Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I get hungry late night

Hello all

I am a new sleever . I got my surgery done September 26 2017. I'm down 23 lbs since surgery. I am in the full liquids transitioning into the purée stage . I've tryed everything and I can't keep my food down . Even the Protein Shakes flip my stomach. However I found a fix . I've been eating 2oz of Broccoli cheese Soup for Breakfast lunch and dinner and my snack is dark 2oz -4oz dark chocolate sugar free pudding. My last snack for the day ends at 8pm . I'm satisfied then but then I stay up later and then I get hungry . I get the tummy growling and all . Silly question is this normal?

Congratulations on your progress! Since you've already had surgery, you might find more answers on the POST-surgery forum. That said, so many questions here revolve around the question of normalcy. If you get hungry when you stay up later, what if you went to bed earlier? Good luck!

It is definitely normal to get hungry late night if it has been hours since your last meal. If you have 2 ounces of broccoli cheese Soup at 8pm, then you are probably going to be hungry at 10pm.

You really aren't consuming enough. Think about it, you are consuming 6 ounces of broccoli cheese soup, and 2-4 ounces of sugar free pudding daily. That is less than 300 calories and a minimal amount of Protein per day. I would be starving at almost 3 weeks out if I ate that much, and not just late night. Maybe you can add some unflavored protein to the soup. You could also use Premier Protein shakes to make your sugar free Jello pudding. Finding a way to add in protein would help you stay fuller longer.

Also, if you can't stomach Protein Shakes, maybe protein smoothies will work. Combine 1/2 frozen banana, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries or strawberries, 1/4 cup frozen mango or pineapple, 1 premier Protein Shake (I liked bananas and cream or strawberries and cream), 1 scoop unsweetened Protein Powder, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup Water, and ice.

If you want to lower the carbs, omit the mango and/or pineapple, and add a bit of stevia or splenda for sweetness.

I loved these while on full liquids, because 1 of these made around 36 ounces of smoothie. Altogether, the smoothie was around 60g Protein. I would have around 12 ounces per sitting. This would give me 3 of my meals. I would then have some pureed soup with unsweetened protein powder or Bone Broth 2X daily.

I still stayed under 800 calories, and went over 80g Protein each day. Since you don't eat much, you could probably break this into 6 - 6 oz. servings instead and have it over 2 days. It will cut the protein and calorie counts in half, but it will still increase your overall intake.

I start my day at 5am, and go to bed at 10pm each day. I was content with this, and was never hungry. I didn't do this everyday while on full liquids. Some days, I just drank Premier Protein shakes and broth all day. However, most days, I felt that I needed at least some veggies thrown in since I wasn't eating anything. Plus I wanted to avoid getting constipated.

I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you very much

Thank you once again for the advice .I'm gonna try to up my intake I just get so full so fast .The unflavored Protein to the pudding is a really good idea because the Protein Shakes are making my stomach crazy .

I get crazy rumblings late at night that feel like hunger pangs, I asked my team if it was acid and if I should up my omeprazole. They told me that it’s more likely bile reflux and to suck on a slice of lemon.

Ooo wow I'll consider this as well . Thank you all for your advice and help. Stay encouraged as well