Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

Not sure if most of you are aware but BariatricPal.com actually started off in 2003 as LapBandTalk.com! I've had Lap-Band surgery since 2003 and started this community the night I came home from my own Lap-Band surgery.

As mentioned in my recent article "Types of Bariatric Surgery: By the Numbers and What It Means" Lap-Band surgery has dropped 86.93% since 2011. There were still 7,310 new bands in 2016.

There isn't any perfect WLS. The band has been an awesome tool for me over the last 15 years. I've had minor complications along the way but nothing like the complications I'd have had walking around with an extra 100Lbs.

Hi, I have not been on forever and was never really much of a poster, but I have been coming back after having some problems and more importantly, getting them fixed (I think). I am going to try and check in more often!

On 11/28/2017 at 11:54 PM, shelld said:

I had mine 9/18 I go for first fill next week feeling nervous

On 12/15/2017 at 11:15 AM, raising3monkeys said:

I don't agree with their stance, either. The study they base this on was skewed; it was a very small group that was all from one area, and the devices are from so long ago that major improvements have been made in the materials used. On top of that, the surgeries they followed are from the very beginning of the lap-band approval time period, meaning that any doctor putting them in wouldn't have had a lot of experience. The need for removal can be from the surgeon placing the device improperly alone - so studying patients only from one area ups that chance.

In the end, lap-band patients are safer overall from major complications than sleeve or bypass patients. And over a 5-year span, their loss of excess weight is about the same. Sleeve and bypass patients lose faster than lap-band patients, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Slow and steady is a good thing - especially for your skin and bouncing back. Also for lifestyle change.

One of the things my doctor said to me was that if this doesn't work, then we look at other more drastic options later. If you go in with a splinter, they don't consider amputating the finger - they look at the smallest fix first. If the finger becomes infected beyond control, then you look at the larger, more drastic options. You don't jump ahead to something more dangerous and more permanent when you could do something safer and easier and get the same long-term results. That's my end game - permanent, long-term change. I'm willing to do it a bit at a time. I certainly didn't put all the weigh ton overnight. It seems foolish to try to take it off that way.

I don't begrudge anyone taking a chance on the more serious sleeve or bypass - to each his own. I just felt like stomach amputation was a bit extreme as a first step. I wanted something that could be a great tool - not something that I couldn't make choices with. I'm happy so far with my decision.

Hi, Kel! I was banded on 2/5/2015 and I did not start to feel any significant restriction 'til my second fill in mid-April. I still lost weight, but it really took off after that second fill. It will happen, I swear! I have lost ~80 lbs total over a little less than three years, and I still have a ways to go. Slow, yes, but that is what has worked for me.

Edited by LuLu802

Hi, am a newbie, banded on Nov 25th 17 Having my 1st fill on Jan 10th. No major issues so far,have had a few problems taking medication I also have Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid arthritis and the tablets getting stuck so have been sick or really just loads of foamy spit coming bk up. I live in Ireland and had to pay for this surgery privately and even though I had looked into the surgery I didn't realise how many people are against lapbands. Its kind of worrying as I'm thinking have I made a huge mistake. The lapband was all that I could have done here,I would have had to travel elsewere to have the sleeve or bypass. I hope some of you have had sucess stories with the band.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm back. My initial surgery was in 2009 and well, the first time around I failed. I lost weight, I gained it back and never ever achieved that Happy Spot fill level. I avoided my surgeon and years, pounds, diabetes, and high blood pressure later I am back.

Im currently at 8years out. I bit the bullet and returned to my surgeon for a upper GI and fill. My band was positioned correctly with 8cc's of restriction. I was given the thumbs up by my doc and ready to continue my journey.

My doctor was wonderful, understanding and supportive. He was forgiving and understanding. HIs reaction gave me the strength and confidence that well HELL, Let's give this another try, I can do this. I could tell he had this chat before.

All it took was one cc... yes I said one cc to make the difference in my restriction. Where has that 1cc of saline been all my life? I simply gave up 1 cc too soon. I thought it was over for me. I gave up on my band and me.

Week 1 starting over, let the journey begin. Lesson learned. Don't ever give up on your surgeon, the band or yourself, there is always tomorrow and I welcome it. 2 lbs. down.... I'm on my way to weight loss or the sleeve, but I'm giving this procedure one last shot.

S.

Hi everybody! So happy to see some life here! I was banded on 10/31 and I've only lost abput 20 lb. since pre-op. A bit disheartened but was told that I need to hit the right fill amount first ... Had one fill of 3 cc and going for my second on Tuesday. CANNOT WAIT. Haven't felt much restriction at all.

Best of luck...

this appears to me to a long term solution and it takes the right combination of fills. AND attitude.

This is us changing our behavior.

Last month I passed my 11 year mark. I am very proud to have kept off 70 lbs .... it was 85-90 lbs and it is not now, since I am almost unfilled.... thought I knew.... hmmm

I need a fill to start the year right My dr just retired so I am switching... and I feel like a dinosaur looking for a band dr.

glad to see they are still effective for many... regardless of what you read!

happy start of a wonderful year!

Hi all! How delightful to see everyone posting again and hearing all the stories of success and advice!

I've been banded for 21 months now, I've lost 10.5 stone . I'm feeling the best I ever have and don't look back for one minute!!

I had a hellish journey and for the first three months I regretted my decision due to extreme left shoulder pain from where my band was catching on my diaphragm and It was messing with the nerve. I slept sitting up right for the whole time

With a hot water bottle on the front of my shoulder and heat mat on the back. I even went to the surgeon to remove it. But thank god the more weight I lost the more the band shifted and touch wood I've never had it since!

