Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

I just had an orientation for Bariatric surgery. The dr that gave the seminar stated that lap bands are being phased out slowly because too many patients are coming back with issues from either the lap band or new issues arise from it and they have to go through revision surgery.

I am undecided as to which surgery I’ll be going with but I definitely do not want to do any revisions later down the road.

How long have you all had yours?

Mila

2 minutes ago, 1Mila said:

I just had an orientation for Bariatric surgery. The dr that gave the seminar stated that lap bands are being phased out slowly because too many patients are coming back with issues from either the lap band or new issues arise from it and they have to go through revision surgery.

I am undecided as to which surgery I’ll be going with but I definitely do not want to do any revisions later down the road.

Mila

i wouldn't wish a lapband on my worst enemy. I had complications which did permanent damage. buyer beware. if you don't want a revision down the road, i'd avoid a lap band. Your chance of a revision by year 10 is about 50% with a band. and they aren't being phased out slowly. they very rapidly dropped from the most popular surgery to less than 5% due to the complication rates. I had mine 11 years. I only had 3 years complication free.

i wouldn't wish a lapband on my worst enemy. I had complications which did permanent damage. buyer beware. if you don't want a revision down the road, i'd avoid a lap band. Your chance of a revision by year 10 is about 50% with a band. and they aren't being phased out slowly. they very rapidly dropped from the most popular surgery to less than 5% due to the complication rates. I had mine 11 years. I only had 3 years complication free.

Thank you for sharing! I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely do not want revisions down the road.. the more I read the more I’m leaning towards the VSG RNY ..I’ve been reading and researching which option I’m deciding on. My Dr isn’t a fan of the lap band and is recommending (case by case basis) which option to go with. Told him I was interested in going with the VSG method. I have a few appointments lined up.. he said I would have to be cleared from having GERD. Says most patients have worsened symptoms after surgery if they have a history of GERD.. also, I have a history of gallbladder problems [emoji57]

It’s Stressful thinking about the appointments coming up.. 12 appointments total. Just started getting into the habit of writing down what I eat via Baritastic app... do you have any advice on what the easiest way to remember in writing things down either on paper or in app? I keep forgetting (I guess stuff like this is probably part of the reason I got this way) I also started walking 5,000-10,000 steps a day.. slowly increasing.. it’s a work in progress but I’m determined and looking forward to lifetime success.

Mila

Hi Mila,

I’m four years out today with no complications. And my GERD went away after s urgery.

Oh and I like MyFitnessPal for logging.

5 hours ago, 1Mila said:

Mila

I had my 4 cc ban put in September 2007, the only problem I had with my band was when it was to tight. For me I cannot have more than 1 cc of Fluid in my band. I firmly believe that without this tool I would now be over 400 lbs.

What ever surgery you choose is not as important as the commitment to a total Change in lifestyle to allow the tool to assist you in your life journey.

Hello it’s been years since I have written anything or commented. I had a lap band in 7/2012 & removed 8/13 due to nausea, choking& vomiting. Extreme psi entire time where port was ! This was a hard year. I vowed never to revisit Bariatric surgery again. Well - I started a new journey oct of 2017.... now on the road to a sleeve procedure my 6 months is up in April ... I am a nervous wreck but I have many health reason to try to do this!!! I will keep you updated. I personally would never recommend a lap band But that being said it had worked for some .. best future to all!!

On 3/13/2018 at 3:08 PM, 1Mila said:

Thank you for sharing! I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Definitely do not want revisions down the road.. the more I read the more I’m leaning towards the VSG RNY ..I’ve been reading and researching which option I’m deciding on. My Dr isn’t a fan of the lap band and is recommending (case by case basis) which option to go with. Told him I was interested in going with the VSG method. I have a few appointments lined up.. he said I would have to be cleared from having GERD. Says most patients have worsened symptoms after surgery if they have a history of GERD.. also, I have a history of gallbladder problems

It’s Stressful thinking about the appointments coming up.. 12 appointments total. Just started getting into the habit of writing down what I eat via Baritastic app... do you have any advice on what the easiest way to remember in writing things down either on paper or in app? I keep forgetting (I guess stuff like this is probably part of the reason I got this way) I also started walking 5,000-10,000 steps a day.. slowly increasing.. it’s a work in progress but I’m determined and looking forward to lifetime success.

