Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Dish!!! Do You Still Like To Cook and Interact With Food?

Do you still like to cook and interact with food now that you are either on the other side, or are seriously knuckling down to your pre-surgery diets? Do you try new recipes and like/love cooking still (if you ever did)? Or do you seek to just "getterdone", you know, get in, get out, get on with your life? Gimme the straight skinny on how and what/why you put food down your pie hole now that you're gellin' like fellon!

Inquiring minds and all...

I don't look forward to eating or get excited about food like I used to, but I still enjoy making food for my family. I'm part of a food photo sharing group and have found that I enjoy photographing my food more than I enjoy eating it.

I'd like to try more wls friendly recipes, but I am pretty lazy and busy and have a toddler who hangs on my legs and cries while I cook.

Early months/years post op I really didn't enjoy food as much as I used to. I made a conscious decision to not spend my time energy on food, making it taste better etc. to try to change that relationship with food. Others have had much success post WLS and developing their cooking skills!

*following*

I will likely still cook, only 2 weeks out, I did make the family a pot roast dinner. I am quite a good cook, but currently not interested in food - which is good!! I plan on creating some lo-carb recipes, tweaking some holiday cookie recipes, etc. I have some diff sugar substitutes (Swerve) - ordered cyclamates, the original Sugar Twin from Canada. I won't mess with the pie recipes though - would not be forgiven for that or the toffee.

4 months post : cooking for my self is very simple. I cook for my kids but if there not here I don't Cook.

@Sosewsue61Gosh I hear ya on push back from the fam when you jack with the family faves! LOL! I do use a tad of Sugar Twin (both brown and white) to get a symbiotic effect with other sweeteners like Swerve. It will boost the sweetness while keeping total overall volume of the sweeteners down!

See, I think these are all encouraging answers and I have to confess, I was hoping to hear things like this. I'm such a crazy foodie. I formerly spent WAY too much time/energy interacting with food. The result? Never ever ever did I come close to reaching goal. I believe that although my recipes that I developed were dead delish and low carb, I still ate too much and so took in more calories than I burned.

This time around (don't know what will happen post surgery), but pre-surg, I've tried to keep my meals dead simple (but tasty). For the most part, each night is just a grilled or pan sauteed meat, veg, and small salad for Mr. Fluffy and me. Super simple stuff, where we grill a bunch of chickie boobs or fish and then eat it at multiple meals--maybe with a low cal/low carb/low sugar sauce...but still super simple. I try to keep my time in the kitchen soooo low. Not just to keep the food interaction to a minimum, but because of pain and energy. I don't have much energy and pain is very high.

But I have a theory that maybe the most successful WLSers (do we have a good name for us?) are maybe the ones who get down to brass tacks the hardest and just power through to lose the weight as quickly as humanly possible. This subset of peeps keep things dead simple. No shenanigans. No fancy recipes. Mostly Protein, maybe a Tomato or a bite of sauce to make it go down easier, and a bite or two of veg, maybe a few berries or low glycemic fruit or maybe a bite of quinoa or brown rice sometimes. I think I'm witnessing that these super-successes (as I'll call them), are more focused on the losing than they are on the taste of the food. It's more eat to fuel, rather than eating to feel good and be a foodie.

I'm just trying to see if we can confirm that theory or not? What I don't want to be at the end of the road is one of the peeps who did not lose all their weight and get to goal (or below it) as a result of the surgery. I think my best bet is to power it out in the first 6 months (since I have relatively little to lose--this might not be the same thing if I needed to lose 100+lbs at this stage) to try to get to goal--if I even have the power to effect this post surgery.

To do this, I know I really have to continue to change my relationship with food. I've really limited the amount of pleasure I get from interacting with food so that I can wean myself from that--at least for now. I'm gonna try to KISS, and make 10-15 minute meals (especially post WLS) to stay out of the kitchen. I pray every night that I will be one of the blessed who have relief from "food hunger" post surgery--the ones who eat because they must, rather than because they are starving or craving.

What are y'alls thoughts? Do y'all employ these types of strategies to limit food pleasure/reward?

Edited by FluffyChix

I'm a foodie, too. I am hoping that I can pour this energy into perfecting the right kinds of recipes and cooking techniques for my long-term success, but I'll have to wait and see how my body processes surgery.

I cant imagine doing this with kids -- at least MY picky carb-centric kids. :-) 22yo son is still living with us, but he's got his own life going on, and I've been weaning him off Mommy services like daily dinners, so there won't be any shocks. I am preparing my husband to make lunch his main meal, and count on lean Protein and veges from me after 7 weeks (my surgeon has a slow food rollout...). He's on board!

