Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent Travelers & Road warriors, how to stick to it??

Hi,

Just wondering how many of you frequently travel for work or personal and how you deal with sticking to the diet/protein when traveling?

I travel for work quite a bit and I'm ok to focus on eating right and Protein when I travel within the U.S.

However, International travel is really hard for me. First of all, I don't do Protein Shakes, bc it is not easy to find milk. I am on the go a lot. and I hate Water with my Protein Shake. Second, I am a really picky eater and eat vegetarian, so I end up eating a lot of salad and pizza (gasp) (bc pizza is internationally the same pretty much anywhere).

I am in Europe this week and this is my diet every day:

breakfast: water

Lunch: salad

Dinner: pizza

I am soo good at home. Travelin always gets me.

Also, will I not have this problem when I get a fill?!!:help:

you definitely need to be eating more Protein. Try packing things like nuts and Peanut Butter crackers. String cheese, yogurt. Eat more fruit and try to lay off the pizza. After a fill, pizza may not be an option anymore. Good luck travelling must be hard especially since you are vegetarian. Your not vegan are you?

i keep a fully stocked locker at my job , full of Protein Shakes and Soup, i have apple sauce and fruit cups too. im not home much , im always at the barn or work or traveling. so i keep lots of Protein Drinks at all locations. i do salads daily and i can buy them anywhere..... i eat at the outback steakhouse a lot. they have great salad and salmon......... i also carry Protein Powder that is vanilla flavored. i mix that with orange juice , tastes really good......

I'm being banded next Friday 10/19. I travel all the time for business and personal reasons. Business is mostly domestic, but personal is mostly international. I'm actuallyl going to Thailand 4 weeks after surgery.

That's one of my bigger concerns - nothing like having 20 minutes to change gates, grab lunch and get to you're next connection. Choices are difficult. Should be pretty easy though to find Soups.< /p>

Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello,

My nutritionist suggested a book called "Eating on The Run" by Evelyn Tribble. I am going to buy it, based on her suggestion (and looking through the book online at Amazon.com.< /p>

:ranger: The book looks pretty good, with lists of stuff to stock up on for busy days.

Margie

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f9/go-solid-protien-42057/ for on the go Proteins, but much of that you won't be able to get through customs. International travel brings a few more limitations.

I don't worry too much about being good when I travel. I'm usually travelling to Florida and Florida's key lime pie is way too good to bother myself with being good.

European pizza is probably better for you than American pizza. They tend to use thinner, more wholesome crusts and better quality ingredients. I wouldn't sweat it if that's what you need to eat, just make sure to get a meat topping (many European places use ox, which is leaner than our beef topping).

I don't know where in Europe you are, but most places have some type of gyros meat (in the Scandinavian areas they call it "kebab") that is fairly high in Protein, esp. if you can get a turkey & lamb blend.

You should be able to get a sealed package of Protein Bars through customs. That's a good alternative to protein drinks.< /p>

Hi everyone thanks for the repsonses. I am lacto-ovo vegetarian so I eat eggs and drink milk, but stay away from any kind of meat.

Thanks for the recommendation on the book, Margie. I will buy it this weekend!

I think that I will have to just make Protein bars a staple for when I travel.

Wheetsin, you are right, European pizza is way better for you than American pizza. The pizza I was eating was whole grain, very very thin crust and not greasy like American pizza. I was in Finland and if I was not veg, I would try the kebab (I see the signs everywhere!).

Tulip -thanks for the post. We have alot in common. I was banded on Monday (10/08) and I travel ALOT for work as well. My next trip is the 24th and I will be on mushies - so I am nervous but hope it will go well.

socal- I will be in India and the Philippines on Nov 9 - exactly a month after my surgery. I will not have my first fill by then but I am still anxious about the whole thing.

I eat meat but still worry about the travel.

Thanks for the post, it is helpful.