Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disappearing lapbanders

Yes autumn that’s what I was told by doc. I followed everything to the tee for band. Quick recovery never issues for two years. I was active CrossFit lifting ridiculous amounts of weight. I had to shell out another 15k cash for Sleeve so I wish the band worked for me ):

Wow, that's insane. Hope the sleeve is doing a better job for you!

On 12/15/2017 at 12:15 PM, raising3monkeys said:

I don't agree with their stance, either. The study they base this on was skewed; it was a very small group that was all from one area, and the devices are from so long ago that major improvements have been made in the materials used. On top of that, the surgeries they followed are from the very beginning of the lap-band approval time period, meaning that any doctor putting them in wouldn't have had a lot of experience. The need for removal can be from the surgeon placing the device improperly alone - so studying patients only from one area ups that chance.

In the end, lap-band patients are safer overall from major complications than sleeve or bypass patients. And over a 5-year span, their loss of excess weight is about the same. Sleeve and bypass patients lose faster than lap-band patients, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Slow and steady is a good thing - especially for your skin and bouncing back. Also for lifestyle change.

One of the things my doctor said to me was that if this doesn't work, then we look at other more drastic options later. If you go in with a splinter, they don't consider amputating the finger - they look at the smallest fix first. If the finger becomes infected beyond control, then you look at the larger, more drastic options. You don't jump ahead to something more dangerous and more permanent when you could do something safer and easier and get the same long-term results. That's my end game - permanent, long-term change. I'm willing to do it a bit at a time. I certainly didn't put all the weigh ton overnight. It seems foolish to try to take it off that way.

I don't begrudge anyone taking a chance on the more serious sleeve or bypass - to each his own. I just felt like stomach amputation was a bit extreme as a first step. I wanted something that could be a great tool - not something that I couldn't make choices with. I'm happy so far with my decision.

Exactly!! I have the same sentiments. I just had a tube and port replacement that was torn during a previous surgery and due to my insurance at that time it wasn’t caught and was gaining all my weight back since I had no restriction. Finally back on my journey!! My current Bariatric surgeon actually recommended repair instead of removal and revision. His view was if it was successful when you had it working, give it another shot before something more drastic.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:29 PM, Happy Sleever said:

Yes autumn that’s what I was told by doc. I followed everything to the tee for band. Quick recovery never issues for two years. I was active CrossFit lifting ridiculous amounts of weight. I had to shell out another 15k cash for Sleeve so I wish the band worked for me 😞

This has me worried. I’ve got my op on the 17th and the main drive behind my weight loss was to get back on the rugby pitch. I did ask the dr if this would be possible with a band and he said “sure 100%” now I’m worried I might move it and cause myself some of the problems other people have had

Thanks monkey.... it is a breath of fresh air to read how many of us enjoy NonInvasive surgery.
It does and can work for many.
I feel it took years for my band to train ME... and we don’t disagree much. Years and years have helped indelibly imprint my lifestyle thanks again

On 4/12/2019 at 2:24 PM, Julie norton said:

Thanks monkey.... it is a breath of fresh air to read how many of us enjoy NonInvasive surgery.
It does and can work for many.
I feel it took years for my band to train ME... and we don’t disagree much. Years and years have helped indelibly imprint my lifestyle thanks again

Still feeling good about my recession to have the Lapband.

Keeps me humble. Just need to keep making more good choices than bad choices.

I've recently had lap band surgery. I go for my first fill today. I haven't lost much weight and feel a little disappointed. I expected differently. Will things change after my first fill? Did I make the right decision getting the band?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using BariatricPal mobile app

4 hours ago, loved1too said:

I've recently had lap band surgery. I go for my first fill today. I haven't lost much weight and feel a little disappointed. I expected differently. Will things change after my first fill? Did I make the right decision getting the band?

Keep in mind that your body is still recovering from surgery and the pre-op diet. It is not at all unusual for things to move a bit slowly right after surgery. Stalls at this point are normal. Also keep in mind that you have no Fluid in your band, so your restriction is minimal right now. Be patient. Trust me, once things settle, you will start seeing progress.

5 hours ago, loved1too said:

It took me a few months to start losing. I had to change doctors to get a fill. as the surgery doctor said I didn't need fills. He said most of his patients lost just fine without them. ???? Not me. But once I got my fills, I started losing. This is the time to train your body to eat right so when you are healed you can lose.

Hey I'm here with you!! I have the lap band! I am only a week and 4 days post op... Was able to transition to Mushy foods!!

That's expected with the band you lose weight slower than you would with sleeve or bypass.

You will have to put in some work!

Sent from my SM-G935T using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi all so glad a few are around still , I was banded 10/2012 ,but recently started again after having all Fluid removed from band approx 18mths ago , two refills so far , 4mls in 10ml band at present . I had band as wanted less invasive surgery , not been an easy ride but hope this time to reach my goal . Good luck all

bump

I too am very pleased that I took the chance on the Lap band back in September 2007

With my wife on the a dinner cruise on the Star of Honolulu

IMG_2374.thumb.jpeg.cd79269cec8207c4c4b59a61b9f2605c.jpeg

I did not read most of the replies, but I previously had a band in 2010. I chose it because it was “least invasive”, or so I thought. I lost allllllllllll of my weigh with it beautifully, followed all the rules etc. After two back to back deaths I couldn’t eat anything & was put on liquids a week. Following that, I began throwing up from eating + ultimately ended with a slip. It was VERY hard finding a revision surgeon. Even my original surgeon (a top bariatric surgeon in ATL) no longer performs the band surgery. I finally found a surgeon I loved, but he also refused and equated it to “ walking around with an iPhone 3 in 2019 when technology has surpassed it”. All of my fave 7 banders, besides 2 , have also said goodbye to the band. I, for one, LOVED my band and am in no way trying to discourage anyone. I am simply speaking my truth and sharing the opinions of other surgeons. I believe that complications and advances in medicine may contribute to the decline in banders..... I successfully revised to the MGB.