Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I'll spare you the whole drawn out story, but the short version is this: I had lap band surgery pretty young 12 years ago. I lost 100% of excess weight, had reconstructive surgeries, was in treatment for an eating disorder and gained it all back. I'm fully recovered and figuring out what's next. I have worked with my surgeon with the band and it isn't useful anymore. Any fills at all give me HORRIBLE heartburn and even without a fill, food gets stuck every meal.

I'm strongly considering a revision to bypass or sleeve (can't decide). Have any of you done this? What was weight loss like the second time around? How was it different? I have about 170ish to lose. I'm 32 now and was 20 when I had the band put in.

I had the conversion from band to sleeve a little over 5 months again. Sleeve is much better in my opinion, I have lost almost twice as much weight weight in 5 months than I ever did in the 5 years I had the band. Eating is still restrictive, but you feel full more naturally than the oh-my-god stabbing pain of a full lap band. If I had known this before I tried the band there is no way I would have wasted my time with it.

I would be concerned that you are experiencing horrible heartburn. Individuals with severe acid reflux (GERD) should opt for RNY gastric bypass instead of sleeve because sleeve surgery will only make that condition worst.

So the main question is your severe acid reflux a result of the band or is it a permanent condition. Anyways this is a subject that I would consult with your surgeon about.

I would be concerned that you are experiencing horrible heartburn. Individuals with severe acid reflux (GERD) should opt for RNY gastric bypass instead of sleeve because sleeve surgery will only make that condition worst.
So the main question is your severe acid reflux a result of the band or is it a permanent condition. Anyways this is a subject that I would consult with your surgeon about.

It's absolutely the band. When there's no Fluid in it the reflux goes away. Thanks for flagging that!

Having had the band so long, it's possible there is damage to your stomach wall. Many times this influences which procedure you get. (Usually bypass since the pouch would be formed out of the stomach that previously was above the band)

Your surgeon can help make this determination.

I'm inclined to say the bypass because revisions aren't quite as effective as virgin procedures, and so the extra oomph could work in your favor. It's generally a one-and-done type procedure.

Another option to consider is start with a sleeve, leaving possibility of DS open down the road. (two surgeries)

It's always a tough decision... good luck, whatever you decide!

Personally I wouldn't go into a revision with the thought of having another surgery. If you are like me, I want it done right the 1st time. I know about the Band as my hubby had his for 13years and then all of the sudden he couldn't eat or drink. The plan was to revise the band to the RNY. When they got in there his band had eroded into his Liver. There was to much bleeding and damage that they backed out and told him in 3 months they would do another surgery to the RNY, he got deathly sick because he had Abcesses. He was so sick and it went on and on!! For 9 months and 2 extra surgeries and Wound Vac and daily removal of the black bandage that looked like a SOS pad. # months he doesn't even remember!! It was HORRIBLE to say the least!! Fast forward to 2015, we used my Kia Soul and got a loan. We went to Juarez, Mexico. Thats another story that I won't have you suffer thru. When they got in there his entire right side was solid scar tissue, once again they couldn't do the revision to a RNY!! They did do a SLEEVE on him and a year later he has lost 135#'s!! Also lost enough that they could do a ablasion on his kidney because he had Cancer. They couldn't do anything until he lost enough weight. So that was a huge relief for us all. Any how this has been a long post and I am sorry, but I just wanted to say we don't always get what we want done so I stick with my upper post as "Don't go into WLS thinking that later you can have another WLS done. Good Luck I look forward to following your journey!!

Personally I wouldn't go into a revision with the thought of having another surgery. If you are like me, I want it done right the 1st time. I know about the Band as my hubby had his for 13years and then all of the sudden he couldn't eat or drink. The plan was to revise the band to the RNY. When they got in there his band had eroded into his Liver. There was to much bleeding and damage that they backed out and told him in 3 months they would do another surgery to the RNY, he got deathly sick because he had Abcesses. He was so sick and it went on and on!! For 9 months and 2 extra surgeries and Wound Vac and daily removal of the black bandage that looked like a SOS pad. # months he doesn't even remember!! It was HORRIBLE to say the least!! Fast forward to 2015, we used my Kia Soul and got a loan. We went to Juarez, Mexico. Thats another story that I won't have you suffer thru. When they got in there his entire right side was solid scar tissue, once again they couldn't do the revision to a RNY!! They did do a SLEEVE on him and a year later he has lost 135#'s!! Also lost enough that they could do a ablasion on his kidney because he had Cancer. They couldn't do anything until he lost enough weight. So that was a huge relief for us all. Any how this has been a long post and I am sorry, but I just wanted to say we don't always get what we want done so I stick with my upper post as "Don't go into WLS thinking that later you can have another WLS done. Good Luck I look forward to following your journey!!

Thanks. If I weren't doing another surgery, I would probably just leave the band in. It's annoying, but not worth the surgery just to remove.

5 hours ago, James Marusek said:

I had horrible reflux with the band and have not had a single incident since I was sleeved. Just my $.02.

37 minutes ago, twistedbarbieLA said:

Why did you choose sleeve?

Because I was no longer losing weight with the band.

I chose it because I did not like the idea of having malabsorption and the related bowel issues that I felt came with it. I also did not want to be on the surgery table for an hour and a half. This is not to say bypass is a bad choice, because it isn't. I just felt it was not right for me.