Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I want to believe

I want to believe that I can do this on my own. Many people will tell me that along the way, I know.

But I have been so motivated before that I could have sung from the rooftop my weight loss anthem, and I still failed. The problem is now that I am older and have tried many times and see my weight higher than ever, I don't get that blind faith in myself anymore. I know that I'm a very strong person, and ambitious and nice and have a lot of good qualities. But I am not good at self discipline. Especially with food.

The flip side of this is there is hope. Statistically and medically what I have chosen is normally very successful. And people who have chosen gastric sleeve sing it's praises. I thought ppl would hate it. But the more I read, the more I hear over and over again "the best thing I ever did" and "wish I'd done it sooner."

I understand that weight loss surgery can be offensive or appear extreme to the general public. Maybe it seems I'm overly commited? Or maybe less comitted? Maybe it seems like cheating or an easy way out. Maybe it seems too extreme and hard when I could do it the old fashioned way.

None of this really matters to me. At the end of the road, it has to be what I chose I can live with. And right now I know I have to chose a life of morbid obesity, or a life with weight-loss surgery to help me escape. Which is more dangerous? What is more risky? Which has more potential for happiness? These are my questions to answer, no one else's.

Sent from my LGL64VL using BariatricPal mobile app

You chose your own journey! You can do this and will all be worth it!

I want to believe that I can do this on my own. Many people will tell me that along the way, I know.
But I have been so motivated before that I could have sung from the rooftop my weight loss anthem, and I still failed. The problem is now that I am older and have tried many times and see my weight higher than ever, I don't get that blind faith in myself anymore. I know that I'm a very strong person, and ambitious and nice and have a lot of good qualities. But I am not good at self discipline. Especially with food.
The flip side of this is there is hope. Statistically and medically what I have chosen is normally very successful. And people who have chosen gastric sleeve sing it's praises. I thought ppl would hate it. But the more I read, the more I hear over and over again "the best thing I ever did" and "wish I'd done it sooner."
I understand that weight loss surgery can be offensive or appear extreme to the general public. Maybe it seems I'm overly commited? Or maybe less comitted? Maybe it seems like cheating or an easy way out. Maybe it seems too extreme and hard when I could do it the old fashioned way.
None of this really matters to me. At the end of the road, it has to be what I chose I can live with. And right now I know I have to chose a life of morbid obesity, or a life with weight-loss surgery to help me escape. Which is more dangerous? What is more risky? Which has more potential for happiness? These are my questions to answer, no one else's.
Sent from my LGL64VL using BariatricPal mobile app

Many of us have had these question. Unfortunately we have no crystal ball or guarantee that this will be "it". Personally I feel that there will be pros and cons down both roads. In the end, like with many big life decisions, we have to do as much research as possible, and talk to as many professionals familiar with the subject as possible. Only then will we have a little more confidence in our decision.

I agree 100%! I have actually backed out of having WLS before because I lost weight on the pre-op diet and just knew I could do it on my own. That thought has crossed my mind again but I refuse to quit this time. Other people might be able to do it on their own, but I need help and I'm happy to seek it out [emoji1360]

I am 238 lbs .I have asthma never had surgery or any other medical problems . I am 48 yrs . I have been struggling with excess weight for 21 years . I know it came just because of lot of stress in life and over eating . I want to go for surgery but everyday I am thinking I can do this my own why surgery why taking irreversible decision but the truth is whenever stressor comes I over eat .

This is mental torture not able to decide what should I do even though I have decided and going through the process I am sacred that I might back off

Hey Jan17, I have struggled as well, setting at 240 for many years. Bottom line is, I bounced up and down on my weight for years and have finally decided to at 60 years old to go forward with the surgery. I have now developed three illnesses probably all caused by my weight I'm gonna fix this and add many years to my life. I've also decided to become more active and enjoy what life I have left with traveling and scuba diving and any other activities I want to do, my weight won't stop me. My surgery is in two days.

I big deciding factor for me was I am 37 and the only con I can see to not go thru with the surgery is I can't binge eat anymore or drink alot of beer. 2 things I've already done for 20 years. Now I combatted alot with countless hours in the gym but with really no gains or changes cause of my bad eating/drinking habits. So now I've realized how miserable I am FAT and can't imagine living the rest of my life trapped in my body. That's how I know surgery is the right decision for me. I've already lost 35 lbs and have huge goals I wanna accomplish. I dream and Aim high. And honestly they'res no reason we all can't get the life we all envision.

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

I am about 8 weeks post op. I have struggled with my weight for many years. I started thinking about WLS a few years ago and I talked myself out if it because I thought I could lose through dieting. For the past 5 years, I have spent so much money on different programs, fad diets and endless meetings. All this time, my weight kept going up. The final aha moment for me was when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. It was then that I realized I need effective treatment for obesity. Like most people, my biggest regret was not getting sleeved sooner. But then again, I think I needed to hit rock bottom to appear irate this tool. I have lost about 30lbs so far by just following the program to the T. I did not even look at the band when I was seeking treatment. Just didn't want the idea of a foreign object in my body that is movable.

On 22/09/2017 at 11:50 PM, starshine123 said:

At the end of the road, it has to be what I chose I can live with.

In a nutshell!

Best wishes for whatever path becomes your chosen future!

I am 238 lbs .I have asthma never had surgery or any other medical problems . I am 48 yrs . I have been struggling with excess weight for 21 years . I know it came just because of lot of stress in life and over eating . I want to go for surgery but everyday I am thinking I can do this my own why surgery why taking irreversible decision but the truth is whenever stressor comes I over eat .
This is mental torture not able to decide what should I do even though I have decided and going through the process I am sacred that I might back off

You could always give yourself a time limit, say 3-6 months , and try to take it off on your own first.

6 hours ago, Nancy MBGC said:

I want to go for surgery but everyday I am thinking I can do this my own why surgery why taking irreversible decision but the truth is whenever stressor comes I over eat .

This was me.

My serious overweight/obesity has been a 25 year battle of yo-yo dieting. consistent exercise and emotional eating. You'll see from the attached graph that it became my choice to stick with surgery this time. (The red line is BMI of 23 ... ideal weight/mass. All masses are in kilograms.)

I'm 61+ and, in Australia, 65 is the cut-off for surgery. I have good health insurance. I have seven grandkids.

Yours is your choice.

weight_narrow_1981-Sep2017.jpeg

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

I had gastric bypass and it changed my Outlook on food. I also don't eat red meat and very little white meat. My whole relationship with food. I loved food and now I hate it. I am over a year out and feel 20 years younger and hit goal. Alot of people don't recognize me and that is ok. I fought the surgery and cried on operating table as I felt like a failure but know I wish I had done it sooner.

Sent from my XT1650 using BariatricPal mobile app