I'm so glad I made the decision to make this journey and it's amazing to hear

Other people's! Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone
I was handed on December 12, 2017. I have been feeling great, no complications and headed to have my first fill at the end of next week. Between the pre-op shakes and after surgery I am down 36lbs. I’m just looking for more tips and advice as I got. It seems many of the recent forums are people disappointed with their band. I am just wondering what to expect during the fills and would love to hear more success stories. Thanks

Thanks for starting this thread Julie. I'm a reformed Lapbandtalk/Bariatricpal addict. I'll be posting here more often again. Been away enjoying being nearly skinny for a few years.

Some heart problems caused me to not exercise for a while and I've gained some back. Got a refill yesterday so I'm spunky to get back to dropping some lbs. Been on Atkins since the 3rd and dropped about 7 lbs. Mostly Water loss of course. Now comes the hard part.

Now that I've depleted a lot of the glycogen in my body I'll only be looking at 1-1.5 lbs per week and sometimes nadda per week. It's still easier than no band at all.

Looking forward to this new year.

Newbie here, I'm scheduled for band over bypass on 1/19/18 and I am extremely excited to start my journey. I was very successful with Gastric Bypass for over 6 years kept off 179 lbs. I've gained 80 in the past 2 years and I was becoming increasingly disappointed in myself. I finally took charge and went on a revision consult. The results showed my stoma stretched not my pouch and the food was emptying too quickly into the small intestine. So I am an ideal candidate for the band over bypass. My surgeon was very encouraging stating this will give me the restriction again. I'm surprised at how many negative thoughts and views are on this particular surgery. It's discouraging to so many on their band journey. Thanks for this forum.

Shannon,

You should have a much higher possibility of success since you've lived the bariatric life for so long. Too many lap banders did poorly because they couldn't make the adjustment to eating the band way. There were a significant number of patients whose bodies just didn't accept the band too.

Mostly esophageal incidents, slips, dilations and poor eating habits caused most of the incidents. But you should have expectations more in line with how we banders live. Good luck.

13 hours ago, 2muchfun said:

Shannon,

You should have a much higher possibility of success since you've lived the bariatric life for so long. Too many lap banders did poorly because they couldn't make the adjustment to eating the band way. There were a significant number of patients whose bodies just didn't accept the band too.

Mostly esophageal incidents, slips, dilations and poor eating habits caused most of the incidents. But you should have expectations more in line with how we banders live. Good luck.

Thank you! Means a lot. I have to say I was getting discouraged reading some other forums but coming here reassured me there is successful stories and it can work. Not afraid of doing the work and sticking too it. I know what caused my weight gain and it was my responsibility. Carbonation and calories. Period. I'm ready! Thanks to all of you, I appreciate this place to share.

I am back. :)

After being in bed most of the last 2 years due to chronic daily Migraines (probably worsened because of going into menopause hormone changes), I find myself having to start over again. I have no issues with my lapband, I just have to do my part again.

On 12/15/2017 at 12:15 PM, raising3monkeys said:

I don't agree with their stance, either. The study they base this on was skewed; it was a very small group that was all from one area, and the devices are from so long ago that major improvements have been made in the materials used. On top of that, the surgeries they followed are from the very beginning of the lap-band approval time period, meaning that any doctor putting them in wouldn't have had a lot of experience. The need for removal can be from the surgeon placing the device improperly alone - so studying patients only from one area ups that chance.

In the end, lap-band patients are safer overall from major complications than sleeve or bypass patients. And over a 5-year span, their loss of excess weight is about the same. Sleeve and bypass patients lose faster than lap-band patients, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Slow and steady is a good thing - especially for your skin and bouncing back. Also for lifestyle change.

One of the things my doctor said to me was that if this doesn't work, then we look at other more drastic options later. If you go in with a splinter, they don't consider amputating the finger - they look at the smallest fix first. If the finger becomes infected beyond control, then you look at the larger, more drastic options. You don't jump ahead to something more dangerous and more permanent when you could do something safer and easier and get the same long-term results. That's my end game - permanent, long-term change. I'm willing to do it a bit at a time. I certainly didn't put all the weigh ton overnight. It seems foolish to try to take it off that way.

I don't begrudge anyone taking a chance on the more serious sleeve or bypass - to each his own. I just felt like stomach amputation was a bit extreme as a first step. I wanted something that could be a great tool - not something that I couldn't make choices with. I'm happy so far with my decision.

There are dozens of studies globally that all say the same thing. complications that require revisions (read surgeries) of some sort range in the 30-50% range by 10 years out. it is why the rate of banding dropped to less than 5% now and it is banned in some countries. Until the "newer" bands have been around for 10 years, no one will be able to predict whether the pharma marketing claims are true (hopefully they are, but nobody can say that yet). all procedures have advancements over the years. the data is what it is aged, in every single case for all surgeries (by about 10 years to be viably trusted). Frankly at revision rates of 30-50%, the long term band complications are significantly higher than other bariatric surgeries. Having said that, this means 50-70% are still revision free at 10 years, so issues are not a foregone conclusion. So if you are symptom free and successful, enjoy it and don't worry about it. I had a great 3 years with the band before mine went bad.

My advice though is this. if you start to have issues, don't do what I did and many others and ignore the symptoms, make excuses for it and stick your head in the sand. get them addressed and fast. If they aren't resolving, remove it before it is too late to have other options. The band is sold as low complication and virtually consequence free, that is simply not true. Yes it is reversible, but it does permanent damage in many cases. it stretches the esophagus over time and can cause reflux (which can lead to cancer), cause adhesions to other organs (my hospital roommate spent 4 hours longer than me in surgery with 2 surgeons removing the adhesions from the band to his liver and intestines. many have slips or erosion. Just make sure you are being your own best advocate for your health, and act to resolve issues, they will not go away on their own.