Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

I just had a fill last Thursday and I wish I would have gone in sooner! I had a lot of Fluid removed in mid-December because of problems with heartburn and that weird jaw pain that comes with it for some of us. I gained 15 lbs. Sigh. I think most of it was from beer and ice cream, lol. Anyway, I have already dumped about 4 or 5 lbs and I am definitely feeling a huge difference in restriction and satiation. No heartburn, either! Onward and downward!

Hi,

I just had the lapband placed last Friday. What kind of pain and discomfort is normal when you get it first done?

16 minutes ago, HasmikMgeryan said:

Hi,

I just had the lapband placed last Friday. What kind of pain and discomfort is normal when you get it first done?

Hi. Usually there is gas pain in the shoulders and maybe some pain in the abdomen. Other than that, that's all I experienced 8 years ago. Wishing you well!

Hi,

Hi! When I had mine 6years ago I had port pain even a few weeks out. Gas pain as mentioned for several days . Hope you get to feeling better soon!

13 hours ago, HasmikMgeryan said:

Hi,

I was one of the lucky ones that did not experience much gas pain or any other significant pain. No port pain at all, either. My gallbladder removal surgery a few years earlier was far more painful. Good luck and happy banding!

1 hour ago, HasmikMgeryan said:

It’s so nice to talk to people who actually have the lapband! I am part of forum with my surgeons group, but no one seems to have the band.

Not too many of us left just remember that no matter what surgery you had to stay focus on you and stay committed to a change in lifestyle. I always used to eat after 9:00 pm so I started to go to bed around 9 so I would take that temptation away. I also do a lot of walking so I get up around 4:30 am to make it happen.

You will need to decide what works best for you.

I haven’t been online much since my surgery and wanted to update everyone on my progress. I’m no long an MGB patient. My surgeon revised my procedure to a full RNY Gastric Bypass. After performing the MGB, my stomach had active bleeding due to severe erosive gastritis secondary to my Lap-Band. Having had long term exposure to a foreign body (my Lap-Band) for 15 years caused me to have Barrett’s esophagus and sever erosive gastritis. My surgeon had to redo my entire WLS procedure again to insure an optimal outcome. In my case the RNY was the indicated procedure. Thanks to everyone who has reached out over the last week! You concern and caring words meant the world to me.

Julie, I didn’t know Alex had it removed. Did he revise to sleeve?

JWM. There was no explanation with Alex’s statement and picture of a perfectly intact band that was out of his body. I kinda looked up to him at 15 years banded as a great example.
I continue to try to stay underfilled, yet effective. Balancing act, huh?

I plan to keep my band until the grave; obviously, if it was a medical necessity, I would have it removed.

I guess you can call me a "lifer".

On 3/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, LadyMaggie said:

I plan to keep my band until the grave; obviously, if it was a medical necessity, I would have it removed.

I guess you can call me a "lifer".

That was my "plan" too!

That was my "plan" too!

Alex, you remain an inspiration. And I have no doubt that if my band ever gave me trouble, I would definitely revise to another surgery. Probably full gastric bypass. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy a successful life with the band for now. I thank you, always, for your honesty and your journey. You have taught so many of us how important it is to take care of our health.

I have just joined this forum. I was banded 03/14. I have learnt to live with my “friend” over the last 4 years. I have lost weight but nothing like I thought I would. However I am so much healthier and subsequently happier. I have officially reversed my diabetes and having seen the damage this terrible disease has done to my loved ones I am so grateful to have had the tool to help me change things! It takes some getting used to and I miss eating salads more than anything and bananas but small price to pay.

4 years of stress free but now I am a bit worried.

I live in Scotland and just back from Sri Lanka, whilst there vomited quite badly and wasn’t able to keep much down. Not food poisoning just made a bad choice for lunch and ate too quickly. Now if I am sick I give in and just take soft foods for the rest of the day and usually back to normal the next day but this hasn’t happened. Home now but still unwell. I have picked up a flu type virus over there and can only take liquids. Pain (not severe) on my left side just under my ribs. Things feel different since my vomiting episode and hoping it’s just because things have swollen with the vomiting and the virus which has made me cough. The gurgling is there but I can’t feel stuff passing through as I was.

I had the band on the NHS and I haven’t seen anyone for over 2 years. I don’t think my GP would even know where to start. I would hate to lose my “friend “ were this to be a slip and I would hate to rush into something if it was only because I have been unwell. Not sure where to turn or do I just ride it out until this virus gets better.

Ps, Soup is getting through. I have never suffered from reflux and definitely not getting it now.

Any advice anyone? Please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk