Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm nearly a year post sleeve and have lost a really good amount- started about 290, currently bouncing around at 200. I am 5'8 and my doc wants me to be around 170ish. I'm happy with that amount. I have been very active in the gym since the start. This year (Jan 2017) I started weight training 2-3 x's a week in addition to my cardio 2-3 x's a week. I haven't lost any significant weight since December and am confused as to why. I am seeing how people who go thru this can gain their weight back. After time, your stomach will allow you to hold more food allowing you to eat more. With the sleeve, you have much less dumping also. If I had it to do over again, I might chose the rny just because I would be able to "splurge" less and dumping holds you accountable. I also enjoy having wine some too. For lint, I gave up wine and did lose an additional 7-8 lbs. I'm not looking to have anyone scold me for having wine or eating cake here and there. Just looking for encouragement and seeing if anyone else have experienced this.

I'm nearly a year post sleeve and have lost a really good amount- started about 290, currently bouncing around at 200. I am 5'8 and my doc wants me to be around 170ish. I'm happy with that amount. I have been very active in the gym since the start. This year (Jan 2017) I started weight training 2-3 x's a week in addition to my cardio 2-3 x's a week. I haven't lost any significant weight since December and am confused as to why. I am seeing how people who go thru this can gain their weight back. After time, your stomach will allow you to hold more food allowing you to eat more. With the sleeve, you have much less dumping also. If I had it to do over again, I might chose the rny just because I would be able to "splurge" less and dumping holds you accountable. I also enjoy having wine some too. For lint, I gave up wine and did lose an additional 7-8 lbs. I'm not looking to have anyone scold me for having wine or eating cake here and there. Just looking for encouragement and seeing if anyone else have experienced this.

I was just reading about others whom have had a plateau in weight loss, some lasting months. Recommendations to jumpstart your weight loss again were increased Protein, increased fluids and exercise, and increased calories. Hope this helps, oddly, I just read this information about 20 minutes ago [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I have been tp the gym maybe 5 times not counting my stint with crossfit to meet men.

You can't out train a bad diet. You can erase 2 hours in them gym with a few bites of a bad food choice. So working out doesn't matter if you aren't eating right.

Most peoppe with RNY don't dump, at least not long term. They might at first but once their intestines adapt they no longer do. Which means at 1 year or 18 months they are stalled out or regaining from bad food choices like anyone else.

The sleeve is just a tool, it can't save you from yourself. You have to make the right food choices that work with you sleeve not against it.

You can easily get back on track but you are going to have to accept that some things are not helpful for losing weight, like alcohol and other nutrient devoid foods.

Joni you and I could easily be twins on our journey. I stalled major at 9 months and was at 195 for the longest time. What I noticed was that when I stalled my body was in a change mode. It seemed like things kept shifting like the remaining fat didn't know where to settle. It SEEMED like one month I would have no butt and the next no boobs followed by a waist that seemed to thicken and thin. I started to take my measurements , wrist, forearm, upper arm, chest, waist, hips, upper legs, just above the knees, calves and ankles. I kept a diary and noticed that I was still losing inches even when I wasn't losing weight. That was 6 years ago. I did hit 170 and although I am 5'8.5" not really tall, I could see my ribs from collar bone to belly button. My boobs were like two pancakes and my butt the same. It was not very pretty. My husband was not happy but I thought I looked great in clothes,. Plus I was almost 60 and I just wanted to be thin for awhile. Over the years I have gained some weight, not a lot but enough to realize I need to get back on track. I also like to have a bit of wine now and then and love my cake but I found out that they are my trigger foodand love my cake but I realize now they are my "trigger foods" . I eat them and I want more carbs. So you have to decide if you want to have to decide if you want stay where you are or make your goal. I can almost promise you that to continue cheating before you have hit goal and maintained it for a good while you will begin to gain. Good luck my friend, it's never going to be easy but it's always an adventure.

WLS is not a fix. It's a tool. Sleeve, Band or Bypass. It's just tools. They aren't solutions. They are used to "reset" your body so that you can have a chance to reset your attitude about food, diet and exercise. Tools are there to help not be the only solution in the plan...

If you're looking for rationale as to your stall and trying to find excuses or reasons for the stall, look no further than the calories you're consuming and what you're burning. Calories in, Calories out. That concept never changes even if you have WLS.

If you eat cake and drink wine, you better offset that with something that's going to burn those calories off (empty calories I might add) or you'll stall, or worse, gain weight. Nobody can tell you what you can eat or not eat, you need to tell yourself what's acceptable. I prefer to eat what I'd like, when I'd like -- but I'm also tuned into the fact that my weight is not going to stay the same or will not lose weight if I don't change my attitudes and my thinking.

I didn't get obese because I ate well, i got that way because I had bad habits and didn't care what I put in mouth. Once I had the sleeve, I adjusted my relationship with food. I also adjusted to the feeling of "being full" and know when to stop.

I love that I can't fit much into my stomach anymore -- to me, this is the biggest win. As soon as I feel full, i stop. I also make much better food choices. Do I eat things like pizza? Sure. But I might have one slice and have some salad where as before, I'd have three or slices and maybe an appetizer. I'm not going to deny myself the things that I want, but I'm also not going to fool myself into thinking that the food I want is healthy. So I limit what what is, the size of the portion I have.

I think if you stop eating everything that you like, you're going to fail. Why? Because you're not going to be happy and you'll completely go off the course. Denying yourself something is fine as long as you can feel fulfilled, if you can't, you need to find a happy medium.

So eat things you like, but make sure you offset that with good healthy choices and if you do eat those things, make sure you track the calories so you can burn them off later with exercise.

Good luck,

Edited by BostonGary

You all are so incredibly helpful. I was ready for some lashing, didn't get that. Didn't get babied either- which I don't want or need. I got reality- which I need. This is all so enlightening and helpful. Each of you are right and this mentality is how I ballooned up as big as I did. Thank you to my bari pals. I am glad I came back to this app today [emoji7]

Check back in with your bariatric doc and get some blood work done. Maybe it is a hormone issue or something.

You seem smart. You know what you need to do ;)

shake things up. Start tracking on an app like My Fitness Pal, figure out where you need to be calorie and Protein wise to start losing again. Get at least 10,000 steps in a day. Lay off the wine and sugar. You'll have plenty of time for that as an occasional splurge once you get where you want to be. Put your nose to the grindstone and get to that goal weight if that's what you really want. After the honeymoon period ends, it's really hand to hand combat to get the rest of the weight off. Now win the battle!

You seem smart. You know what you need to do [emoji6]
shake things up. Start tracking on an app like My Fitness Pal, figure out where you need to be calorie and Protein wise to start losing again. Get at least 10,000 steps in a day. Lay off the wine and sugar. You'll have plenty of time for that as an occasional splurge once you get where you want to be. Put your nose to the grindstone and get to that goal weight if that's what you really want. After the honeymoon period ends, it's really hand to hand combat to get the rest of the weight off. Now win the battle!

You are SO right!!! Thanks for having my back!

I'm only 4 months but this last month I have been having a lot of wine and exercising a lot but my weight loss went to a stand still. I think the wine has a lot to do with it- sucks
You lost almost a 100 pounds that's amazing! Don't put too much pressure or then you'll stress and create more cortisol which holds the fat. Be proud of how far you come and appreciate your journey you are doing it!

It really does suck. Its nice to know i'm not the only one. Thanks :)

How are you doing Joni?