Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders



Recommended Posts

Four years ago the surgical group that installed my band, only performed this surgery. They now perform the gastric sleeve as well. The last time I visited one of the surgeons in their group I asked which was really better...the band or the sleeve. He said from a patient perspective the band was a wonderful tool because it can be tailored/adjusted to each individual. He believes it really does work, if the patient listens to what it is telling you. He also said there is a movement towards the sleeve. He said the slogan used by surgeons today is "sleeve em & leave em" I guess it is a cost of aftercare, a nurse to perform fills etc.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The surgeon that put in my lapband five years ago is now doing the sleeve. He was very strict on having his lapband patients come in monthly. He felt it lead to their success, and I agree with him. I’m not sure if he is only doing the sleeve now, but I know he does LOTS of them. As for me, I have a love/hate relationship with my band. But I have NO regrets!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was banded 2/14/11 did well and then had Fluid taken out 2 years suffered 4 miscarriages gained some back , lot what I gained got pregnant had my daughter a year ago and gained 50lbs I’m so depressed but it’s time to start my journey over


  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2018 at 10:34 PM, lilmzjennifer said:

I was banded 2/14/11 did well and then had Fluid taken out 2 years suffered 4 miscarriages gained some back , lot what I gained got pregnant had my daughter a year ago and gained 50lbs I’m so depressed but it’s time to start my journey over

Never too late to restart. Spend more time on your ability to make good choices and realize that you are not alone in your journey.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t posted in the General LapBand forums in a long time but I’m very happy with my band. This March will be four years.

My level of restriction is perfect as far as I am concerned. But I do eat a lot of s alads instead of solid p rotein. If I ate more solid p rotein I would feel more restriction and probably lose weight again.

I’ve bounced about 15-18 pounds over the last two years up and down. I haven’t visited my surgeon’s office in 2-1/2 years. The nurse who did my fills left. I feel like if it ain’t broke, don’t tinker with it.

Anyway, life banded is wonderful. I also go to Overeaters Anonymous and I know I need both OA and my band to continue to be successful living my new lifestyle.

I’m so grateful for the banders here and for Alex.


  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just came here today to say my piece about band life. I had my lap band placed in 2009. The first five years were heaven. I never got a fill until a year out and got down to 160lbs. I only had 3cc's total in my band. For months at the five year mark I started vomiting. I could not eat solids they were coming right back up. I thought well maybe I will just try liquids for a few days and it went on for months. (Because I am Irishly stubborn) I started having abdominal pain one night and could not stop vomiting. Went the ER they did a cat scan my band was in place but every lymph node in my abdomen was inflamed. There was also an unknown etiology inside my band and referred me to see my gastro. Lucky enough I had an appointment with him the following Monday because I had, had enough of this crap. The constant vomiting. Then came the labs. My tumor markers were high which he assumed I had lymphoma. He scheduled and endoscopy for that same week and inside my band was a blueberry that had petrified and as he placed air it would move from my stoma and when he stopped it would fall back into the stoma. The impression of my lap band was seen easily so he told me to go get it unfilled immediately it was too tight. I thought how could it be too tight with only 3cc's in it. He removed the blueberry and he said he would repeat the cat scan in three months and by a month and a half later I called him and I just couldn't wait. So fast forward I did not have lymphoma and everything turned out fine. Since I have had my band unfilled I have gained most of my weight back which will happen. My surgeon told me they don't recommend lap bands because they have a ten year 80% failure rate. This is only what my surgeon told me and it doesn't mean it will happen to you. Honestly even with the Fluid out I still have restriction. Eating is miserable. I just want this thing out. I doubt that I will have another surgery because being skinny didn't fix me. Being fat doesn't fix me. I was not happy being skinny. I am not happy being fat but its not a weight issue its a me issue and I could weigh 90lbs and still would be depressed. I would still have anxiety. I never had any medical issues that caused me to need the lap band. Being skinny didn't take away my fibromyalgia pain. I am just saying all this because people are not always fixable by weight loss. Do I feel guilty or feel like a failure hell no. It just wasn't right for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a quick comment I would like to make to back up what a lot of people are saying about the success of ANY bariatric surgery depends on the person, not the type of surgery you may or may not have undergone. None of us here (I don't think) are researchers in this area, and all of our comments are, of course, anecdotal. What happens to 1, 10, 100 of us does not mean a whole lot in the broader spectrum of statistical data.

That being said, I would like to add my little anecdote. I was banded in Feb. of 2015 and I have lost 80-ish lbs. I could be doing a lot better, but I get lazy and eat a lot of slider foods. I drink liquids with my meals pretty often. I also partake in alcoholic beverages occasionally, and my beverage of choice is beer. Overall, I am very happy with my success.

Then there is my sister. She had the gastric sleeve surgery last August or September and has not lost any weight (as far as I know) other than what she lost during the pre-op diet. She has a very stressful job, drinks alcohol almost every night, and gets up in the middle of the night and raids the fridge.

