Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in chest every time I sip or eat

I'm 3 weeks post op I keep having pain in my chest area between the bottom of my neck and right above my breast. I take minimum sips and I still get it but not as much. Is this normal for gastric bypass. It feels so abnormal. I feel like it is air pressure. It is beyond annoying and I wish I could prevent this from happening.

At the hospital I remember them doing a test on me to check the placement of things post op and they said the Fluid I swallowed went down very slow. I was very nauseated for 3 days and had a lot of trouble getting anything down. They prescribed me reglan for 10 days and I've been taking promethazine for occasional nausea. I just hope with time these symptoms reside.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

In reviewing my discharge instructions under When to call your surgeon?

One of the items listed was Chest pain, rapid heartbeat and/or dizziness.

This caution is probably driven by the threat of a pulmonary embolism. 50% of all patients with blood clots will develop a pulmonary embolism. The symptoms of this condition are Sudden Shortness of Breath or Chest Pain with Breathing.

According to the internet:

Our bodies react to surgery like any other injury. The healing process can increase blood clotting which could lead to an embolism. There is a 1% chance of blood clots occurring in the legs after surgery. This is usually prevented by giving the patient a blood thinner before and after surgery. Using elastic surgical stockings, which compress the legs and keep the blood flowing faster in the veins, is another way of preventing clotting. Keeping the operation as short as possible, and getting the patient up and walking quickly thereafter can also prevent clotting.

Occasionally these blood clots can break off and go to the heart or lungs. This is referred to as a pulmonary embolism and is one of the potential causes of mortality after these operations. This risk is less than 1%.

Here is another link that might be of help. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-embolism/symptoms-causes/syc-20354647

Have you tried Gas X strips? I read somewhere on here that some ppl found them helpful postoperatively.

I used gas x right after surgery but stopped. My Aunt had gastric sleeve and when I described my discomfort she said she had the same problem and that she uses gas x strips, also for me to remember slowing down when consuming. I'll have to get some strips to try. Yesterday I tried Gerber Apple sauce and I did not have the problem. This morning I had Gerber fruit and only very little burps. I think I am just swallowing air and am still getting used to the very small sips. The Gerber I had comes in a pouch I can squeeze the fruit up to the top pushing out air before I sip. Usually I eat with a spoon or drink Fluid and it's so easy to revert back to old ways of not thinking too much of how much air I may swallow. It's still an adjustment. Thank you both for responding quickly. I know with chest pain there is always concern if it is cardiac,vascular, or pulmonary related. As a registered nurse I know it is not but I'm still a newbie to the surgery so I really appreciate y'all helping. I'm so happy I found this group.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I know I just was in my preop session and they did a lot of talking about chewing and chewing every bite. No drinking during meals, no straws, all these things.

It is a lot to learn and remember and with my operation so close I’m trying to remind myself of all these things too. I have a tendency to eat quickly now so I know it’s something I need to work on to avoid discomfort in the future.

Good luck!