Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your reason for your obesity

I never had a food addiction, so I can't blame that. To be honest, it was a lack of personal responsibility and care for who I was as person. I kept putting off my will to do better and days became months, months became years...and 400 pds later, I had that "Ah ha" moment.

The title pretty much says it all [emoji28]
I'm curious what caused your obesity and how did the people react around you

Genetic pre-disposition, childhood trauma and using food to cope, compounded by a thyroid disorder.

30 minutes ago, CJ Sunshine said:

Genetic pre-disposition, childhood trauma and using food to cope, compounded by a thyroid disorder.

I joined 23andMe and per my DNA setup, it said I had a pre-disposition to obesity. I was adopted and was curious to find some things out, the only thing I know is my grandmother had high blood pressure. Assuming she was an overweight woman, that may be why.

Doc calls it genetic predisposition. I stopped being really active, but never really lost the eating habits that I had when I was athletic. And emotional eating. Never really a food addiction, but poor Portion Control and a more sedentary lifestyle.

Genetics. Loving food and finishing my plate made for a 6'2" 225 pound man and I am not even 5' tall, Portion Control. Lack of exercise. Having a black and white attitude about weight loss - like if I gained a little I would feel like a failure and then give up or if I screwed up a day. Thankfully I gave up "dieting." I want to embrace it more as a way of life rather than thinking I am on weight watchers and it is a lose or fail every week I weigh in. Does that make sense?

Exercise is back in my life but weight loss will make a big difference in how I can exercise because I have a back injury. I look forward to being more athletic.

Bad habits, bad habits, bad habits...

genetics and hormones.

I was chubby as a kid but sort of grew out of that and was more or less okay until my late 20s, when I had a car accident and hurt my back. Coincidentally, used the insurance settlement to buy a car, so stopped having to walk--I could drive. Sedentary lifestyle, carb addiction (and I always remembered my mother's answer when I was young and hungry: have a piece--or two--of bread and butter), and, unlike most of the posters on here, I haven't felt embarrassed or ashamed by who I am--I just don't let others' reactions affect me much. That doesn't mean I can't see how much better my life (and health) might be if I can lose my excess weight! It's hard to see the end of the road here at the very beginning of it, though . . .

I'm the trifecta of MO=genetics+pharmaceuticals+founding member & the President of the Clean Plate Club=325lbs at my "most robust."

1. Genetic predisposition...my maternal grandmother was 400+ pounds well before the modern-day obesity epidemic, and my mother was obese. Many of the women on my mother's side of the family are overweight or obese.
  2. Hypothyroidism and certain medications that promote weight gain
  3. Insulin resistance (it caused insatiable hunger for me)
  4. Poor lifestyle choices such as chronic yo-yo dieting, bad food choices, overeating, frequent fast food runs, etc.

Genetics for me also -- my father was more than 550 pounds when he died. I was already big as a toddler, and as a child showed signs of significant insulin resistance (acanthosis nigricans). Starting at about 6 years old, I was on restrictive diet after diet, which threw me into rebellious secret eating by about age 10 and then full blown binge eating disorder shortly after. I was about 260 pounds in my early 20s and then got very depressed and gained about 120 pounds in 18 months. (I'm only 5 feet tall.) I've been stable at about 20 pounds below that, 360 pounds, for years, but my mobility and health are really declining now. Depression really does not help at all. Thankfully, I've finally been on a good combination of medications for depression for the last year, and I believe the improvement in my mood is what has driven me toward the possibility of surgery. I want a more active life than I can lead right now. But binge eating disorder still rears its head, so I have to contend with that as I begin the surgery journey.

The title pretty much says it all
I'm curious what caused your obesity and how did the people react around you

Less than 24 hours; I am nervous, determined, inspired, and hungry!!
HW 251 CW 236 GW 160

genetics
Bad eating habits starting at childhood ; generation to generation leading to an over indulgent palate.
lacking consistent exercises after I started driving and stopped playing tennis.

Less than 24 hours; I am nervous, determined, inspired, and hungry!!
HW 251 CW 236 GW 160

1. Putting myself last on the list of things and people I had to take care of, everything else came first.

2. Poor food choices - fast food, sweets, junk - anything that was convenient because I was too busy to slow down and make healthier meals.

3. Emotional binge eating. I could eat a lot, and rarely did I feel full. All the while I knew I was eating too much, but couldn't seem to help myself, the hunger or need for something to soothe me was always there.