Edited by Apple203

duplicate!

Edited by Apple203

Well my snag is I am raising 10yr old and 7yr old granddaughters - so I have to add some starch in there. My plan is to just add a noodle dish or something for them. We already grill a lot, all winter even. And these girls will eat real food, prefer real food - fish, vegetables, salads, fruit, Coq au vin, venison chili, etc. Of course they will eat brats, burgers, tacos, spaghetti, too!!!

My goal is to lose 60 - 65 pounds from today - 200.5. I hope to just concentrate on the Protein and a few bites of vegetables as well. I really only go all out at holidays with the pie thing, and whole t-giving dinner. Christmas is prime rib, asparagus, salad, wild rice dish - but if I can't tolerate the beef I will make a chicken thigh or something w asparagus.

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Do you still like to cook and interact with food now that you are either on the other side, or are seriously knuckling down to your pre-surgery diets? Do you try new recipes and like/love cooking still (if you ever did)? Or do you seek to just "getterdone", you know, get in, get out, get on with your life? Gimme the straight skinny on how and what/why you put food down your pie hole now that you're gellin' like fellon!

Inquiring minds and all...

What are y'alls thoughts? Do y'all employ these types of strategies to limit food pleasure/reward?

I tend to get into ruts with my goto meals. I cook eggs, chicken fajitas no tortillas, Sweet apple chicken sausage. Crockpot white chicken chili and ground turkey meatloaf or burgers.

I like to cook and try new foods. Nutrition should still be flavorful. But, I keep the comfort food and temptations out of my home.

My dietician has some great recipes..Most are simple.

http://insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/

My thanksgiving goto dishes..

Marinated roasted turkey breast no skin ( grill mates seasoning, apple cider vinegar, worcestershire and water.)

Roasted pumpkin and apple. (cubed small sugar pumpkin, cubed apple. Drizzle of sugar free maple Syrup. Bake on a cookie sheet)

Fresh french green Beans steamed, almond slices and a bit of bacon for taste.

Pumpkin pie mousse: vanilla or cheesecake sugar free pudding mix, fairlife milk, pumpkin puree, allspice and cinnamon. Scoop vanilla Protein Powder. (use half the amount of milk to make a thicker texture)

I found that I gained time and energy when I no longer gave that energy to food. You know: cookbooks. Cooking channel. Shopping. Preparing .Serving. Clean up. Even now I mute commercials.
I just limit my exposure to food and stick to my favorites: chili, Soup, stews, Beans, chicken etc.
Guess I'm boring but I cook anytime company or grown kids are around🥓[emoji505][emoji893]

@Apple203 Cracking up over weaning off of "mommy services!" Hilarious! We sound so much alike! We're trying to find the "path to righteousness." LOL. If that's even possible. The jury's still out. There's just the two of us here, so no carb monkeys to please. My doc also has a slow rollout to real foods. I think I may be about the same time out as you (about 7 weeks-ish to veg)? I know there are many paths to the same place and for me, the fastest way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it. So I want to be sure to stop short of saying, I will never cook another complex meal--but I think I'm gonna try to focus 90% of my diet being KISS, Protein forward meals followed by veg and fruit. (Buy dayum, I have to have my veggies with the protein because I really love them. But luckily, they are mostly the low carb, high Fiber veggies that I love best.)

@Sosewsue61 Congrats on being right on the cusp of onederland!!! Yippee!!! Your Christmas dinner sounds like ours! I make a standing rib, roasted brussels with bacon and onion, some kind of salad. I usually don't do dessert cuz neither of us need it, but I may splurge for him and make my low carb sugar free tiramisu. Not exactly KISS, but it's very low carb and freezes great for him for later! Merry Christmas Mr. Fluffy! ha!

@jenn1 How funny! I just saw Inside Karen's Kitchen blog just the other day! She sounds fabulous and loved her recipes! We love white chicken chili! Your pumpkin apple roast sounds very intriguing! I splurged in honor of Tgiving and got an acorn squash, so maybe I might do a little of that with a couple of cubes of Granny Smith apples! We don't eat a lot of the higher carb veggies, but if that's the worst of it, Mr. F's diabetes should be ok. Love the sound of your dessert!

@Julie norton Ha! I mute food commercials too and even make myself look away!! Too funny! We're def. one trick ponies on normal non-holidays! How do you eat Soups post surgery? Do you eat the liquid part first, then eat the solids?

Love this conversation!!!

