Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Agree With Brad ??

So many who follow Christianity don't follow the laws of Christ, so in my heart it makes the whole religion come off as hypocritical.

I wasn't addressing my comment to you, WABB....it was because of comments like this one.

I wasn't addressing my comment to you, WABB....it was because of comments like this one.

I understand what you are saying but I don't see SSDiva as saying everyone IS hypocritical, I see her as saying she sometimes FEELS that way.

Not being a Christian brings out the bizarre types many times. Check out an atheist board someday and just see which folks are representing Christianity in an attempt to convert the heathens. You can't help but to take a double look with a raised eyebrow.

I think one of the problems is that most Christians are just out living their lives doing their thing. The crazier of the Christians are the ones that are screaming the loudest. Televangelists for example, Fred Phelps is another. When some of us are bombarded with the crazy types it sometimes does SEEM like the whole religion is batty. But if you really pin folks down I suspect they will say something similar to my point. The loud mouthy obnoxious folks are taking it upon themselves to represent the religion but that doesn't mean everyone is like that and the more rational of we non Christians know that regardless of how it seems on some days.

I understand what you are saying but I don't see SSDiva as saying everyone IS hypocritical, I see her as saying she sometimes FEELS that way.

Not being a Christian brings out the bizarre types many times. Check out an atheist board someday and just see which folks are representing Christianity in an attempt to convert the heathens. You can't help but to take a double look with a raised eyebrow.

I think one of the problems is that most Christians are just out living their lives doing their thing. The crazier of the Christians are the ones that are screaming the loudest. Televangelists for example, Fred Phelps is another. When some of us are bombarded with the crazy types it sometimes does SEEM like the whole religion is batty. But if you really pin folks down I suspect they will say something similar to my point. The loud mouthy obnoxious folks are taking it upon themselves to represent the religion but that doesn't mean everyone is like that and the more rational of we non Christians know that regardless of how it seems on some days.

I agree with you. And Fred Phelps should never call himself a Christian.... he and his followers are the meanest, looniest NON-Christians I have ever seen! What a travesty his "church" is.

I think any discussion of the negatives of Christianity should also highlight the positive. Christians have done amazingly good things. They have and continue to bring millions of tons of food to the hungry, housing for the homeless, clothes to the needy, they donate their resources to bring medicine to the sick and and education to the illiterate. They do this all over the world. Many fine organizations and hospitals/clinics have been started by Christians. The people doing these things are not perfect. I'm sure many of them have had ugly moments and have not always said or done nice things. But Christianity demands of its followers that they always seek to improve and become more "Christ-like", and most of the Christians I know, while flawed, do seek to become more loving and charitable. It grieves me to see a whole group judged by the few who aren't doing what they should.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say... I have experienced the same, I've seen many Christians doing good, but I'm aware that some don't, but it's sad that Christianity is judged based on the ones that are doing wrong... I think it's not fair... and also, when someone is trying to improve and become a better person in general, as long as is trying, that's Christ like behavior... one does not have to be perfect.. Thank you!

Elena

I agree with you. And Fred Phelps should never call himself a Christian.... he and his followers are the meanest, looniest NON-Christians I have ever seen! What a travesty his "church" is.

Exactly! Phelps is not a Christian, he can cal himself that or whatever he wants, but he is just not one.... I'm talking about real Christ followers... the ones that are trying to be like Him and that may never be because they are not perfect, but at least they try...

Yes, that's what I was trying to say... I have experienced the same, I've seen many Christians doing good, but I'm aware that some don't, but it's sad that Christianity is judged based on the ones that are doing wrong... I think it's not fair... and also, when someone is trying to improve and become a better person in general, as long as is trying, that's Christ like behavior... one does not have to be perfect.. Thank you!

Elena

Any idea how much I am judged for not being Christian? Wanna compare notes? :)

Do you know it is still on the books in TX that "my kind" are unable to run for political office?

I think THAT isn't fair.

Any idea how much I am judged for not being Christian? Wanna compare notes? :)

Do you know it is still on the books in TX that "my kind" are unable to run for political office?

I think THAT isn't fair.

And it isn't.... again, what's not fair is that a group, any group, is judged by a few or some tha are doing wrong... I don't think anybody should be judged by others. period.

Many Christians feel they are judged and persecuted for being Christian. They really have no idea. I'm not saying all Christians, I'm referring to the ones that scream "persecution" non stop.

I doubt they'd want to trade places with my kind. They might get quite a lesson. They would be unable to tell the truth in a work setting and I'll go as far as to say that many times they'd have to lie and pretend they are Christian. They would lose friends if their friends found out, the world is much different than they might realize.

