Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Dish!!! Do You Still Like To Cook and Interact With Food?

I was just talking to my hubby about this last night. He is bored of the same old menu, day in and out.

My goal of having the limited schedule was to be able to STICK to the plan. If you always know what you're gonna eat, then you always have the right food in the house, and it isn't a struggle.

Previously, without a solid plan, we'd be hungry, not have "anything to cook" and end up getting fast food.

The limited menu has fixed that problem. But boredom is a new one. So, now that I can hit 70g Protein in two meals and a snack, it really opens up the possibility for more variety. I'll have to sit down and come up with a plan.

I'm not picky, myself. So am sick of having to provide food for 6 other people that all have different needs/wants.

A sampling: no nuts, no acidic fruit, no Pasta, no Beans, no pork, no chicken, no lactose, no veggie except corn, no corn on the cob, no turkey, no eggs, no hot dogs, no beets, no onions, no fish, no tofu...

There isn't really a meal that everyone will eat except pizza and hamburgers. (But I can't eat those... lol!)

Sigh.

@Berry78 Oh man - tough crowd!!! No chicken or pork!! No veg but corn!!

I would have to go rogue!!! Lol

20 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Honestly this is where I really aspire to be 90-95% of the time. But I just reread my last post and I realize I have a long way to go, cuz I just felt a huge jolt of energy to talk about food. Like maybe I almost/did get a "fix" from this discussion! Wow. Very interesting this! Love your idea about going out for Tgiving. And as for Christmas, I don't know if Mr. Fluffy will get his usual Christmas roast beast and trimmings. I may have just had surgery (hopefully), so we will have to wing it. We may have to go out for that so that he can eat! I'll just have some warm tea or something!

When I had my RNY and was so very sick, plus my daughter had moved to North Dakota and our son always spends the holidays with his MIL & FIL. As I was saying I still felt guilty about Thanksgiving so I fix a Turkey Roast mashed potatoes etc. But for his dressing, I talked him into eating it way different than our usual. I added some walnuts, rasains and diced apples. As I was making it I ate some of the rasains and walnuts. Well, the next day I had to go in for my first Endoscope and dilation. I threw up all night and couldn't even drink water!! He seemed to like his dinner, but I sure couldn't stand the smells. Since that dinner, my daughter moved back and I passed the MAKING OF OUR DINNERS!! She uses all of my recipes that was handed down to me by my mom. three generations of recipes. I must say she stepped up to the plate and did great. So I was afraid she would get mad at us but nope. We are going to just love going out alone. The family is great but sometimes we need to be alone to enjoy our meals. Thank goodness my hubby was a Chef in the Navy so he can cook for us or himself. That way I can say yes or no to what he fixes. LOL Being older has some benefits. LOL We jut have to do what it takes!!!

19 minutes ago, shedo82773 said:

When I had my RNY and was so very sick, plus my daughter had moved to North Dakota and our son always spends the holidays with his MIL & FIL. As I was saying I still felt guilty about Thanksgiving so I fix a Turkey Roast mashed potatoes etc. But for his dressing, I talked him into eating it way different than our usual. I added some walnuts, rasains and diced apples. As I was making it I ate some of the rasains and walnuts. Well, the next day I had to go in for my first Endoscope and dilation. I threw up all night and couldn't even drink water!! He seemed to like his dinner, but I sure couldn't stand the smells. Since that dinner, my daughter moved back and I passed the MAKING OF OUR DINNERS!! She uses all of my recipes that was handed down to me by my mom. three generations of recipes. I must say she stepped up to the plate and did great. So I was afraid she would get mad at us but nope. We are going to just love going out alone. The family is great but sometimes we need to be alone to enjoy our meals. Thank goodness my hubby was a Chef in the Navy so he can cook for us or himself. That way I can say yes or no to what he fixes. LOL Being older has some benefits. LOL We jut have to do what it takes!!!

As I was reading thru the post I remembered how much different my mind is now compared to before. I also did Atkins (plus almost every diet is known to man sometimes 2 to 3 times ) My hubby also did Atkins, he lost like crazy I never lost not 1 #!! And I was always what I call "Balls to the Wall or nothing". I just realized something about myself, I don't feel like that anymore. It wasn't just diets but even exercise!! Even after my RNY I kept thinking I have to exercise 7 days a week. I would get depressed if something came up and I couldn't get my walk in!! NOW!! People, I think more in a balanced way. THANK GOODNESS, I am ok!!

