Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buddies Group - Surgery Dec 4 to 15, 2017

10 hours ago, Aran1030 said:

I was also sleeved 12/19. Had a hard time the first 2 days. With gas. Walking really helped. Still having issues with BM. Maybe it’s normal but I’ve only had 4 BM since my surgery . Don’t feel sick or bloated . When I had my surgery I was not aware I had a hiatal hernia. My surgeon repaired it since he was already there. I’ve had a little difficulty swallowing not sure if it’s the hernia repair or the sleeve. Most days I get my liquids in others I’m short some ounces. It’s so hard to get it all in. I have to keep reminding myself. Anyone having trouble with the hernia repairs ? Notice more tightness when they swallow . Or feeling of Water just getting stuck ?
Congrats to everyone in the new journey.

hw: 246 sw: 235 cw: 217 gw: ?
Sleeved :Dec 19, 2017

I read a lot about Constipation prior to my surgery. While in the hospital they gave me sugar free Jello, which I know has Sugar Alcohol which side effects is a laxative. So I ate one at every meal. It worked when I got home. I've had some form of diarrhea since being home every day. About the gas, oh my, it's horrible and at times very painful. I think I'd rather have a loose bm than constipation that I've read hurts really bad. I just try to keep up with my liquid requirements so that might help you. Also adding Benefiber to my Protein Shake helped. Today is one month since my surgery and I've lost 18 post op. Got really sick for the last 2+ weeks and I stopped losing even though I didn't eat much. I was dehydrated that entire time and still get my liquids but it's on the lower requirements. Now I'm losing again.

As for your hiatal hernia, as much as you didn't know you had one prior to surgery, it won't give you any pain afterwards either. I had one 6 yrs ago and it was repaired when I had lap band surgery. Never felt a thing and my doctor said I wouldn't. With this sleeve surgery he said he did a few stitches with the hernia to help support it (I had a blockage last year which they think stretched it). Be sure to eat and drink slow or else you can backed up or the stomach get full too fast and hurt. I've only had a few times where I can feel it wanting to come up but I slowed down, stood up and it went down. I haven't yet get anything backed up to my throat or throwing up. I have a bad habit of eating too fast so there's been times I have and my new sleeve really hurts and I have to deal with it. Now I've backed off eating some things, went back to softer foods and stopped eating before I feel I'm full. That's helped. I don't think swallowing has to do with the hernia but maybe go back on shakes only and see if that helps.

I read a lot about Constipation prior to my surgery. While in the hospital they gave me sugar free Jello, which I know has Sugar Alcohol which side effects is a laxative. So I ate one at every meal. It worked when I got home. I've had some form of diarrhea since being home every day. About the gas, oh my, it's horrible and at times very painful. I think I'd rather have a loose bm than constipation that I've read hurts really bad. I just try to keep up with my liquid requirements so that might help you. Also adding Benefiber to my Protein Shake helped. Today is one month since my surgery and I've lost 18 post op. Got really sick for the last 2+ weeks and I stopped losing even though I didn't eat much. I was dehydrated that entire time and still get my liquids but it's on the lower requirements. Now I'm losing again.
As for your hiatal hernia, as much as you didn't know you had one prior to surgery, it won't give you any pain afterwards either. I had one 6 yrs ago and it was repaired when I had lap band surgery. Never felt a thing and my doctor said I wouldn't. With this sleeve surgery he said he did a few stitches with the hernia to help support it (I had a blockage last year which they think stretched it). Be sure to eat and drink slow or else you can backed up or the stomach get full too fast and hurt. I've only had a few times where I can feel it wanting to come up but I slowed down, stood up and it went down. I haven't yet get anything backed up to my throat or throwing up. I have a bad habit of eating too fast so there's been times I have and my new sleeve really hurts and I have to deal with it. Now I've backed off eating some things, went back to softer foods and stopped eating before I feel I'm full. That's helped. I don't think swallowing has to do with the hernia but maybe go back on shakes only and see if that helps.