Edited by FluffyChix

I am one of the lucky ones for sure. My hubby and I have been married for 44 years. Our focus was FOOD!!!! Now that I had my RNY (july/2013) and he had his Sleeve (June 2016) food just doesn't give us the same rush!! With the Holidays coming, we just told our daughter that we weren't doing the all-out bash this year. At first, I thought OH NO but she took it fine because she will more than likely be working. We are going out and having Thanksgiving alone this year. No leftovers to tempt us later. Maybe our Turkey and Ham are all. Last Christmas we decided we would just stay home so her family went to the other Grandparents house it was fine for all. Food just isn't our mainstay anymore. I am just happy as a clam, I don't have to cook or put away leftovers or do the dishes!! YAY me!!

1 minute ago, shedo82773 said:

I am one of the lucky ones for sure. My hubby and I have been married for 44 years. Our focus was FOOD!!!! Now that I had my RNY (july/2013) and he had his Sleeve (June 2016) food just doesn't give us the same rush!! With the Holidays coming, we just told our daughter that we weren't doing the all-out bash this year. At first, I thought OH NO but she took it fine because she will more than likely be working. We are going out and having Thanksgiving alone this year. No leftovers to tempt us later. Maybe our Turkey and Ham are all. Last Christmas we decided we would just stay home so her family went to the other Grandparents house it was fine for all. food just isn't our mainstay anymore. I am just happy as a clam, I don't have to cook or put away leftovers or do the dishes!! YAY me!!

Honestly this is where I really aspire to be 90-95% of the time. But I just reread my last post and I realize I have a long way to go, cuz I just felt a huge jolt of energy to talk about food. Like maybe I almost/did get a "fix" from this discussion! Wow. Very interesting this! Love your idea about going out for Tgiving. And as for Christmas, I don't know if Mr. Fluffy will get his usual Christmas roast beast and trimmings. I may have just had surgery (hopefully), so we will have to wing it. We may have to go out for that so that he can eat! I'll just have some warm tea or something!

7 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

@Sosewsue61Gosh I hear ya on push back from the fam when you jack with the family faves! LOL! I do use a tad of Sugar Twin (both brown and white) to get a symbiotic effect with other sweeteners like Swerve. It will boost the sweetness while keeping total overall volume of the sweeteners down!

See, I think these are all encouraging answers and I have to confess, I was hoping to hear things like this. I'm such a crazy foodie. I formerly spent WAY too much time/energy interacting with food. The result? Never ever ever did I come close to reaching goal. I believe that although my recipes that I developed were dead delish and low carb, I still ate too much and so took in more calories than I burned.

This time around (don't know what will happen post surgery), but pre-surg, I've tried to keep my meals dead simple (but tasty). For the most part, each night is just a grilled or pan sauteed meat, veg, and small salad for Mr. Fluffy and me. Super simple stuff, where we grill a bunch of chickie boobs or fish and then eat it at multiple meals--maybe with a low cal/low carb/low sugar sauce...but still super simple. I try to keep my time in the kitchen soooo low. Not just to keep the food interaction to a minimum, but because of pain and energy. I don't have much energy and pain is very high.

But I have a theory that maybe the most successful WLSers (do we have a good name for us?) are maybe the ones who get down to brass tacks the hardest and just power through to lose the weight as quickly as humanly possible. This subset of peeps keep things dead simple. No shenanigans. No fancy recipes. Mostly Protein, maybe a Tomato or a bite of sauce to make it go down easier, and a bite or two of veg, maybe a few berries or low glycemic fruit or maybe a bite of quinoa or brown rice sometimes. I think I'm witnessing that these super-successes (as I'll call them), are more focused on the losing than they are on the taste of the food. It's more eat to fuel, rather than eating to feel good and be a foodie.

I'm just trying to see if we can confirm that theory or not? What I don't want to be at the end of the road is one of the peeps who did not lose all their weight and get to goal (or below it) as a result of the surgery. I think my best bet is to power it out in the first 6 months (since I have relatively little to lose--this might not be the same thing if I needed to lose 100+lbs at this stage) to try to get to goal--if I even have the power to effect this post surgery.

To do this, I know I really have to continue to change my relationship with food. I've really limited the amount of pleasure I get from interacting with food so that I can wean myself from that--at least for now. I'm gonna try to KISS, and make 10-15 minute meals (especially post WLS) to stay out of the kitchen. I pray every night that I will be one of the blessed who have relief from "food hunger" post surgery--the ones who eat because they must, rather than because they are starving or craving.

I bet there are successful people who make fancy recipes. I just prefer to keep it simple as that's just me. But if your a foodie and you enjoy cooking it won't hold you back trying a variety of things. I just don't like variety.

I make a million meat balls in the oven. And just eat that with some cheese and spinach till its finished . I can't be bothered spending along time cooking for the sake of a few bites lol