Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to sleeve - reflux

Has anyone who had reflux with the band not had it with the sleeve?

I never had reflux till I had a band the reason I had it was the band was too tight.

I was advised to have the bypass because of this.

Band was removed 2 months back but no revision to bypass due to the mess the band had made of my stomach (it had attached itself to my liver) I now need to wait to December to have the next stage.

But unsure I want the bypass now swaying towards sleeve but don't want reflux again x

I had reflux at the end of my band life because it was too tight and needed to be removed. I'm now starting my 4th post op week with my revision to sips DS and haven't had any kind of reflux or anything similar.

Band to SIPS/SA-DI/LOOP DS 8.8.17
HT: 5'6ish HW: 242 SW: 226 CW: 207 GW: Healthy

Can I ask what is sips DS please? X

It's a modified duodenal switch surgery. I have a single anastomoses vs the full DS which has a double anastomoses. I also have a longer common channel (300cm) vs the standard 100cm common channel of the full DS.

http://www.centerforweightlosssurgery.com. This is my surgeons practice, he has information on all the surgeries if you would like to peep it.

Band to SIPS/SA-DI/LOOP DS 8.8.17
HT: 5'6ish HW: 242 SW: 226 CW: 207 GW: Healthy

I never had reflux till I had a band the reason I had it was the band was too tight.
Band was removed 2 months back but no revision to bypass due to the mess the band had made of my stomach (it had attached itself to my liver) I now need to wait to December to have the next stage.
But unsure I want the bypass now swaying towards sleeve but don't want reflux again x

I had bad reflux after having the band for several years. I had the sleeve done 10 weeks ago and haven't had reflux since! But they also repaired the hiatal hernia when they did the sleeve.

On 8/31/2017 at 3:16 AM, hopingforamiracle said:

unsure I want the bypass now swaying towards sleeve but don't want reflux

@hopingforamiracle

if you had reflux prior to surgery, strong possibility you will get reflux again with sleeve. :wacko:

if you get the sleeve and have too many issues with reflux - many OP are now revising

to gastric bypass. reflux should be taken care of with revision. you were advised to

have bypass (by surgeon?) that's also a good reason to do the bypass.

good luck

kathy

Hello, I have had the band for 12 years now. I did initially lose 80 pounds but have gained 30 pounds of that back. I have had no Fluid in my band for a few years and still suffer horribly from restriction and re-flux, aspiration, heartburn.. list goes on. I have an appt in 2 weeks to see a surgeon who will hopefully take it out. I did find out that my insurance will only cover 1 procedure. So if I am wanting any type of revision then now is the time to do it. I am considering the sleeve but hoping that I dont still have all of the issues with re-flux and heartburn. Let me know how things go.

I never had reflux with the band but now have it with the sleeve. Mildly most of the time. I am about 6mo out

Sent from my SM-J327P using BariatricPal mobile app

I started my life or reflux when my 4 yr old band slipped. Dr told me when it came out, my reflux would end. Had I known the sleeve itseld causes a much higher incident of relux, I woulda just had the byoass to begim with. Now 4 yrs after my sleeve revision, Im back to seeing the bariatric surgeon on Oct 17th for revision to RNY. That will be 3 wls's. Almost embarrased to say that. Having the RNY at 160lbs - about 20-30 lbs from goal. Sounds crazy. But I cant wait to sleep thru the nite without choking and coughing up stomach acid and feeling my chest on fire. I sleep in an adjustable bed, am on the reflux diet, and take the tp doses of the strongest meds. My GI told me the next stage is surgery.

Went to the general surgeon 2 weeks ago tot talk about surgery. 2 choices. Nissen Fundoplication or revision to RNY (which usually CURES reflux). Fter my upper gi last Fri, it was determined I dont have enuf stomach left to do th Fundoplcation. They wrap ur stomach around ur esophagus. So the choice was made for me....

Had I known then what I know now.....

Good luck!

On 8/31/2017 at 1:16 AM, hopingforamiracle said:

I'm the opposite.. I had no reflux with the band, but have had reflux ever since my sleeve. No heartburn with it, just the Fluid coming up when I sleep...