@Berry78 I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have to herd all those cats while also dealing with you very specific diet. You know? My admiration increases even more! How do you do it?

There's just the two of us here and Mr. F. is a picky eater. He's been known to deduct "delishiousness points" because a meal had "too much green" (i.e. spinach or greens). LOL. And he won't eat anything other than fish from the whole seafood family. *sigh* But thankfully right now, he knows to tread very carefully about throwing a food tantrum. LOL. For the most part, he happily eats what is put in front of him without many complaints. I do get the odd 7 out of 10 on some meals which torks me off no end. LOL. *snort*

3 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

There's just the two of us here and Mr. F. is a picky eater. He's been known to deduct "delishiousness points" because a meal had "too much green" (i.e. spinach or greens). LOL.

hahaha

Yeah I had a husband once that used to say ' This is good, but it would be better if you put some cheese in it.' I just love left handed compliments <sarcasm>. (That was the one I didn't keep, not the reason for divorce mind you)

@shedo82773 Girl! You are so blessed--not 1 but 2 cooks to do your bidding? :o:D I say prayers everyday that this RNY surgery will help re-balance me! I'm so happy to hear it's helped you with balance! I'm convinced there is a subset of people for which low carb may not work completely. I was able to lose 60lbs down from 325lbs--then absolutely nothing. No matter how I tweaked it, the scale wouldn't move until I added intermittent fasting to the low carb--then it started moving down again. So weird. :(

@Sosewsue61 Ha!! You crack me up SO much! *snort* :460_circus_tent:

On 11/7/2017 at 0:41 PM, FluffyChix said:

Do you still like to cook and interact with food now that you are either on the other side, or are seriously knuckling down to your pre-surgery diets? Do you try new recipes and like/love cooking still (if you ever did)? Or do you seek to just "getterdone", you know, get in, get out, get on with your life? Gimme the straight skinny on how and what/why you put food down your pie hole now that you're gellin' like fellon!

Inquiring minds and all...

It goes back and forth for me. In the beginning I was all about trying new recipes so I could get some flavor and not feel deprived. My husband and teenage son are picky eaters though and I often found that they didn't like the new recipes and it was all on me to eat what I cooked, so I purchased some small containers to freeze meals. That was helpful for when I didn't feel like cooking or needed lunch to take to work.

Now, for convenience, and honestly out of pure laziness, I sometimes just make plain meat in the crock pot or instant pot, let the fam add their own sides, and I just eat my Protein to "getterdone". If I start feeling deprived or feel like I can't eat one more bite of plain meat, I start looking through my recipes to try something new. It just depends on my mood, and I don't want to feel deprived or I will start craving things I shouldn't have.

@ChaosUnlimited I honestly think this is where I'm going to end up falling. I am betting I will cook something fancy every once in a while to stave off cravings for "lush." Otherwise, I think it's gonna be some kind of moist Protein and make the avo/tomato salad and veg for Mr. F..

@FluffyChix My biggest challenge even now is trying to figure out how much to cook so I'm not stuck with too much left over. One time I had a whole freezer full of chili leftover, I used up all my 4 and 8 oz containers. I'm still sick of chili!

I kept my cooking pretty simple the first 3 months. I am now trying new recipes almost every week. I like the challenge of making great tasting healthy food!

I love cooking more now than before because instead of making a lot of time tested family recipes. I am making lots of new recipes with new ingredients (healthy substitutions). Also I cook one serving at time, sometimes 2, so my cooking involves a lot of math which I also enjoy. Meal prep and cooking is a part of my entire meal. That makes my small meals seem longer and more satisfying, even though the portions are small. I cook all my meals fresh as I eat them and that also adds a lot of enjoyment for me, since I love fresh food.

I'm probably more of a foodie, food snob than ever before. I make every calorie count like it is a dollar I spending. I refuse to eat anything subpar or that I don't like. If I get something out and it doesn't taste good, I just toss it.

2 hours ago, BDME said:

Berry78 I’m laughing because as a kid my mom was having none of that. I️ ate what was put in front of me or I️ didn’t eat at all.

Yeah.. that's how I would roll, except the kids have learned that if they refuse my dinner that they can go wake up their grandmother, drag her out of bed, and that she would make them something else.

Sigh...

I figure when they grow up they'll figure it out or not.. won't be my problem anymore. (Half of those food refusals are from the inlaws themselves...)

No wonder I packed up and went to Mexico to get chopped on.. (lucky I chose Dr. Illan and was actually well taken care of and got a refreshing vacation out of it... but the unending frustration helped me make the decision)...