Many Christians feel they are judged and persecuted for being Christian. They really have no idea. I'm not saying all Christians, I'm referring to the ones that scream "persecution" non stop.

I doubt they'd want to trade places with my kind. They might get quite a lesson. They would be unable to tell the truth in a work setting and I'll go as far as to say that many times they'd have to lie and pretend they are Christian. They would lose friends if their friends found out, the world is much different than they might realize.

I agree with Wasa on this issue. Because Christians form the majority in North America there is simply no way that they can legitimately claim that they are a persecuted group.

I will also mention that I am a member of an atheist website and that there are a number of members who post who live in the Bible Belt. These individuals have commented that they are unable to come out about their lack of belief to their communities or even to their extended families because this would cause them to be shunned and they would, of course, lose their ability to earn a living as well. I found these tales extraordinarily interesting. You see, I live in a large Canadian city and the issue of my faith rarely enters the conversation unless it is within the context of childhood experiences or within the framework of anti-Semitism.

I agree with Wasa on this issue. Because Christians form the majority in North America there is simply no way that they can legitimately claim that they are a persecuted group.

I will also mention that I am a member of an atheist website and that there are a number of members who post who live in the Bible Belt. These individuals have commented that they are unable to come out about their lack of belief to their communities or even to their extended families because this would cause them to be shunned and they would, of course, lose their ability to earn a living as well. I found these tales extraordinarily interesting. You see, I live in a large Canadian city and the issue of my faith rarely enters the conversation unless it is within the context of childhood experiences or within the framework of anti-Semitism.

As the rate of Christianity drops and Wicca and atheism increases, I do see it getting better but we are a long way from 'curing' society of hate.

My sis is gay and she lives in Denver. They actually attempted to pass laws that gays could be denied housing, jobs, etc.

Sometimes I feel like I live in a very primitive and superstitious world.

As the rate of Christianity drops and Wicca and atheism increases, I do see it getting better but we are a long way from 'curing' society of hate.

My sis is gay and she lives in Denver. They actually attempted to pass laws that gays could be denied housing, jobs, etc.

Sometimes I feel like I live in a very primitive and superstitious world.

Firstly that law is ridiculous and I don't agree with it.

Now, do you mean that since atheism and Wicca are growing and Christianity is dropping and because of that things are going to get better? I'm sorry I'm a little slow today....I'm tire, sleepy...ugh! please elaborate....how is it going to bet better? meaning that by Christianity not being the main religion or lack of thereof is supposed to makes things better? excuse my mentally defective brain this morning...lol!

Yes, the American and Canadian psyche are very different: this is a largely secular country and we have legalised same sex marriage. Of course the weight of our population now resides in cities and urbanites do tend to be more "modern." Our rural folk are also very, very socially conservative.

This is not to say that Canada is a better country. We produce truly dreadful entertainment for the most part and it is for this reason that we spend most of our time watching American TV and movies. Or the Brit stuff. I spend exactly one hour per week watching our national television network, the CBC.

I believe that America has traditionally been viewed as the land of opportunity and as a generous hearted country, one which fosters creativity in all fields including the intellectual and financial arenas. Since the rise of the religious right, the invasion of Iraq, the numerous political gaffes of mini-Bush and his gang - and these are all documented in the foreign press - and the mishandling of the Katrina tragedy, America has lost much of its former lustre globally speaking. This is to be regretted. The rest of us in the West really do need a strong, wise and modern America.

Firstly that law is ridiculous and I don't agree with it.

Now, do you mean that since atheism and Wicca are growing and Christianity is dropping and because of that things are going to get better? I'm sorry I'm a little slow today....I'm tire, sleepy...ugh! please elaborate....how is it going to bet better? meaning that by Christianity not being the main religion or lack of thereof is supposed to makes things better? excuse my mentally defective brain this morning...lol!

The rate of Christianity has been dropping by about 1% annually since the 80s. Wicca numbers are skyrocketing and atheism is climbing quite well, not nearly as much as Wiccans.

The fewer Christians there are means the fewer nutty extreme Christians so the easier it is on we non Christians.

I believe it is something like by the year 2032 if current trends continue, Christianity will no longer be the majority religion in the US.

The rate of Christianity has been dropping by about 1% annually since the 80s. Wicca numbers are skyrocketing and atheism is climbing quite well, not nearly as much as Wiccans.

The fewer Christians there are means the fewer nutty extreme Christians so the easier it is on we non Christians.

I believe it is something like by the year 2032 if current trends continue, Christianity will no longer be the majority religion in the US.

Ok then, so I was understanding correctly... if that trend continues, I agree it could be beneficial for non-christians... now better in general...? I don't know about that... I personally don't think it will be better...