Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op 3 days vocal cord damage; Hernia Repair

I am new here. I had Gastric Sleeve surgery Tuesday morning June 27, 2017. My GI doctor told the surgeon that I had a hiatal hernia that needed to be fixed; my surgeon reassured me she would fix it. My 1 1/2 to 2 hour surgery turned into 4 hours. My surgeon said I had one of the biggest hernia's she has ever seen. She told me that a large portion of my stomach was inside of the hernia and it was tricky to fix, but she did fix it. I woke up not being able to talk, dry heaving over and over again. I also had a major asthma attack in recovery and needed breathing treatments. They kept me two days because of the severe tightening in my lungs and chest and the voice. The asthma got better on day 2, the voice did not; they sent me home with an appt for one week followup to take out the abdominal draining tube and pouch. It is day 3 and I still cannot talk. I have been reassured that my voice will come back in a week or so if I give it rest. Has anyone else out there ever experienced this before? I am worried that they damaged my vocal cord nerves and reading up on that...it is very difficult to fix.

Deborah,

I had my surgery the exact same day and time as you. My anesthesiologist said I might have a sore throat two tubes were going down our throat oxygen and the tube they use to measure the sleeve. I cant remember it's name. My throat did not hurt at all. Everything else did and I had dry heaves as well. With what you went through is is not surprising your vocal folds are swollen. I said a prayer that all your inflammation goes down quickly!

Ellen

I had a massive hiatal hernia repair as well, I am so sorry to hear about your complications!! I can't imagine how worried I'd be, but please try to give yourself the time and not freak out yet. Good luck, I will be sending you all my good thoughts!!

Wondering how you are doing? Is your throat any better?

Day 6 post op and my voice still hasn't come back. No mini-mouse, no scratchy-type voice....100% gone. I see the surgeon tomorrow to take out my draining tube. She called me Friday night and I could not talk. She seemed worried, which I would hope so. She said that she would send me to an ENT. I am also having such a hard time getting the liquids down. I can only get about two sips down and then I have to wait about 10 minutes. On this schedule, I cannot get 1-2 ounces down every 15 minutes. Does it get better?

Day 6 post op and my voice still hasn't come back. No mini-mouse, no scratchy-type voice....100% gone. I see the surgeon tomorrow to take out my draining tube. She called me Friday night and I could not talk. She seemed worried, which I would hope so. She said that she would send me to an ENT. I am also having such a hard time getting the liquids down. I can only get about two sips down and then I have to wait about 10 minutes. On this schedule, I cannot get 1-2 ounces down every 15 minutes. Does it get better?

Wow. I'm so sorry. I hope it's not serious. That's frightening.

Idk if the drinking is related to your throat. If it's not then it definitely improves as you heal.

Deborah I am praying for you. Please keep us updated!

Yesterday, July 3rd I went to see my surgeon to have the draining tube taken out. Because I basically ended up having two major surgeries on June 27th and my vocal cords were damaged, I was having a hard time adjusting and getting any kind of shakes down. I was doing well with my meds, shot, and hygiene, but in so much pain that I was sleeping. My surgeon got on me for that and said I should be drinking 64 ounces of Water a day and 3 Protein Shakes. Plus walking at a brisk pace for 30 minutes outside. Not sure what universe she is living in, but that is not normal just a few days out of surgery. I ended up in the ER this morning with an ear infection and my drainage site looking infected. I am super clean, I used to work in a Lab. I have all the materials to keep everything germ-free. I am now on antibiotics. And, My VOICE is still not back. The surgeon referred me to an ENT, but they are unable to see me until Julyu19th. I go back to work tomorrow, no choice, coworkers on vacation. This ought to be real interesting....

Wow July 19h and working today! It doesn't seem like your surgeon is being real. I haven't gotten 64 ounces of liquid yet and I am counting my shakes as part of the liquid. Do what you can and don't sweat what you cant and don't lift anything you shouldn't. don't need pulled stitch pain on top of everything!

Went to see my surgeon yesterday, July 6th. My wounds were starting to look ugly. An infection was starting so they put me on 10 days (4x a day) antibiotic that specializes in surgery wounds. I am now on two different antibiotics. Voice still not back. Stopped at a health food store and picked up some high-grade Probiotics.

Wow! I am so sorry this is still going on!!

I am sorry as well! how did work go?

With the new antibiotic, I can feel things starting to get better....slow, but better. I only lasted half a day at work on Wednesday. Not going back until Tuesday. Thanks for asking. I have tried to update my weight and find how you all do that fancy graph, but unable to see where to add, edit, etc.

With the new antibiotic, I can feel things starting to get better....slow, but better. I only lasted half a day at work on Wednesday. Not going back until Tuesday. Thanks for asking. I have tried to update my weight and find how you all do that fancy graph, but unable to see where to add, edit, etc.

You've been through the ringer.
So you still have no voice at all? No improvements? And on top of that you have an infection? I feel so bad for you. That's pretty miserable.
Glad you got more time off work. You need to heal.