Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having RNY to help gastroparesis?

Having gastric bypass is my Gastroenterologist's last ditch effort to help treat my gastroparesis. I also have Crohn's disease, in remission right now. Also Hashimoto's, fibromyalgia, Migraines, and a host of bizarre autoimmune problems. I'm barely eating and should weigh 90 lbs, but I continue to gain weight, even after having my thyroid out. Dr hopes the RNY will ease my stomach pain, nausea, and poor motility.

Wow, your plate is FULL! The bypass does tend to change a whole lot of hormonal issues, and can give a "reset". Here's hoping it'll do just that for you! It sounds like your doc is hoping to "bypass" the parts of the stomach with impaired motility. Seems like a reasonable hope :)

With your whole host of problems, I'm just wondering what sorts of diets you've tried in the past to try and manage those issues, and whether anything seemed to help...

I actually didn't find out that I had Gastroparesis until I was already in my 6 month program to get gastric bypass.

But I was told that it would help. Although my first 2 months were a bit rough with the nausea and vomiting.

Sent from my SM-N920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I actually didn't find out that I had Gastroparesis until I was already in my 6 month program to get gastric bypass.

But I was told that it would help. Although my first 2 months were a bit rough with the nausea and vomiting.

Pain and nausea are my current reality every day. I can't imagine the surgery making it worse.

How is your gastroparesis after surgery? Any improvement?

Pain and nausea are my current reality every day. I can't imagine the surgery making it worse.

How is your gastroparesis after surgery? Any improvement?

I'm 7 months out now and I'm fine. I probably throw up a few times a month.

Ok, found something interesting today. In another thread, people are asking about getting a runny nose when they eat after surgery. Doesn't happen to everyone, but isn't uncommon. I was looking for information on the vagus nerve to mention, as it could be the root cause of the drippy nose. Here is part of an article that I feel applies to you.

The Vagus Nerve and Other Health Issues

Hunger is one big reason why the vagus nerve is important. But if you take a dive into PubMed, you’ll find that vagus nerve dysfunction is actually associated with all kinds of other problems. That’s because the vagus nerve also helps to regulate inflammation, and inflammation is involved in just about every chronic disease. Stimulating vagus nerve signals to the brain is anti-inflammatory – it signals the brain to turn down the stress response and reduce the production of inflammatory cytokines.

upset stomach

The effects here are a little hard to untangle because the vagus nerve is a two-way street and there are a lot of complicated feedback loops between the brain and the gut (remember that the vagus nerve runs both ways!). But for people who just care about improving their health, the exact mechanism might be less important than the results, which are definitely impressive:

If a bad diet is affecting the sensitivity of your vagus nerve, it could also have secondhand effects on all these diseases. This could be one reason why gut health is such a big player in overall health.

Here is the link to the whole article:

https://paleoleap.com/vagus-nerve-for-health-weight-loss/

The good news is bariatric surgery does seem to change the vagus nerve signalling. So maybe this is part of why many of us seem to get so much healthier after surgery (beyond just weight loss).