Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

? For Band to Sleeve revisions....

I had a band to sleeve revision almost 6 months ago. As for pain post op, I was in less pain, though the band was my first ever surgery. I took pain meds for three days then. For the sleeve I didn't take anything after the first night. Although I did stay in the hospital 2 days due to nausea. And I did have some nausea weeks 2-4.

As for restriction. It is so much different than with the band. A few bites with the band and I'd be in pain, but then I could eat anything. I never found my sweet spot. With the sleeve, no pain from being stuck, just an uncomfortable feeling if I ate to much. I'm much happier with the sleeve

I'm a slow loser, not terribly, but slower than a lot of people on here. Like I said I'm almost 6 months out and including my pre op im just under 50lbs lost.

Would I go back to the band, hell no, or would I ever recommend it to anyone, no way. The band is horrible and I don't know why it's still used. Do I regret having the sleeve, not a bit, only that I didn't revise sooner, maybe I would not have gained back everything I lost with the band .

Hi NolzGirl-

I did my revision back in 2012 so it has been awhile. I remember thinking that the recovery took slightly longer than the LapBand. I did not experience pain as much as I was simply tired and I wanted to jump right back into life. I should have been kind to myself and taken the suggested time off to recover fully. You are doing this for yourself so be kind to yourself. REST AND RELAX. It feels self-indulgent but ENJOY!

What was bizarre is how eerie it felt not to want to eat. I never imagined that I would have to force myself to eat- but I did. Setting an alarm to remind yourself to eat was such a foreign concept and yet it was necessary in the beginning. Drinking liquids was hard to do, too! Crazy to think but its true. It took almost a year before I truly felt bariatric "normal" meaning I was able to eat small portions and I experienced the feeling of hunger. That part of normalcy made me feel right again.

I did AMAZING with the sleeve. The weight just fell off me because I didn't have to fight hunger or the need to eat. I wish I could return to that point again. It was kind of like a forced fasting. Unfortunately, over the past 6 years I have let sugar back into my life (I SO regret this!) as well as diet coke. My head hunger is a savage again and emotional eating is back as well-with a vengeance. Add in full menopause PLUS life stress and I am not in a good place. Enter guilt and ugly self-loathing feelings inside about how I squandered a gift.

My advice is to continue to tell yourself you have a gift. Embrace the absent feeling of hunger while you have it. Embrace being able to eat small amounts. Ignore people that make comments about your small portions and insist you are going to be sick. Leave the sugar and diet soda out as well. If you have de-toxed from them then stay that way.

I finally found an ob/gyn that has helped me get my hormones under control and that in itself has been a lifesaver. I had no idea menopause could make you feel as awful as it did. My body was not meant to run on a level of .0001 of estrogen and a lack of progesterone. Despite extreme exercise (I play tennis at least 3 times each week) I was packing the weight back on. Next week I am starting on a physician supervised weight loss program to the tune of $1300. Not cheap after all I paid for bariatric surgery (band and revision). I am going to have to face detox of sugar and carbonated sodas ALL OVER AGAIN. I know it is coming and it isn't going to be pretty. No one wants to be near me on DAY 1-Sept 13. LOL! Please just trust me that once it is gone-keep it out of your life.

Here is to your success with the revision surgery. I hope that I can also log on again and say that we got my body out of starvation mode and back on the road to true health. I was at goal once upon a time and it feels great! Be vigilant and don't let the good habits slip. Your tool will be there for life if you treat it properly.

Best,

Teachkdz0507

HI

I just posted today. I am getting my sleeve in two weeks. Have been off the band for two years. How are you doing?