Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Vegetarian Life

The thing is everyone is worried about Protein, protein, but really as long as you are eating a WFPB diet, avoiding most processed foods (not eating junk and sugar) , your body will take care of itself.

Honestly I am getting to the point where I am ready to stop worrying about my macro balances. I know I am eating as healthy as I can and I am improving my variety of whole plant based foods every week. Yes there may be weeks where I am deficient in one mineral, Vitamin, or whatever, but over time it will all balance out.

I'm concerned to hear you say this. Veg heads HAVE to pay attention. If a simple source of Protein is included daily, then the day to day food plan isn't necessary. Drink 2 (30g) Protein Shakes a day and the rest of the time you can eat grains, fruit, and salad without having to think about it.

Or 1 Protein Shake and 7oz tofu every day.

But the idea of not counting is for those with normally sized stomachs. They can eat 3 or 4 pounds of food a day... and their natural appetites will make them hungry and do so.

I can eat 4oz at a time. 4 meals makes 1 pound. In a year or two, I'll eat 8oz at a time.. 4 meals makes 2lbs.

2 pounds of Beans or tofu has 64g of protein. 1 pound of beans or tofu has 32g protein.

I have found zero sources that indicate it's ok for an average height female to consume fewer than 46g of protein a day. Which is 1.5 pounds of beans.. more than I can eat in a day.

Granted, nuts are a more concentrated source, so adding a couple ounces of nuts decreases the amount of beans required.

But if you fill up on lettuce, spinach, apples, tomatoes, and potatoes.. and avoid protein shakes.. it.just.won't.work.

I got distracted by the counting Protein issue..

I actually got back on here to say I looked up more about soy, and I'm willing to go back on what I said. The studies where soy was linked with causing problems were flawed (imho), so eating moderate amounts of non-gmo soy in tofu or plain bean form shouldn't be a problem.

I feel the same way about processed soy as I do about other processed proteins... which is to say, "to each his own" .. figure out what is right for YOU.

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

I'm concerned to hear you say this. Veg heads HAVE to pay attention. If a simple source of Protein is included daily, then the day to day food plan isn't necessary. Drink 2 (30g) Protein Shakes a day and the rest of the time you can eat grains, fruit, and salad without having to think about it.

Or 1 Protein Shake and 7oz tofu every day.

Don't worry @Berry78. I guess I could have worded that better than I did. I start my day out with a shake which is 20g Protein so that gives me a jump everyday. I guess I just want to eat food, healthy food, and not protein, or a fat, or a carb, you get me?

I do plan my meals out roughly for the week and I am still tracking, but I am not stressing about being down 10g of Protein One day.Or I should say I don't want to stress about that because honestly I feel good.

23 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Don't worry @Berry78. I guess I could have worded that better than I did. I start my day out with a shake which is 20g Protein so that gives me a jump everyday. I guess I just want to eat food, healthy food, and not Protein, or a fat, or a carb, you get me?

I do plan my meals out roughly for the week and I am still tracking, but I am not stressing about being down 10g of Protein One day.Or I should say I don't want to stress about that because honestly I feel good.

I'm not a vet or medical professional, but I did study biochemistry and biology (not that it means crap). But as I understand, you don't "store" protein for a rainy day. Amino acids are scavenged and recycled daily in addition to the dietary protein we consume each day.

So when we are losing weight, we liberate amino acids--sometimes from reducing our body bulk (getting rid of Proteins that are injured or are no longer needed (ie excess muscle bulk that is lost as part of general weight loss, excess vascular networks et al)) or injured proteins.

So unlike fat, there really isn't a "protein pantry" where we go to get the extra 12.9g of protein we're short on from our diet for that day. At some point, it will start catabolizing very important and necessary proteins from major muscles and organs.

My understanding is that you will feel good, until one day when you no longer will feel good. Then it actually may be too late or will be very hard to repair the condition. Rebuilding LBM/protein is no easy feat. And, it get's harder with every year.

Just my 2cents that isn't worth very much. I'm just a pre-surg noob science nerd.

You should read the book The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Dr. Phinney & Volek. It's an excellent explanation into sports physiology especially.

Edited by FluffyChix

I totally "get" not wanting to count every little thing every day. I really do! This is why it's a good idea to have these in depth conversations NOW, so you can figure out how to plan out your day so that you don't have to plan out your days to come.

Double up on your shakes, then forget it. It's not like you have to worry about getting TOO much Protein from your food choices.

47 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

some point, it will start catabolizing very important and necessary Proteins from major muscles and organs.

By the time this started happening I would be starving. I am not and don't plan to be any time soon...lol..

I know we can become fat adapted and burn fat for fuel while running. I have read up on some of that. I run in the morning so that I will burn fat and that is why I run slow most of the time.

However, I have no further desire to eat a low carb diet. Burning carbs for fuel is a natural process that our bodies were designed to do. So I'll just let my body keep doing what it is doing well. If I ever have a problem again with my BS then I'll reevaluate.

Agreed. I was a little unnerved that she flat out would not talk about it now but I understand that she's following instructions by the surgeon. At this point in my pre-op (7-ish weeks out) she says I'm not allowed to count veggie Protein towards my daily goals - only meat.

Sounds crazy to me...but she knows more thern me. Just keep doing your best. Do not beat yourself up over mistakes. Live and learn.....

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Ok, first off, thank you very much for making this post. It got me to go look up tofu and seitan.. and those led me to tempeh.
I'm dismayed that tofu has so little Protein. It has the same amount of protein as straight up Beans and lentils, but being an unfermented soy product, there are potential health issues with it.
Seitan is an extremely concentrated source of protein.. but it is wheat gluten. Gluten is a highly allergenic type of protein, and frequent over-exposure could, in theory, trigger allergy where none existed before.
Tempeh is apparently where its at. It is fermented soy, which is apparently safer than unfermented, and it is concentrated.. about twice the protein as that of beans and lentils.
Fish, of course, is concentrated protein as well. On days you eat 4oz of fish, you simply add a cup of lentils and 2oz of nuts, and you've met your requirements for the day. What? Room for leafy veggies??! Amazing! Lol.
Tempeh doesn't have quite the protein of fish, so you'll need 1.5 cups lentils and 2oz nuts. Still not too bad.

Thanks berry. I made this group because as an ovo vegetarian and picky eater it is hard for me to get the healthy protein foods. I can eat/deal with very few foods at a time and get sick of it in months. As the only vegetarian in the wls group a t office I didn't have the support or knowledge to succeed in the weight loss journey. If I knew then what I know now it would be different. I just don't want othets to make same wrong choices I did. Vegetarian/vegan/meat eaters....we can all be there supporting eachother.[emoji16]

I am SOOOOO proud of myself today!!! Went to Walmart and got a few things. Because I dont drive we sit in at McDs until it is time for bus. I usually get the bkfst w/o meat or the big mac w/o meat. Today I bought a salad at walmart but when we got to McDs(inside Walmart) i just got a side salad and a coffee! Best of all I didn't eat the entire salad. Lol I even used my own dressing I bought at Wal-Mart.