Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Central Iowa Bandsters?

I am planning surgery with IA Health's program...Dr. Eibes...just starting the process. They have a fairly new program...just wondering if there was anyone out there that has had a Lap Band by Dr. Eibes. Doesn't seem like there are a lot of central IA "groupies" on the site yet.

Michelle

Where is Dr. Eibes located? Just curious. I am from Eastern Iowa. There is getting to be a good sized group of us who were banded by Dr. Glascock in Cedar Falls. He is excellent. You may want to look into his program. Very successful and lots of experience. Hope you find some buddies near ya!

I live in Iowa City and was banded in Grinnell, so I'm probably not much help. I'm not sure where you live but Grinnell is fairly "central." It's about one hour east of Des Moines.

Here is the website of the group I used:

Grinnell Regional Medical Center

These guys are great and have been doing GB for years. Sundberg especially has been around the block repeatedly (though he's not my surgeon). Their focus is changing to lap band. They predict that a majority of their patients will go from GB to lap band within this coming year.

Good luck and PM me if I can give you any other info!

Dr. Eibes is in Des Moines and operates at Iowa Methodist. He actually used to practice in Grinnell. Seems like a very comprehensive program. I am a bit frustrated to have to wait 6 more months for the medically supervised diet.....as if we all haven't been on a "lifetime diet". Oh well....One big question I have is How are people doing 5+ or more years down the road with lap banding. It seems that there isn't a lot of research out there. I don't want a fix for the moment....I want this to be an adjunct to help me for a very long time. Anybody with any other info?

I had my band put in on August 6th and Dr. Eibes was my surgeon.

He and his team are wonderful!

They just expanded their group and added another surgeon plus others as well. I would highly reccomend him. He put all of my fears at ease and his stats on surgery success are fantastic. PLUS- he understands and doesn't lecture....thank goodness!

:kiss2:

Julie

I plan on using Dr. Eibes as well. As another reply indicates, Dr Eibes used to be with the Grinnell group but came to Des Moines to start a program in Central Iowa. I am currently on month 8 of my dr. supervised diet (insurance requirement) I hope to have the lap band surgery in May, as long as eveything works out! I'm super excited!

I was banded on 2-13-08, by Dr. Teresa Lamasters, the new surgeon that was brought into Dr. Eibes' group. Would enjoy talking to others here in central Iowa as to how they are doing and what they find helpful. I have been to one of the bariatric support meetings that are held the first Saturday of every month, and really found if helpful and look forward to going to the one in March. This is a good place to meet and speak to others who have either had lap band surgery or have had the gastric by-pass. BTW, I too, was told that I needed to do the 6 month diet thing by my insurance, but my doc has the forsite to start documenting when I first went in to talk to her and then we sent copies of all my visits with her in the past 5 years. Needless to say, in January when they wanted more proof that I had been dieting(as one of you said, like we haven't been doing it all of our lives)my doc said what more could they possibly need? I called my insurance company and talked to the nurse who was in charge of my case and told her what my doc said and asked her to look through all my papers that were sent. Two days later I was approved! If I knew this woman's last name, I would have sent her flowers!!!

Hi all, I was banded by Dr. Eibes on February 25. Everything went great!!! I couldn't believe how easily my surgery was approved!! My husband has really good insurance. I have nothing but great things to say about their staff, program and everything. Haven't had my first fill yet, but I am losing and feeling great!!! I have lost about 13 pounds since surgery. It is amazing what a difference just 13 pounds makes. My husband and I went out to eat tonight...that was a moment...I was having a hard time having to just eat off of his plate...I had some grilled salmon and the tops off of some steamed broccoli. All is well...got my tea in a to go cup. I was just mad that I couldn't order my own...but I sure didn't need a whole entire meal that's for sure!!!!

Good luck to everyone planning surgery!!!!

This is my first post. I am looking for Des Moines banders also. I had my surgery on 3/11/08 by Dr. Eibes. One week out! I am excited about next months support group because we are going to break into small groups. I enjoy the monthly meetings but wish there was more of the small groups. I am currently looking into setting up a weekly or every other week support group meeting for banders in DSM. If anyone is interested let me know. I usually throw on my bright pink corduroy jacket so look me up at the next meeting and say Hi!

