my stuff done.lol. I have my sleep study this coming Thursday. I really hope I don’t have sleep apnea, but I’m not sure...feel like I may, hopefully not severe enough to have to use the machine.

I understand and I've heard that the psych evaluation for some people are long but I'm glad mine's wasn't but 45 minutes, and she just talk to me and ask me questions that was it. I'm kind of hoping that I do have sleep apnea because if I do my insurance will automatically approve my surgery, but if I don't then they just going to base it on my BMI which is 41 without any comorbidities. I just want this whole process to be over with and my surgery to come quick lol

Mrs Rob

I hear people say it’s long and they have to take this depressingly long test of over 300 questions...I’m just ready to get all of my stuff done.lol. I have my sleep study this coming Thursday. I really hope I don’t have sleep apnea, but I’m not sure...feel like I may, hopefully not severe enough to have to use the machine.

Definitely had a ton of questions. And they were self reflecting which really made me feel worse about myself. I stress eat and never really thought about it. I have been more thoughtful of what I am eating and why. So in the long run, I'm greatful that I saw the psychiatrist. I am still depressed, but it has changed my mindset.

Well that's good that you recognize that. I too am a stressful eater and and the process of trying to re-configure my mind and instead of eating when I'm stressed do other things more counterproductive like walk. I know that this is a life-changing situation and I welcome it. I think I'd be happier and a lot less anxious once I get that approval letter from my insurance company.

Mrs Rob

Hi Jazz, I've just started my journey in December. My insurance requires I see a psychiatrist, a internist, a dietitian, blood work. I'm busy scheduling these required appointments and I am unsure when my surgery will be as I am not yet approved

Sent from my SM-G930F using BariatricPal mobile app

I understand and I've heard that the psych evaluation for some people are long but I'm glad mine's wasn't but 45 minutes, and she just talk to me and ask me questions that was it. I'm kind of hoping that I do have sleep apnea because if I do my insurance will automatically approve my surgery, but if I don't then they just going to base it on my BMI which is 41 without any comorbidities. I just want this whole process to be over with and my surgery to come quick lol

Mrs Rob

I realized at my last appointment with my PCP that they are using Hypertension as a co-morbidity for me. My BMI bounces back and forth between 38 and 40, but I’m not on any meds for the BP...I’m actually considered pre-hypertensive, but my PCP wrote that I have hypertension on my paperwork that he has to fill out at each appointment, before I realized that I was hoping that I had sleep apnea too, I just don’t want to have to use the machine. I’m ready to get approval and get the surgery too, it feels like forever.lol. I’m just trying to stay positive and be patient.

Definitely had a ton of questions. And they were self reflecting which really made me feel worse about myself. I stress eat and never really thought about it. I have been more thoughtful of what I am eating and why. So in the long run, I'm greatful that I saw the psychiatrist. I am still depressed, but it has changed my mindset.

That’s awesome, nothing like a good look in the mirror to help us change ourselves..I’ve started to realize some things about myself too, that’s why I’m having this surgery..keep your head up girl.! It takes so much strength to acknowledge that you have a problem, but it takes even more strength to fix it. You’re going to come out of this an absolutely incredible woman!

On 12/26/2017 at 6:27 PM, WLS4ME33 said:

Hi everyone! I am a “newbie” here, and I’m also new to the *Wonderful World of Weight-loss Surgery*. I started my process in November, my insurance requires a consecutive 6 month physician supervised diet,my appointment next week will make month 3 for me(halfway mark yay!!). This is my first time making a post, I mostly get on here to just read research, but I noticed that everyone is either post-op, or already on the liquid diet, so I’m looking for people to connect with that are currently still going through the process before approval like me...a little about myself: My name is Jaz I am 25yrs old.

MY STATS:

Height: 5”6

CW: 243(give or take)

HW: 250

GW: 140

BMI:39

I just had my consult last friday (1/12/18) and will be having my first class tomorrow. Im required to do 3 months of supervised diet, a Psych visit, a NUT visit and the surgery consult. During the 3 months i have to complete 4 classes a month. Once that is done they will submit for pre-approval and then a 1 month surgery pre-op diet and 2 weeks before surgery i get a scoping procedure done.

Im still undecided if i am going for sleeve or bypass yet, i will see as i go through my classes and have my appointments.

I just had my consult last friday (1/12/18) and will be having my first class tomorrow. Im required to do 3 months of supervised diet, a Psych visit, a NUT visit and the surgery consult. During the 3 months i have to complete 4 classes a month. Once that is done they will submit for pre-approval and then a 1 month surgery pre-op diet and 2 weeks before surgery i get a scoping procedure done.
Im still undecided if i am going for sleeve or bypass yet, i will see as i go through my classes and have my appointments.

Welcome! And congratulations on starting your journey. I wish I had classes to complete, maybe that would make the process go a little faster lol. It kind of just feels like a waiting game already, especially since I’m already just about done with my requirements. I only have sleep Study, psych eval, and cardiac clearance left, both psych eval and sleep study are this month, and I have to wait until April 3 to get the cardiac clearance because it’s only good for one month...my last appointment of the 6 will be April 2..so I basically won’t be doing anything but waiting during February and March.lol.