Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I regret this surgery

Even early on in ur surgery you can go out to restaurants with friends. I was only 4 days post-op and went to Japanese Hibachi...of course all I could eat was the clear onion Soup and drink Water, but I got to socialize and be with friends. I asked the waiter to bring me a bowl with everyone elses appetizer and then i ordered another bowl during main course....I didnt finish either and just sipped on it, but at least I had something in front of me while everyone was eating. Last night (7 days post-op) I went to the local bar with my friends and drink very diluted cranberry juice...it looked like a mixed drink to everyone else. There are ways to still socialize and be with those you love in public eating places...u just have to b creative and the socialization may help to get ur mind off what ur dealing with emotionally.

You look amazing and congratulations! I pray everyday that I feel better and do better. One of my struggles is comparing my journey to everyone else and it's getting me depressed you know. So thank you I really appreciate this. I'm honestly in supposed groups and were all in the same stage and we are all struggling right now per say. To hear from someone almost 6 months out is good. When did you take that pic?

Tiffani[emoji1528][emoji757]️[emoji175]

Thank you!
The after pic was taken 4/23/17-the 1st day if a 7day cruise-just 7 weeks post surgery (surgery was 3/2/17). The before pic was Christmas 2016.....same dress though (year-round material, sleeves just pushed up)

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

I wont baby you. All i did was tell you what you already know and what your doctor SHOULDVE explained to you before the surgery. You are three weeks out, on here commenting that your life is over and everything is ruined....after THREE WEEKS.

What you should be doing is focusing on your program:
Drink water
Eat popsicles or Jello
Get lots of rest
find something to engage your mind - and keep you from dwelling on these depressive thoughts you described here
start working on Protein intake to meet that goal

You can worry about your friends and your old life and doing all the things from a social aspect later.

This isnt a Jerky comment....this is providing you an ANSWER to help your original question, but you dont want to hear it so you take offense.

Now that I got in your ass you want to offer me some good advice before you was being a jerk. You sit here and act like these emotions are uncommon and that I'm some type of alien or some ****. I can goo all day with the back and forth I really can I really can. Thank you for saying at 3 weeks this is common but just continue to do what your doing thank you. That's what you're trying to say but you don't know how to explain yourself I get it. Thank you

The huge release of extra hormones don't help with our emotions. I'm two months out and know mine have to be extremely high thanks to my monthly visit turning into four. I use to work with IVF patients and can tell you that stress ( which your body is going through due to surgery and a major life change) plus too many hormones leads to depression, anxiety, hopelessness, and mood swings. Try going to your local bariatric support group meetings to talk out what you are going through or the psychiatrist that did your pre op evaluation . Hang in there. It should get better soon.

HW-292 • SW (6/29/17) 256.6 • CW 225.8

I'm about 3 months out and my surgeon told me before the surgery that many people will experience "buyers remorse". Your hormones are going crazy still at 3 weeks out, so some of these negative feelings may be attributed to it. I was a hot mess (still kind of am). I recall sitting at the table and literally crying while I ate soft foods because I was miserable. My husband can eat what he pleases and it was distressing at the time to watch him.
Eventually, this will pass. It's kind of one of the many bumps in this long journey. I don't know how open you are to therapy, but I know I wouldn't have gotten passed this hurdle without my therapist. Sometimes talking without feeling judged helps. I also don't know your prior relationship with food, so I don't know how much of a comfort it was to you. I know for me, my life was food. I used it to cope with everything and after the surgery I had to find different things to use to cope (like exercise and art).
Try to keep in your mind that this is temporary.

I think you're right. I always been a fire cracker but this set my fire. And food was life to me so yes I am taking it hard. I'm just like you I find food to fill anytime of void I may have so it is a lot. I keep saying I'm going to go to therapy and I never do. Why? I don't know because everything you just said I'm feeling at this moment. I appreciate you sharing because this helps me to know I'm not in this alone. Cause I do feel lonely, I feel misunderstood so thank you I really appreciate it.

The huge release of extra hormones don't help with our emotions. I'm two months out and know mine have to be extremely high thanks to my monthly visit turning into four. I use to work with IVF patients and can tell you that stress ( which your body is going through due to surgery and a major life change) plus too many hormones leads to depression, anxiety, hopelessness, and mood swings. Try going to your local bariatric support group meetings to talk out what you are going through or the psychiatrist that did your pre op evaluation . Hang in there. It should get better soon.

HW-292 • SW (6/29/17) 256.6 • CW 225.8

Yeah I'm going to look into that. Thank you

I got my sleeve on the 21st.

I am feeling like I wish that I didn't do it either. I am hungry and so tired. I am so worried about GERD. I have my post op appointment on Thursday.

1 hour ago, QueenTiff said:

This ain't easy sweetie

Tiffaniemoji1528.pngemoji757.pngemoji175.png

I understand you are struggling , but do you really think its wise or fair to tell someone not to get it because of how you feeling? I understand we have all struggled. But someone is really unwell due to obestity related illnesses and you say to them dont get it? Like i said i know what you went through , but even at my lowest i could not imagine going as far as to tell someone not to get it.

But I wish you luck on your journey and i am 8 weeks in and i could not care less if i am miserable sometimes my health has improved so i will never regret it.

Before you snap at me, dont bother, because I am being supportive, i have two toddlers, and im a single mum and sometimes when i was in pain i was wondering whether this is worth it to cook for them try and get in my liquids i was suffering , so no one is judging you. but the bigger picture is we will be healthier people just remember that.

