Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does pure protein 100%whey good to use for my pre op

Okay so my doctor which is my surgeon told me tonstsrt on my live shrinkage early this month on September 25 will be my last appointment remind you with the insurance I have i had to go see my doctor at least one a month which came up to 6 visits and every little thing he asked me to do nutritionist dietitian whatever you wanna call it and psychologist now I'm on my last month haven't went and seen him yet but he wanted me to start on my preop he told me to get muscle milk or premier drink but went to Walmart and they had they premier in fours so how many would I have to get and then I seen this pure Protein 100%whey on the shelve powder form so I was like I should try this one because its powder and it will last me he told me to do as a replacement for my Breakfast and lunch he didnt mention this one though he mentioned the other was so I'm asking did I get a good one it taste okay I dont like chocolate I'm an vanilla fan but I went to Walmart today and seen the premier but it was 7 something for four but I dont know how many to get but the one I have its okay at first alil bloated but I dont got use to the taste alil bit but ive been exercising i called my doc they said its a good one the one I had gotten so do anybody else think I should stick to this one I guess I'm on liver shrinkage diet and in just had bought diet cranberry juices and Water and skim I'm trying but did anyone else start early like me

Sent from my LGMS210 using BariatricPal mobile app

Welcome!

Basically the point of a liver-shrink diet is to make surgery safer for you. The best way to make this happen is to go on a very strict diet for a period of time before surgery.

The diet needs to be very low carbohydrate and very low fat. Pretty much just Protein and non-starchy vegetables (no fat added to the veggies).

Using the Protein Powder is a good idea for saving money. Mixing the powder into 8oz skim milk twice a day is the simplest way to make your shakes. You can also blend it up with skim milk and ice. sugar free flavoring syrups (like you'd add to coffee) can add flavor.

This is a good time to get used to reading labels. Look at calories, fat, carbohydrate, and protein content. You are learning skills now that will help you for the rest of your life.

Good luck!

Yes there's many kinds of Protein. It may be easier to use the pre made shakes but it's much more beneficial and cheaper to buy a good Protein Powder, but you have to read labels and find the one with most protein per serve with lowest carbs sugar and fats..

If money is no object then go for whey isolate

But whey concentrate is fine unless you have lactose intolerance.

With powder you can mix it with Water or milk or even yoghurt it will last longer than a shake drink and shouldn't cost more than $35 four 1kg which will make 30 shakes at $1 a shake.

Most people I know choose Optifast but my doctor said any good quality protein will be fine and I looked at optifast it had too much sugar for me!

Also after the operation you will still need protein powder whilst on liquids for a few weeks but some still use it long term :)