Thanks for the input Mary! I have to play closer attention to how fast I’m drinking Water or my Protein . It’s probably exactly that. Just worried it could be GERD. I sip water all day but maybe I’m over doing it. Guess I’m just trying to hard to get all my water in.
Glad you are doing better and back on track !

hw: 246 sw: 235 cw: 217 gw: ?
Sleeved :Dec 19, 2017

This is so informative. I can relate. Thank you. Mary and Aran1030.

i am struggling with getting Protein and water.. and gas.. slight burping .. hernia seems ok .. just being cautious not To I’ve over do it afraid to rupture hernia repair 7 days post op. Husband wants attention been taking care of me. 12 pounds since surgery.. going slow ..I guess that’s ok. Anyone try Amino23 to amp up protein? 4 tablespoons 23 grams protein

Aran1030

i don’t notice anything with the hernia repair.. stomach seems a little sore. I can’t tell when I am full. Not going over 4 oz yogurt Protein Drink Soup etc

Edited by SKF

22 hours ago, UndercoverDiet said:

Sleeved on 12/19. I get dizzy every time I stand up. Also I get SUPER tired every time I eat. Anyone else experience this?

I get very dizzy sometimes when standing up quickly, especially if I'm doing it a bunch. As posted it is probably low blood pressure, mine was normal pre-surgery, but has been dropping to the low end of normal at the DR's. Drinking electrolytes does seem to make it less frequent for some reason (or maybe its just staying hydrated).

Tiredness has been weird for me. I've been able to do a lot of physical activity that would have been hard or painful before and I feel like I can do it better / getting less tired doing it (mostly because there's 30 lbs less I'm lugging around). On the flip side I do generally feel very tired and would love to sleep all day... so I feel tired, but have more stamina if that makes sense.

Hi there! I'm a newbie. My surgery was December 13th. Just found these forums. :)

Curious as to how much weight people have lost at the 1 month mark as we get into January? I'm 24 days since surgery so I have 6 more days to go but I've only lost 11 lbs with the bulk of it right at the beginning. Feeling like I'm losing slower. Where are you all at?

I'm 23 days out and I've lost 24 pounds since surgery day. There is a "3 Week Stall" they spoke of at my dr's office and then another drop after that. I'd just encourage you to keep with it. :)

9 minutes ago, KGM said:

I'm 23 days out and I've lost 24 pounds since surgery day. There is a "3 Week Stall" they spoke of at my dr's office and then another drop after that. I'd just encourage you to keep with it. :)

Wow thats amazing, you're doing great!

Wow thats amazing, you're doing great!

So honestly I think i am the one and only here... please tell me if anyone had something similar. I lost 17 pounds PRE op 10 days... I had major Water swelling in limbs after surgery so I think that’s why when I got home from surgery I literally had gained 20 pounds!! No joke! I was mortified!!! I am now 10 days out post op and i am finally down the weight I was when I went into surgery.... hello are you kidding me??? Frustrating!!!! Anyone!!?? Anyone??!! Lol

2 hours ago, Losebig said:

I get very dizzy sometimes when standing up quickly, especially if I'm doing it a bunch. As posted it is probably low blood pressure, mine was normal pre-surgery, but has been dropping to the low end of normal at the DR's. Drinking electrolytes does seem to make it less frequent for some reason (or maybe its just staying hydrated).

Tiredness has been weird for me. I've been able to do a lot of physical activity that would have been hard or painful before and I feel like I can do it better / getting less tired doing it (mostly because there's 30 lbs less I'm lugging around). On the flip side I do generally feel very tired and would love to sleep all day... so I feel tired, but have more stamina if that makes sense.

I also get very dizzy if I stand up quickly, and especially if I’ve been laying down with my feet elevated above my head. I had my first post-op appt today and my blood pressure was 108/56. I’m seeing my primary on Wednesday and I’m assuming my BP meds will be adjusted then.

2 hours ago, MamaDarlin said:

Curious as to how much weight people have lost at the 1 month mark as we get into January? I'm 24 days since surgery so I have 6 more days to go but I've only lost 11 lbs with the bulk of it right at the beginning. Feeling like I'm losing slower. Where are you all at?

Sleeved on 12/20, down about 25 lbs since surgery.

Hi! Am a bit late to the party - but was sleeved on 12/7, in Edinburgh, Scotland.

I am just moving from purée diet to ‘things I can flake with my fork’, so cue lots of fish over the next week.

I lost 12lbs on the pre-op diet and am a further 16lbs since surgery, but weight loss has really slowed in the last week.

Hi! I too feel like I'm losing slowly. I've only lost 14# since my surgery.

HW 273
SW 247
CW 233
Sleeved 12/15/17

I had bypass on 12-6 and am 18 lbs down. I also had gall bladder removed and hernia repaired so i still have wound vac due to complication and so not so worried about weight loss yet. Just want to eat now after liquid phase. Having challenges getting enough Water. Any tips?

HW. 263
SW. 208
CW. 190

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using BariatricPal mobile app