Edited by dreamingsmall

I agree though, the emotional rollorcoaster is not something anyone can prepare for, even if mentaly you have always been stable its hard lol. it can have some dark moments for alot of us, not everyone but get a journal out and write all the things you want to happen from this journey, things you want to be able to do this wil help you see why your struggle is worth it :) when you get into the normal food stage it gets easier.

I got my sleeve on the 21st.
I am feeling like I wish that I didn't do it either. I am hungry and so tired. I am so worried about GERD. I have my post op appointment on Thursday.

Hang in there Ann hang in there

1 hour ago, QueenTiff said:

Idk why I feel this way it's like idk how to control the emotions it's like idk how to describe it. I guess I'm afraid one bad move and I'll f**k myself up and back into the hospital. I never want to go back to that hospital I had the worst after surgery post op day ever and I guess I'm scared of everything and mentally I just don't know how to handle it.

Tiffani

I was really afraid of eating the wrong thing and hurting myself or ending up in the hospital. I was very strict with my food for the first 6 months post-op. That was very helpful because by being very strict, and following my post-op instructions, I was able to create very good habits for myself and learn that I do not need food as a crutch through life. Later when I eased up on my food, I was still able to exhibit more self control.

Pre-op I made myself drink black coffee for 2 weeks to decide if I really liked coffee or if I just liked the stuff in it. By drinking black coffee for 2 weeks I learned that I do really like coffee just for itself and that I can have it with less cream and less sweetener.

That is kind of how I view my life immediately post-op. I learned to live and deal with less, so when I do have more, I am able to control myself easier.

Everyone feels bad when they are on liquids and soft foods, not really chewing is really touch. Once you start having denser food, and can eat more, it is easier to tolerate.

A year or two from now this will just be a distant memory.

I understand you are struggling , but do you really think its wise or fair to tell someone not to get it because of how you feeling? I understand we have all struggled. But someone is really unwell due to obestity related illnesses and you say to them dont get it? Like i said i know what you went through , but even at my lowest i could not imagine going as far as to tell someone not to get it.
But I wish you luck on your journey and i am 8 weeks in and i could not care less if i am miserable sometimes my health has improved so i will never regret it.

Before you snap at me, dont bother, because I am being supportive, i have two toddlers, and im a single mum and sometimes when i was in pain i was wondering whether this is worth it to cook for them try and get in my liquids i was suffering , so no one is judging you. but the bigger picture is we will be healthier people just remember that.

I'm not going to snap at you but right now at this current moment yes I tell people don't get it until you're really really tired. Like obesity is a trigger in a lot of things I agree. But being healthy comes in all types of ways and format. I tell people I wish they can change my brain not my stomach. At this moment yes I do. People can take it or leave it. When I research this thing people sugar coat it and I'm not I give people the real and I tell them everything.

I was sleeved on 8/3. I've hit the three week stall and definitely understand your general frustrations. Yesterday I had anxiety attack out of nowhere. Couldn't breathe, felt like crying. My patience is very thin. The heat is seriously effecting me, and I'm totally weak. Even taking my Vitamins and hitting Protein. I want to get back to exercising but I know I don't have the stamina for much right now :(. I'm sure it will get better, but wanted to share so you don't feel alone. I guess this hormone thing is for real. Hang in there.

I think it is important for people to hear all sides of post-op life. Everyone isn't happy or thrilled with their post-op results or life.

I read the good and the bad and decided it was still the best option for me.

OP is unhappy, let her be unhappy. She is struggling and having a hard time. She is allowed to voice that opinion. Everyone doesn't have an easy recovery. Mine was smooth and easy but I know that isn't the case for everyone.

If someone is dumb enough to let a post on an internet forum really influence their health decisions, they are getting the life they deserve.

I really don't get why you guys are trying to silence her. People post they are miserable like every single day. Let them.

QueenTiff, it might feel better to know that your starting to burn your own fat for fuel releases a lot of excess hormones from your fat cells. One big one is estrogen. Estrogen affects your moods. So it could well be that right now, as you are getting used to this big change in your life, you are being hit with emotions that are hormone driven.

To make yourself feel better, focus on Protein without sugars or fake sugars. liquid (water is best) without sweeteners. Sugars and fake sugars DO affect your pancreas both, and DO affect your gut bacteria which affect your brain and your moods.

Think of it like this: it is GOOD your body is starting to burn its fats. There are some emotional side effects. But it is good for you. Honey, six months were going to go by in your life. August is going to turn into February whether you had the surgery or not. And this way, in February you will be smaller, some of your bad, hey, your worst, habits will be gone, and you won't be regretting.

I am two days shy of 6 weeks. At 3 weeks I couldn't get enough Water (still having trouble) and protein, though better at the protein. I felt a lot like you but not quite the same regrets because I'm probably older. And now things got a LOT better. I'm starting to have real foods. Soft, yeah, or I chew them soft. It is wonderful to have a taste of something I love and SOMEHOW I DONT WANT MORE than that bite. To have one bite and it be enough?? Isn't that the miracle you wanted, why you did the surgery?

Please hon, hang in there. IT GETS BETTER.

(if you can afford it I highly recommend getting an IV of Vitamins and minerals. Some holistic doctors give it, and some "morning after party" companies give them (the docs are cheaper and maybe some can get it covered by insurance). I did it once a week the first 4 weeks. Makes you feel better, less dehydrated.)