Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What you wish you'd known before having weight loss surgery

To stick with my diet...most people I have talked with stated that they ate more right before they had surgery. I cheated for one day because of my daughter's birthday party but, I got back on track after. @UndercoverDiet

Edited by TINK09

First of all, good luck with your journey!
To be honest with you- I️ have no regrets and there really isn’t anything I️ wish I’d known. It’s all a learning experience and you learn as you go through your journey. They keep saying the first year is a gift - I’m not sure what that means- so I’m thinking I️ need to stay with my new habits I️ have made a part of my life this year -exercise and eating habits.

Just know that the first few weeks you can feel depressed and miserable on the pureed diet. Not everyone experiences this but it's common. You think there is no light at the end of the rainbow.. then you move into normal food phase and your loving it !! No regrets!

That the first three to six weeks are going to feel like forever. I had two weeks of full liquids (yogurt, Soup, shakes) right after surgery then two weeks of purees (ricotta bake, tuna salad, chicken salad) and then finally to soft foods. Can i tell you I never thought a scrambled egg would taste so good.

Get moving and cleared for exercise as soon as you are able. it will make recovery so much easier.

1 hour ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

That the first three to six weeks are going to feel like forever. I had two weeks of full liquids (yogurt, Soup, shakes) right after surgery then two weeks of purees (ricotta bake, tuna salad, chicken salad) and then finally to soft foods. Can i tell you I never thought a scrambled egg would taste so good.

Get moving and cleared for exercise as soon as you are able. it will make recovery so much easier.

I can remember my friend saying that about eggs when he could have one too. Haha. Good thing I already like eggs. Thank you for the honest advice.

2 hours ago, tenseintexas said:

I wish I had known that the first five months would be terrible. I was a special case in that I was super nauseas for that time and no meds worked so I really just didn't eat - but I would still do it again- but I was not prepared for that

I'm sorry you had such a hard time. I hope you're feeling better now.

10 hours ago, dreamingsmall said:

Just know that the first few weeks you can feel depressed and miserable on the pureed diet. Not everyone experiences this but it's common. You think there is no light at the end of the rainbow.. then you move into normal food phase and your loving it !! No regrets!

My friend says he was surprised by how angry he felt.

1 hour ago, UndercoverDiet said:

My friend says he was surprised by how angry he felt.

I can understand that. Pissed off. Irritatable. Crying lol. All of it. Now the weight is falling off I don't care what cons I'm dealing with lol

I wish that I had known that my taste buds would change. I threw out tons of Protein, Soups, broth, etc, because I just couldn't stand them after surgery. Don't get me wrong, I read this in multiple posts, but didn't think that it would apply to me.

My advice...Don't buy too much of anything before surgery, because you might just despise it afterward.

That I have no idea what my style in clothing is. Years of wearing what fit vs what I liked and voila!

I agree... I now have nooooo clue what I like to wear or look like. First it was that nothing fit right, NOW the struggle is things are too big... Ohhh boy lol... Nut I have no regrets

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I wish I knew that I would have a drain for 48 hours. My surgeon never mentioned it so I assumed they didn't use them, wrong. That was a surprise to wake up to and the most painful part for me.

Also I wish I prepared myself better for mild regret directly after surgery and how slow moving through the stages would feel.

Now I'm almost 11 months out, about 15-20 pounds from goal and I have zero regrets.

As my surgery is quickly approaching (Dec 19th yay!) I'm wondering what is the one thing you know now that you wish you would have known before surgery?

I wish I had known that the pain from surgery was going to be quite minimal. I wish I had known that having puréed food makes it difficult to feel full because it slides right through. I wish I had known that the pounds don’t just slide off for everybody. I’m just now three weeks post op and have lost 20 lbs. Some of these posts claim a loss of 40 plus pounds!! I can hardly believe that it’s an average weight loss ( unless you weighed over 300 lbs.. I might believe that...)