Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric sleeve and Hiatus hernia repair

Hi I'm new to this group. I'm booked in to having the gastric sleeve on 26th Oct but am also getting my hiatus hernia repaired after years of constant pain. Has anyone else had this done at the same time? I've been seeing how everyone has coped with their pain after having the gastric sleeve but having the hernia repaired also is a longer op and has to re build the top of my stomach so I'm wondering how the pain will differ. I'm very excited to change my life and loose the weight with the gastric sleeve but nervous about the hernia repair. Cheers

I had a pretty bad hernia repair and sleeve and my pain was almost non existent. I have felt great.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I was just sleeved September 25 during the surgery they found a hernia repaired it when I woke up from Anesthesia, I had a lot of back pain and shoulder pain. apparently they said with a repair of hernia back pain and shoulder pain is not uncommon. I overnighted a lumbar support pillow from Amazon that I used immediately after surgery and made it feel so much better . The pain went away after about a week . Hot Water on your back in the shower feels good too

I am 1 week post op from the sleeve and the hernia. The day I got surgery was the only day I was in real pain. I'm in No pain at. But the diet restrictions are very hard. I'm starting the pureed stage tomorrow and looking forward to it big time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgery is the 17th - - sleeve and hiatial hernia both. I KNOW I have the hiatial hernia! I take protonix for it twice a day and if I miss 1 day - - OH MY GOSH!! Hoping that after I have some recovery and start to actually eat food again in a few months that I notice a real difference :) I have had this hernia for at least 30 years. I was told to take my protonix the morning of surgery.

I've had my hiatus hernia for over 20 years and in the last few years I wake in pain nearly every night. The medication helps but if I don't keep on top of it the pain is pretty bad. I too can't wait to get it fixed and feel normal and sleep an entire night without waking in pain.

I had a large and painful hiatal hernia, had it repaired with my bypass on Oct 19. You will be amazed at how quickly you feel better! I could tell the difference right away. Some people I know had a more painful post op recovery period, but I did not. But the pain and regurgitation and reflux from the hernia was all gone from the moment I woke up after surgery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Fixing a Hiatal hernia is one or two sutures and is a relatively quick fix. It shouldn't change recovery or pain much at all.

If you're getting bad acid reflux it will likely improve that but that's about all

I had mines repaired. All I cam say is when I woke up I had so much pressure in my chest and pain in my stomach I couldnt breathe. My surgeon ordered a ekg and xray. I had to use oxygen that whole day. But I was up and walking after I woke up from sugery and thats when I discovered the pain and it was pretty intense. Everybody is different and tolerate pain different you may not experience what I have. Good luck and congratulations on your new journey

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app