Two different people, two different lifestyles, and two different surgeries.

Edited by LuLu802
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P.S.: I did not add that hyperlinked text to my last post! It just showed up there on its own and I am NOT trying to advertise anything. *angryface*

Edited by LuLu802

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P.S.: I did not add that hyperlinked text to my last post! It just showed up there on its own and I am NOT trying to advertise anything. *angryface*


Yep. That’s why I type p rotein with a space. Lol.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very happy with my band, and my surgeon did all procedures, but based on my age and other factors he strongly suggested having the band, My insurance would have any of the weight loss procedures. There are three surgeons, and several APRNs handle the follow up visits. My wife had the sleeve, same surgeon,and she is expected to have follow visits and yearly blood work. My surgeon still does lap bands, based on the needs of that patient. If you go for low price, you may get what you pay for. There are Bariatric Centers of Excellence for a reason.

I seldom bother checking in or posting is because the forum has largely turned into a band bashing melee, and I suspect most other long time regulars have left for the reason. This was a great place when it catered only to lap banders. Now anyone with a lap band issue is assailed by VSG cultists.

Edited by labwalker
typo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone,

I am having the lapband placed in three weeks. I am so nervous. I will be coming to this forum for support. I am so glad to hear some success stories for the lapband.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'day,

I'm a newbie to the forum. Had my lapband a while ago but am 'rebooting' it before I consider revision surgery. Had some fill put in and am seriously sticking to the rules and have lost 7.5 kgs in a month so am pretty happy with that.

Nice to meet you all

(I'm Aussie but live in Ireland)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RebootedRachel said:

G'day,

I'm a newbie to the forum. Had my lapband a while ago but am 'rebooting' it before I consider revision surgery. Had some fill put in and am seriously sticking to the rules and have lost 7.5 kgs in a month so am pretty happy with that.

Nice to meet you all

(I'm Aussie but live in Ireland)

Good for you it is never too late to reboot. I am very grateful to have this tool and I need to do my part. I know what to do I just need to do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 4:56 PM, iluvbears42@yahoo.com said:

I just came here today to say my piece about band life. I had my lap band placed in 2009. The first five years were heaven. I never got a fill until a year out and got down to 160lbs. I only had 3cc's total in my band. For months at the five year mark I started vomiting. I could not eat solids they were coming right back up. I thought well maybe I will just try liquids for a few days and it went on for months. (Because I am Irishly stubborn) I started having abdominal pain one night and could not stop vomiting. Went the ER they did a cat scan my band was in place but every lymph node in my abdomen was inflamed. There was also an unknown etiology inside my band and referred me to see my gastro. Lucky enough I had an appointment with him the following Monday because I had, had enough of this crap. The constant vomiting. Then came the labs. My tumor markers were high which he assumed I had lymphoma. He scheduled and endoscopy for that same week and inside my band was a blueberry that had petrified and as he placed air it would move from my stoma and when he stopped it would fall back into the stoma. The impression of my lap band was seen easily so he told me to go get it unfilled immediately it was too tight. I thought how could it be too tight with only 3cc's in it. He removed the blueberry and he said he would repeat the cat scan in three months and by a month and a half later I called him and I just couldn't wait. So fast forward I did not have lymphoma and everything turned out fine. Since I have had my band unfilled I have gained most of my weight back which will happen. My surgeon told me they don't recommend lap bands because they have a ten year 80% failure rate. This is only what my surgeon told me and it doesn't mean it will happen to you. Honestly even with the Fluid out I still have restriction. Eating is miserable. I just want this thing out. I doubt that I will have another surgery because being skinny didn't fix me. Being fat doesn't fix me. I was not happy being skinny. I am not happy being fat but its not a weight issue its a me issue and I could weigh 90lbs and still would be depressed. I would still have anxiety. I never had any medical issues that caused me to need the lap band. Being skinny didn't take away my fibromyalgia pain. I am just saying all this because people are not always fixable by weight loss. Do I feel guilty or feel like a failure hell no. It just wasn't right for me.

I have to say mine has been quite successful. Yes, I need to lose more. 5 years now. Your body was telling you something very early on and your choice should have been to go to your Banding surgeon. They would have found the problem and dealt with it. I could be wrong but that sounds like the logical thing to do. I still go every 6 months and they do xrays to make sure all is still good.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Featured Surgeons

    1. Masoud Rezvani

      Woodbridge, Virginia 22191

    2. Lisa Medvetz

      Downingtown, Pennsylvania 19335
      800-282-0066

  • Recent Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • Ylime

      Snowing again today in Colorado...come on summer!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Mattymatt

      I am starting to really like physical activity! Just did a 30 minute hi-intensity cycle ride at LA Fitness. Yeah it was tough but it sure feels great afterwards. I feel like a completely new and different person; like the depression is starting to lift and I feel a renewed sense of motivation. I actually feel like getting my performance bicycle out of mothballs. I haven't ridden it in 5 years and right now I am so glad I did not get rid of it. I am going to get it over to the bike shop, tune it up, and get ready to ride. There is an event on August 25th, almost exactly 5 years to the day that I rode my first ever century ride, 100 miles. I marked it on my calendar and the training begins now! I need something to keep me on the straight and narrow, something to focus on. Even if I am the last rider at the finish line, I will be a winner.
      · 3 replies
      1. Chrisb428

        That is so great! I am looking forward to the things that will be so much easier to do this time next year (hopefully) Having something to look forward to amd work towards always makes it easier to get through the bad days. Good luck with your training, I'm sure u will be successful at it 😁

      2. Mattymatt

        I truly think success is a mindset and I am now setting my mind to the prize .... Shore Fire, baby!!!

