Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone not need plastic surgery?

I think age, starting weight, length of time at highest weight and genetics determine the amount of loose skin. You may have it or you may not....luck of the genetic lottery. Exercise and building muscle will help provide tone and definition but there is nothing you can do to prevent skin issues.

I'm halfway to goal and no issues yet. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best.

Edited by Lannie

I am wondering how many people need plastic surgery after the gastric sleeve. I am 5’6 and weigh 235, and I am starting the process for gastric sleeve. I am realistic that a little skin sag may be a possibility, but I am worried about drastic skin sag and my insurance not covering any needed surgery.
I am 37 years old and my goal weight is 140-150, so I would be looking at around 80 pounds. I’ve lost weight before and never had the loose skin, but I am older now and the weight loss would be much faster. I am also a teacher so plastic surgery will never but in my budget, lol.
Has anyone lost a lot of weight and not needed surgery afterwards for skin?

I’m a year out this week and have some loose skin in my arms and boobs and thighs. I hate my arms, it’s always sagged and flapped. But now it’s worse. I’d like to get surgery for skin removal but don’t know how I’d pay for it.

I’m happy with my surgery but not confident with how things look sometimes. I want to look great naked again!

I’ve lost over 50 pounds and yes, I would like a Tummy Tuck and breast reduction/lift, but mainly that’s for my own vanity. I’m just happy to be so ,icy smaller than before and it’s like I will be entering the Hawaiian Tropic bikini contest, so 🤷🏻‍♀️ meh, for now the loose skin is ok with me. :)

I think age has a ton to do with it. At least for me. When I was 30 I went on SBD and lost 110 lbs. I had a little sag, but not much, except my boob area. But they are the first thing to go!
This time I started I did weigh 40 lbs more than when I started SBD. I started 2 years ago, so around age 42. Start was 350. The day of surgery I was 260. (10/17/17) at that point I already had alot of belly sag. Especially in the summer with sweating. I will definitely need skin surgery and it will be medically necessary. I do exercise, but I dont “target” exercise like I should. My boobs this time were a 44J and now down to 40i, but most is skin, not actual boob!
I think it depends on your skin also. I am a pale white girl, and my skin seems “thin” and doesn’t seem resilient enough. If it is not medically necessary, I will look into tummy control bottoms because my waist down (beside my chicken wing arms) is the biggest issue!

SW 350 (11/15)
BSW 260 (10/17/17)
CW 228 (12/29/17)
RGW 199
GW 175

I am 53 and have lost 45kgs so far. My 52L cup bra size is down to 46k. So I am rolling them up and stuffing them into the bra at this point. I will definitely need a breast reduction and lift since they are dangling around my hips and as for nipples, I haven't seen them in a long time lol. bring it on I say. I really am not bothered by the stomach but would like my batwing arms done when I get down to goal, but have a long way to go yet. I think age plays a big part in it, my thighs are round my knees already so I expect that is going to definitely need to be done. Will have to start saving now for it. But still need to lose another 55kgs.

Something I have notices is I have a rather large thyroidectomy scar on my throat and as I lose weight the skin seems to be bulging above it, giving my neck a rather lumpy look. Anyone else have a similar problem with previous scars?

How about turkey neck?? Anyone have any luck with their neck tightening back up? I still have about 80 pounds to go, but after 65 pounds my neck looks a hot mess! lol

I’m 43 and my neck is definitely a turkey neck . I’m down 67 pounds from 9/21/17 sleeve date . Flappy arms and all. I had my sleeve in Mexico . Def want a mommy makeover.

I’m 43 and my neck is definitely a turkey neck . I’m down 67 pounds from 9/21/17 sleeve date . Flappy arms and all. I had my sleeve in Mexico . Def want a mommy makeover.

I had my sleeve on the 9/22/17 and am down 65 pounds. Already off all medications! Just turned 44, so maybe we will be lucky and that neck skin will bounce back!

Fingers crossed 🤞

On 12/14/2017 at 7:34 PM, TexasMommy80 said:

I am wondering how many people need plastic surgery after the gastric sleeve. I am 5’6 and weigh 235, and I am starting the process for gastric sleeve. I am realistic that a little skin sag may be a possibility, but I am worried about drastic skin sag and my insurance not covering any needed surgery.

I am 37 years old and my goal weight is 140-150, so I would be looking at around 80 pounds. I’ve lost weight before and never had the loose skin, but I am older now and the weight loss would be much faster. I am also a teacher so plastic surgery will never but in my budget, lol.

Has anyone lost a lot of weight and not needed surgery afterwards for skin?

I admit when Alex posted about plastics at bariatricpal MX hospital starting at 2400. after three years, I am starting to think about having some work done.

https://bariatricpalhospitalmx.com/plastic-surgeries/

It's not a need for me. I'm more than happy with my results. I can live without plastics. A good bra and Shapewear hides it well. (see photo) I lift and I'm active. THe muscle fills out the skin but it is still there.

I hold my loose skin on midsection, boobs, arms, back, pubic area inner thighs at the top, and my butt. It looks much different in clothing.

Plastics would be for vanity, comfort and fitting in clothing, Distance running without the bounce, and letting go of the depressed and struggling person I was in the past.

b83bc0edeacf7700f9d13cd41a945678cdad.jpg

I admit when Alex posted about plastics at BariatricPal MX hospital starting at 2400. after three years, I am starting to think about having some work done.
https://bariatricpalhospitalmx.com/plastic-surgeries/
It's not a need for me. I'm more than happy with my results. I can live without plastics. A good bra and Shapewear hides it well. (see photo) I lift and I'm active. THe muscle fills out the skin but it is still there.
I hold my loose skin on midsection, boobs, arms, back, pubic area inner thighs at the top, and my butt. It looks much different in clothing.
Plastics would be for vanity, comfort and fitting in clothing, Distance running without the bounce, and letting go of the depressed and struggling person I was in the past.

b83bc0edeacf7700f9d13cd41a945678cdad.jpg.6fd1217f4a608c61e4a91887d12b1a7f.jpg

Well you look fabulous!!

I had two scars on my face that were not as noticeable when I was bigger but are very present now. I didn’t get any surgery for skin removal after my weight loss but I am looking in to having these scars looked in to in near future.

Jenn, you’re an inspiration! You look incredible!!!

I definitely need plastics, and have every intention of getting it done. It's not about vanity, it's really about comfort. I have skin everywhere and I deal with infections, skin breakdown, etc. I don't want to use shape wear because it makes me sweat, making the skin problems worse.

I'm 4 years out from VSG and have persistent GERD so I'm actually looking at a RNY revision first, then once I get to final goal I'll look into plastics. Definitely breast reduction and Tummy Tuck, everything else I'm ok with.

Need or Want - If this journey should have taught us anything its the difference between Need and Want.

Those at the highest starting weight may indeed Need some surgery after massive weight loss.

The rest of us my feel we Want to have plastic surgery maybe to finish what we see as a transformation.

Tell the world nothing or tell them anything but always tell yourself the truth.