Mila

I found an ap the easiest. ive never used Baritastic, but myfitnesspal can save meals and allows you to copy over days or meals at a time. I found that a real time saver as i often repeat the same meals. 10,000 steps a day is what i did. You've got this!

Will be 10 yrs St. Pat's Day. Lost 90 lbs. Never had a complication. Never abused it. Went to a teaching hospital w/very experienced surgeons. Have read all the studies over the last 10 yrs. Has the worst outcomes and the most complications for all the WL surg but the complications are more minor than the others and band is only 1 that is reversible. I had to learn a lot and be very persistent. Took me longer to lose. There's no guarantee that you won't need/want a revision with any of the WL surgeries - see the other forums and read about them. I have friends who have had bands, sleeves, and by-passes who have all regained everything and given up. But I have friends who have bands, sleeves, and by-passes who are doing fine. My best advice is to pick the one that sounds best you and then work that program. It's not easy - but I'll tell you this: 1 don't have high blood pressure anymore. My cholesterol is great. No pills. No medical problems anymore. Joints don't hurt anymore. Climb stairs. Had several cosmetic surgeries and love buying great vintage clothes. Love having so many people tell me how good I look. Walking on the edge of the ocean at 66 yrs. Just pick a WL surg and then dedicate yourself to it body and soul. Best wishes.

10/2014 was my band surgery...from 250 to 136.

So far so good....knock on wood 😉 I eat a ton of Protein, drink lots of Water and exercise everyday.

Some things took a while to learn, can usually not eat till afternoon. Gotta chew....a lot. And nothing to drink with my meal.

But all in all I wouldn't change anything

10/2014 was my band surgery...from 250 to 136. So far so good....knock on wood [emoji6] I eat a ton of Protein, drink lots of Water and exercise everyday.

Some things took a while to learn, can usually not eat till afternoon. Gotta chew....a lot. And nothing to drink with my meal.

But all in all I wouldn't change anything

[/quote

This is Jules now. I’m in another’s post. Oh well!

I’m so happy to hear of long term banders. I’m clear it only works for less than 1/2 of the people.

I do like that it is adjustable and can be removed. Fairly certain the other WL

Surgeries cannot be “undone”.

We all are struggling to have a healthy life..... no matter which method we try.

Lapband has been great for me. I am about as healthy as anyone I know, on no medications. Had band 12/31/2006 with never any problems. I keep my band tight so my diet is restrictive which I need. I will be retiring end of May am 66 and plan on doing a lot of biking. For my retirement present I bought a really nice bike. I try and do at least 1 century every year (100 miles) and bike several thousand miles a year. I never would be able to do that without having this surgery and getting my health under control. For me it has worked great as a tool. I still work at being healthy every day. It is just a tool. Love my life.

I like that it was less evasive than other surgeries. Everyone needs to decide on what works best for them.

Lapband has been great for me. I am about as healthy as anyone I know, on no medications. Had band 12/31/2006 with never any problems. I keep my band tight so my diet is restrictive which I need. I will be retiring end of May am 66 and plan on doing a lot of biking. For my retirement present I bought a really nice bike. I try and do at least 1 century every year (100 miles) and bike several thousand miles a year. I never would be able to do that without having this surgery and getting my health under control. For me it has worked great as a tool. I still work at being healthy every day. It is just a tool. Love my life.
I like that it was less evasive than other surgeries. Everyone needs to decide on what works best for them.

Lovely to see other banders! And one from 06..... makes me hopeful
Some of you may know our founder of this site, Alex, who has had a band for 15 years, just had his removed.
Sigh. He was the leader of the band pack!!
I’m another happy bander going on 12 years. Yikes. I have hope.

Julie, I didn’t know Alex had it removed. Did he revise to sleeve?

Working on 8 years myself. I had an issue in April of last year that required the removal of all my Fluid. Went nuts with all the foods I decided to have that I couldn't before. 50 lbs. later I got fluid put back in and now working on getting that 50 off. So far I have about 13 lbs. off. Gotta get back to weight for the wedding. :)

Julie, I found the article. Thanks for the heads up.