      3. birdynz

        That is such a GREAT update - inspiring. In two weeks I go to China briefly, Work, and have to climb steps up a hillside to an ancient village. 250 I am told - 10 flights. So each day now I add a flight - and I thought THAT was good - your goal is fantastic!

    • istytehcrawk

      When I got dressed this morning, I realized I was wrong about the size of the jeans I got at Walmart the other day. They're not 26/28s; they're 24/26s! Which is even better, but also ridiculous because a pair of size 26 pants from the same brand were too small. The jeans have stretch, though, and the pants did not.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • karen_marie

      As of last Friday, I dropped back into Onderland!!! Can't believe it! Last time my weight started with a one was at least 10-15yrs ago. Pic from this Saturday with my hubby and his mom at our house warming party. Other pic is me at my heaviest last summer. The transformation blows me away! As a reward for hitting this big milestone, I'll be signing up for a horseback trail ride - the first one I've been able to do in over a decade due to weight restrictions. I'm sooo excited!! I'm also training for my first half marathon - ran my first 10k on Sunday  It's incredible what I'm able to do now, and everyday I'm thankful for this amazing tool that is helping me realize some big dreams.


      · 2 replies
      1. Sosewsue61

        Oh my gosh Karen Marie, you look amazing!! Way to go girl!!!

      2. Orchids&Dragons

        Congrats on one-derland! You look fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

    • Newme17

      So, getting finances in order, I managed to sell my 2016 Toyota Avalon. It was a beautiful car, of which surprisingly, I’m doing fine without and I actually don’t miss it; and also of which resulted in having a one-vehicle household, which resulted in me HAVING to walk 2.2 miles everyday 5x a week to get my daughter to school. I’m actually quite glad, I’m feeling better/stronger again, and I dropped almost $20,000 of debt. WIN-WIN! 
      · 5 replies
      1. Sleeve1stFitNext

        Awesome sauce!!!

      2. FluffyChix

        Yay!!! That's incredible on so many levels! Yay you! (You wouldn't have been able to do it if you didn't have the surgery and re-birth!"

        Maybe you should look at practicing your nutrition stuff from home?

      3. Creekimp13

        Car debt is the bane of my existence. Wont do it. And I love Toyota...I drive (and LOVE) my 2015 Camry...so I know how hard that was. Absolutely awesome you're getting the walking in, instead. Love that so much! Also teaches good habits to the kiddo....which is brilliant.

        Speaking of kiddo and cars..I've spent the last three months combing the web for a used car for my daughter. She has a summer job lined up here and needs a car to get to various labs and sample sites....and I won't let her go into more debt. (she has minimal student loans and will graduate next year with her microbiology degree)

        I found her a 2008 Malibu from Tennessee, clean inside and out...with just barely 100K on it...and I'm feeling incredibly accomplished. $3000, we paid cash :) CarFax is clean, mechanic said it was in great shape and she should get a few years out of it yet. Very common car with cheap parts if repairs are needed in the future. Previous owner did a valve job and replaced timing chain, and all maintenance was done at dealership. Brand new tires and brakes.

        It's parked in our driveway as we speak. Runs and sounds like brand new.

        I can't wait to see her face:)

      4. Mattymatt

        Well that's awesome! Keep up the good, positive work. :-)

      5. Newme17

        Lol. Cute...I like that “awesome sauce!” @Sleeve1stFitNext!

        @FluffyChix there’s so much that I probably wouldn’t have done if I didn’t have this surgery! I’m still so glad I did too. I seem to work better when being “forced” in to situations. Lol

        @Creekimp13, we’re Toyota lovers here. A former Avalon, and two former Tundras...currently on our third Tundra...and have always had a car payment! Ugh! We’re doing this Dave Ramsey program that’s making a lot of sense to us and so there went the Avalon. Also in the process of maybe getting a cash car...speaking of which, you were hugely blessed for what you found! Wow! That’s the kind of deal I want. I told the hubby not to buy one yet though, I’m enjoying the walks and the time with my kids walking. Definitely good habits being taught. 😊

        @Mattymatt thanks hon! Its hard to be in the dumps when there’s a win on both sides! Yay!!!

  • Trending Topics

  • Magazine Articles

  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs
    ×