Hello- I live in SE iowa and was banded by Dr Eibes in Sept 07. I have lost 31 lbs. I need to go back and have another fill, as I am able to eat bread again without difficulty. I was hoping this process would have been a little faster than it has been.(I guess its what you make of it though) :redface:I really need to get out and exercise. :bored:Anyone banded last year?

Hi Central IA Bandsters! So, I was banded on 3/11/8. I had my first fill 6 weeks later on 4/22. They put 4cc in my 14cc band. They couldn't get it with the short needle but tried a longer one and it worked. I felt no restriction at all. After a week I called back. At first they said I should wait a month then they said two weeks so I made another apt. On 5/6 they put in 1cc bringing me to 5cc total. I asked when I would have the most restriction and they said about 24hrs after the fill. I did liquids the rest of the day and pureed/mushies the next. On the next day I went to regular foods and have felt no restriction. I am so discouraged! I called after a week of trying several different kinds of food including bread, chicken, steak, solid Proteins, but they told me I need to wait four weeks from my last fill! If I am not having any restriction now, why wait three more weeks? What a waste of time. I am keeping a food log, eating solids not liquids, walking, and still nothing. In fact I gained a pound between my two fills. I just want to cry at this point. I go in tomorrow to talk to Dr. Eibes. I don't know how that's going to go but it's worth a visit. Anyone out there been banded in DSM and can tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel? Does it get better? I have read several posts where people aren't feeling any restriction in a 14cc band until they get to 9-10cc or more. At four weeks between fills that could take 4 more months and that is IF they kept giving me 1cc each time. I am so discouraged.

Hello, I live between Iowa City and Cedar Rapids and had Lapband surgery in Grinnell in January. So far have lost 40+ lbs., but have ways to go. I was glad to find this group.

Kassie-I will be working in IA CITY this week. Are there any support groups in town? Thanks.

Hey- just joined, I was banded in KC, but since I moved to Iowa I now see Sundberg. I am glad to hear good things about him since the insurance co chose him for me. Your post was a relief!- Jaquelyn

I feel your pain and frustration, 2BEME! I am some what in the same boat. Exact same fills, but only after they tried four times with a short and long needles to fill me the first time and kept bending them. Long story short, had my surgery on 2-13, and had my second surgery on 4-3 as the port had gotten flipped up and was not lying flat so that they could fill it. They just opened up the largest incision and cut out some fat that was not letting it lie down(so glad to hear that!) and then filled me with 4 ccs. At first felt a little, but by the next app't. I was ready for the next 1cc. That one I really felt! I was choking on everything and getting food stuck all the time! I was so frustrated as I told my husband now I know why some people become alcoholics over this! It was the one thing I could drink or eat! In fact, I cancelled my next app't. because I knew I was not ready for a fill. I was very frustrated though as I had only lost 7 pounds and was riding my bike almost every day at least 12-15 miles getting ready to ride on RAGBRAI for a day. I felt more energtic, but was not losing the weight, though the clothes were fitting better. Then all of the sudden, I could eat everything and anything and had cravings that I had not had in months. I was due for another fill and I was given 1cc and knew by that night it was not working. I called and was told to give it the weekend to see if it would work. Monday I called again, but it has to be two weeks before they can fill you, which would have been the day before RAGBRAI and we didn't want to take a chance of me having problems the day I was riding. Then I was out of town, and they won't fill you if you won't be around for the next 3 or 4 days, to make sure things are going okay. So went two weeks of intense food events( one week was a cruise to Alaska-no will power there at all, but I really did try to exercise a lot) got back and had gained 5 pounds. LOVELY! They filled me with a 1/2 cc and still I have nothing. I now have 6.5 cc in me and my doc says I should be getting close to my sweet spot and of course, I am telling her I could eat a horse! They now think that when I was filled a few times before and was choking on food that when I coughed it up, the pressure sent my lower stomach up thru the band and made my upper stomach larger. So, I will go in again on Monday for either another fill or they will empty me out, let the lower stomach then fall back down thru the band and then I will start all over again. So, I certainly I understand your frustration and can empathize with you. You were to meet with Dr. Eibes, and what came out of that? I have decided this is my way of life and the weight is going to come off, just not as fast as I had planned, but it WILL come off and it will for you, too! Just remember that which does not kill us will make us stronger!!!!!